Your Face is Easy to Fake

HardOCP News

[H] News
How do you like that? You can use a printed picture of a face (not even a very good one) to beat facial recognition software installed on poplar laptops.

For security reasons, the actual key points and the particular enhancement were not announced to the public. However, my take is that the use of these photos is probably possible because the authentication software looks at the face as a 2D object, instead of a 3D one. This makes each face much less unique than it actually is.

I probably wouldn't have very much luck with facial recognition anyways. It would likely confuse my face for an ape.

is there any face regonition software i can get just to use for fun to lock my desktop pc

I was once smiling so hard when I was logging in that the facial rec stuff could ID me, which just caused me to laugh more. Then because of glare and different lighting, screw it. I prefer the fingerprint ones if I use any.

Couldn't, darn this no editing stuff. I was able to use a picture on a cellphone to log in though!

The first thing I thought of when I saw the title was that stupid comeback...

"Your FACE is easy to fake!"

Haha this reminds me a episode of Burn Notice where he had a picture of the person face who is allowed to pass the face recognition test and it worked. Didn't think a flat piece of paper would work but looks like I was wrong.

From a software developing perspective, it's rather impressive that the software can still identify the face, regardless of the picture's noise/distortion. When I test computer vision food recognition algorithms at my work, we sometimes use pictures of the food products we are classifying, instead of the real raw food, when it's convenient. Your face becomes a 2D image to process anyway, once the camera takes a picture.

They may be able to duplicate my face but they sure cant duplicate my teeth.
toothless.gif

kinda like that mythbusters where they beat the biometric security system with a black and white printout of the guys finger print, and then did it on the computer, and BOTH worked lol

they actually had a whole ep about beating motion detectors of diff. types and what not, cool stuff

What's wrong with the username password? It's worked for me for years.
Laziness. People don't want to bother with memorizing a username and password and typing it in every time they log on. Also, it's pretty damn cool and is a great way to impress your friends who think this kind of thing only exists in movies.

Reminds me of Half Baked in the bodega ... "HEY, it's black ass!" ... the ass scanner. LOL

This reminds of that episode of MythBusters, where they were trying to break the thumbprint security of a high-cost lock. They started with all the elaborate techniques, with ballistics gel model of a print and whatnot, but in the end, a simple printing of ...er...the print was enough to open the door...

kinda like that mythbusters where they beat the biometric security system with a black and white printout of the guys finger print, and then did it on the computer, and BOTH worked lol

they actually had a whole ep about beating motion detectors of diff. types and what not, cool stuff

Oops, didn't read your post. I said the exact same thing :)

Heh, I trained my facial recognition software to recognize my pictures. Normally, holding a picture of me up to the camera NEVER worked. I'm guessing this is just because of the way the light reflects off the picture is dramatically different than the way light would reflect off the surface of one's skin, and lighting is everything with these things.

So I trained it to recognize my security badge's picture (it's my personal laptop, so no worries) in case my friends need to use it and they don't have my finger or my password. :)

Back