Your favorite console controller...

What is your favorite console controller?

• NES

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • SNES

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • N64

Votes: 12 6.0%
  • Sega Genesis

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Sega Dreamcast

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • PS2 Dualshock

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • XBOX

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • XBOX 360

Votes: 103 51.8%
  • PS3

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Wii

Votes: 18 9.0%

• Total voters

chew63

Gawd
Just reading another thread and thought this would make an interesting poll...

What is your favorite controller and why? Could be your favorite for nostalgia, performance, or looks...

all time mine is the 360 controller, just for the feel and weight, not to mention wireless.

With the exception of the horrible directional pad, I'd have to say the Xbox 360 controller. It's the perfect size and shape, and is very comfortable.

The 360's controller is my favorite. I like the general feel and analog stick placement. My only gripe is the d-pad.

The original NES controller holds a place in my heart, but thankfully I don't still hold it in my hand. Same with the Intellivision controller.

The worst controller was the Dreamcast controller. That thing seriously hurt my hands.

Tough call. The 360's pad is great for everything, but that D-pad is possibly the worst one ever. It forces you to use the analog for old-school games and fighting games...which isn't natural. I went with the PS2 dual shock...but I really preferred the ORIGINAL PS1 dual analog which had indented analog sticks just like the 360's pad did. It was a little larger, too. The only thing it lacked was rumble...which I don't care about anyway.
Best controller EVER.

I went with the PS2 dual shock...but I really preferred the ORIGINAL PS1 dual analog which had indented analog sticks just like the 360's pad did. It was a little larger, too. The only thing it lacked was rumble...which I don't care about anyway.
Best controller EVER.

yeah, limited slots and it's similarity to the ps2 controller kept it from being on the list. I also thought of the Turbo Grafx pad and the Atari Jaguar, though there's probably only 50 or so people that ever used that one.

oh and the Neo Geo doohickey.

dang it...freakin' forgot the Gamecube controller.

The N64 controller is still genius. Only gripe I have with the design is the quality of the joystick. Doubt you'll find a joystick that's not all wobbly and loose by now.

I liked the PSX/PS2/PS3 controllers, but I found that after long sessions, it begins to rub the skin off my 2nd knuckles on the middle fingers. :eek:

I was one of those wierdos that actually liked the fatty XBOX controller. I have somewhat big thin fingers, I measured 8" from the bottom of my palm to the top of my middle finger, so wrapping my hands around the fatty was easy and comfortable.

Xbox360 and the XBOX controller S take the cake. X360 moreso because of the bumper button placement, thank goodness they did away with the black and white buttons.

Not on list, Gamecube controller is my pick. It could be replaced by the Wii controller, but only time will tell. I want to see how well it works for more games.

Tough call. The 360's pad is great for everything, but that D-pad is possibly the worst one ever. .

The D-pad on the 360 controller can be very easily fixed. It's not a problem with the D-pad itself, but the controller shell. I've fixed the D-pad on all my 360 controllers and it works great.

I don't understand why MS hasn't updated the molds to fix it yet.

I was one of those wierdos that actually liked the fatty XBOX controller.

I liked (and still do), the original Xbox controller. A lot of people didn't like the size of it, but I always thought it was quite comfortable, and never did get any S-Controllers.

I like the 360 controller, but my fav has to be the N64.

as far as innovation goes, the wiimote wins, but i still vote N64

My vote lies with the wii controller/nunchuck, not so much for the motion controls, but for the fact that as two parts I can place my hands at whatever angle/position is most comfortable...and while the 360 controller is a great fit, I find the Wii control scheme to be more comfortable overall.

Gamecube is easy #1.

But 360 is definitely a very close 2nd. I don't even play it much (only at the friend's house), but it literally melts into my hands. Good thing MS learned from the xbox debacle (massive American controller = crap).

I voted 360. It is the best yet. But honourable mention to the Dreamcast controller. It was really good too.

I don't have a 360, but I use a 360 controller on my PC and it's definately the best controller I've used (on any platform).

With the exception of the horrible directional pad, I'd have to say the Xbox 360 controller. It's the perfect size and shape, and is very comfortable.

Echo. D pad is horendous, but everything else is top notch.

My vote goes to the Xbox 360 controller. The only problem with it is the lousy D-Pad. Maybe they'll fix it when the next Xbox console comes out?

DualShock 2, easily for me. At least 2500 hours or more spent with those controllers, easily (...and rather sadly too I guess :eek:).

Though I admit, the 360 controller ain't bad at all, other than the D-Pad that can't even compare to the DualShock's. Very comfy and easy to use even for extended sessions.

I think I'll be happy with the DualShock 3 (finally, a wireless DualShock 2 that they should have released 5 years ago!)

*EDIT* Amusingly enough, Intellitext (or w/e it is now), only gave me a link for the Genesis from the poll, heheh.

What no Gamecube controller on there? I would think the Wavebird should at least have gotten a mention. IMO, that controller was second only to the 360 controller. And who the hell is voting for the N64 controller? That was one of the most gawdawful controllers ever made. Yeah, analog and rumble were big advances at the time, but the actual design and ergonomics of that controller were absolutely terrible.

My vote goes to the Xbox 360 controller. The only problem with it is the lousy D-Pad. Maybe they'll fix it when the next Xbox console comes out?
Doubtful, the problem is that Sony and Nintendo both hold a whole bunch of patents on how you can make a D-pad.

What no Gamecube controller on there?

yeah, that was a bad omission on my part.

It's amazing that MS did so poorly on their first attempt and then completely turned it around the second time. I absolutely hated the "fatty".

The best controller to date is the Xbox 360 controller. It is the perfect size and the placement of the analog sticks is the best possible. The Type-S controller for the original Xbox is a close second.

The worst controller ever made is the PlayStation Dual Shock controller. I've spent countless hours, probably days, of my life playing PlayStation, PlayStation2, and PlayStation3 but the controller is absolutely horrible.

My biggest complaint is that it is entirely too small. I guess if you're ten years old it might feel comfortable in your hands but for me it's tiny. This usually causes my hands to cramp up in less than an hour of playing time, sometimes within a half an hour. You would think as much as Sony pushes their system towards adults, they would make a controller big enough for an adult.

The other major complaint I have is the analog stick placement. To sum it up in one word: terrible. The directional pad and left analog stick should have swapped positions after the original PlayStation when the move towards using analog control in all games started. Why Sony never decided to do this just baffles me.

I even prefer the Dreamcast controller to the Dual Shock, and that thing is awful.

mine was the 360pad until my dualshock 3s arrived this morning! I think the 360 pad is best for fps and the dualshock 3 for everything else

The best controller to date is the Xbox 360 controller. It is the perfect size and the placement of the analog sticks is the best possible. The Type-S controller for the original Xbox is a close second.

The worst controller ever made is the PlayStation Dual Shock controller. I've spent countless hours, probably days, of my life playing PlayStation, PlayStation2, and PlayStation3 but the controller is absolutely horrible.

My biggest complaint is that it is entirely too small. I guess if you're ten years old it might feel comfortable in your hands but for me it's tiny. This usually causes my hands to cramp up in less than an hour of playing time, sometimes within a half an hour. You would think as much as Sony pushes their system towards adults, they would make a controller big enough for an adult.

The other major complaint I have is the analog stick placement. To sum it up in one word: terrible. The directional pad and left analog stick should have swapped positions after the original PlayStation when the move towards using analog control in all games started. Why Sony never decided to do this just baffles me.

I even prefer the Dreamcast controller to the Dual Shock, and that thing is awful.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Most uncomfortable controller ever. The Dual Shock is the only thing keeping me from grabbing a $399 PS3.

360 controller FTW, followed by Gamecube controller.

I thought the Dual Shock was fine for its time but it definitely needed a redesign and Sony really let people down by just releasing the same thing for the PS3. The analog sticks aren't that great. It was neat when they just added them to the original Playstation controller but they were just kinda tacked on. I don't think they were a horrible design, just not something to hang on to for 3 generations of the system. I hope the the Dual Shock 3 is the last incarnation of that design.

I have to agree thatthe Dualshock sucks balls, try this; play a PS2 game for about an hour and then instantly switch to playing a 360 game your hands will feel like their having an orgasm, noticed this the other day. The Gamecube controller was awesome, the only thing i didnt like about it was the trigger buttons, the should of had more of a 360 trigger button feel, the secondary click feature on the GC controller waws dumb and also the c-stick felt odd when playing FPS games. But my vote goes for the N64 controller because it was the most revolutionary, i mean come on look at that thing, it a beautiful, its a work of art, it was the first to come in multiple colors, the first to vibrate, the first to have an analog stick, and the only to have 3 handles. amazing, i almost cry everytime i see a N64, oh the good old days.......

I love the Xbox 360 controller. And I absolutly hated the Dualshock controllers, followed by the gamecube controller. I have short and fat fingers (its inherited lol) which makes the gamecube and dualshock controllers just to small to be comfertable for me.

How come the Saturn controller is not listed? That had one of the best controller designs ever.

i am not a big xbox 360 person, but anyone saying the xbox 360 controller is anything but perfect is lying to themselves.

Hands down, the 360 controller. I LOVE it. People complain about the d-pad, but I suck at fighting games, so it doesn't really matter to me :p. I don't exactly hate the dualshock, but I don't exactly like it, either. I hate the Gamecube controller. It's like they deliberately tried to make it as uncomfortable as possible. It seems to me that Sony and Nintendo make controllers designed to accommodate tiny Japanese hands, and don't give a flying fuck for larger western gamers. It's about time someone (MS) made a controler for us....

Aside from that, I kinda wish they all would release controllers in different sizes. A one-size-fits-all approach does NOT work. While the 360 controller is "just right" for me, I imagine it's too small for some, and too large for others. But for me, personally, 360 controller all the way....

Not on list, Gamecube controller is my pick. It could be replaced by the Wii controller, but only time will tell. I want to see how well it works for more games.

Ya. 360 controller is nice and all, but the gamecube controller fit perfectly into my hands. Most comfortable controller ever.

I think the X360 controller def feels the best. The did a nice job. I just wish I could find either a 3rd party or whatever to make a Playstation controller with the joysticks in the same positions as the X360.

I mean is this hard to do?? I almost want to hack apart a X360 controller and put the PS3 controller inside :p

I like what the wii controller brings to the market but for comfort the 360 controller is greater then all that came before it. It just feels right and the dual analog are placed exactly where they need to be.

Either 360 for it's minor revisions, without screwing up, of the xbox controller. I would also think that the Dreamcast and N64 controllers should get honorable mentions because they were both revolutionary and very good controllers. The playstation controllers are the worst by far. You can't play shooters/racing games because there is no feel. You are either all or nothing, no in between...

Back