Your #1 PC game of the decade (and the biggest disappointment) ***poll***

Your favorite game of the decade

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

housecat

Gawd
As we quickly approach 2010 and the start of a new decade, what was your favorite game in the past 10 years? Also list the biggest disappointment for you.

Ok now, about the poll. I recognize most of you will be using the OTHER option in the near-worthless poll. I wanted to be fair to the games that we might not like, so I did toss in a few of the top 10 sellers of the 2000's. They did bring in large quantities of eyes and bucks to the PC platform. And maybe people liked some of the big sellers more than I do.
Also, it was easier than cooking up a list off the top of my head, as it would always be incomplete and imperfect no matter how hard I try to please everyone (including myself as my personal list would be much different).

Looking forward to hearing what you enjoyed most in the last 10 years.

My vote is L4D. No other game in the past decade had me literally having dreams about it. It also rejuvenated my interest in gaming after many years of being in college and not having the time that I'd liked.

Biggest disappointment for me was Quake4. I expected a better game considering the greatness of Q3A. I preordered that and Doom 3 and were some of the worst games ever.

Games that will always be memorable to me and literally made me happy to play were Giants Citizen Kabuto, QuakeWars and Overlord. This decade was not as influential on me as the 80's and 90's, where I played (and burned out on) formulas such as HoMM and Civilization, my overdose of Civ1 & 2 hasn't allowed me to get into that type of game since.

I would say WoW for me, since I've been playing it for 4+ years. There aren't a lot of other games I play that have lasted that long.
Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 is a close second, since I still play that for a while every few months, and played it almost nonstop when it was released. Almost a tie, really..

Disappointment would be... Hmm... Red Faction 2. Atrocious game.

Last edited:
Braid. Hands-down most innovative game this decade. My brain functions differently ever since I played that game.

Biggest disappointment: UT3.

Copy/paste from the previous thread:
I don't think I can pick a single top game for this decade, but I'm going to be contrary and list Half-Life 2 as my biggest disappointment. After waiting for it eagerly since I played the original probably around 1999 or so, I ended up with a game replete with filler segments, horrible vehicle mechanics, a few token physics puzzles, and a handful of incredible areas like Ravenholm and the Citadel which sadly did not make up for how much of a letdown the rest of the game was.

Was a toss-up for me between Baldur's Gate 2 and Half-Life 2, but ended up choosing HL2. Hmm...I do need to replay BG2 though heh.

A tie between BG2 and Diablo 2 for me. Probably the two most logged hours of game time for me on the PC (along with FF7). 200+ hours for BG2 and probably close to thousands for DIablo II and expansion.

Call of duties were great as well.

It was a toss up for me between DA:O and Half-Life 2.

[DFR]Random;1035012910 said:
Was a toss-up for me between Baldur's Gate 2 and Half-Life 2, but ended up choosing HL2. Hmm...I do need to replay BG2 though heh.

Bought it from ebay for $13 shipped after I finished DA:O :D I played BG1 but missed 2 because I had been so engrossed with Everquest and took a 2 year hiatus from gaming.

I almost put The Sims, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, Simcity 3000 Unlimited, Zoo Tycoon, Medal of Honor Allied Assault, Age of Mythology on the list because they're all in the Top 10 selling games of the decade..
but wanted to stay as relevant as possible for a crowd like [H] while still staying in the top ~50 best sellers of the decade. A lot of these games are older and have been so outshined by now, that while people would've chosen Diablo 2 as the best game 5 years ago easily, people have forgotten how much they might've loved a game at one time.

I hated putting WoW in the list, but it deserves to be there. I played it the first 6 months of launch in '04 but had already played Everquest and others and was burned out on the MMO thing by then. Still, it's been a key to keeping people off consoles.

Going to say Morrowind on this one. That game hooked my like no other.

My biggest disappointment may have been Quake IV. It's the only Quake game I've only played through once, which is something of a minor tragedy.

EDIT: Oddly enough, I didn't read through the OP before I posted. Guess I'm not the only one who was really let down with Quake IV. Crazy!

Deus Ex.

EDIT: I agree with housecat and phide, Q4 was a pretty big letdown for me as well. The only reason I bought it for Xbox 360 was for the Quake 2 pack-in (could be played with 4 players co-op on the same screen).

Deus Ex.

EDIT: I agree with housecat and phide, Q4 was a pretty big letdown for me as well. The only reason I bought it for Xbox 360 was for the Quake 2 pack-in (could be played with 4 players co-op on the same screen).

FYI Deus Ex was released in 1999, so is technically not part of this decade.

I can't remember when Tribes 2 or the Original Half Life came out but if it's in the past decade then put those on my list.

Diablo 2 is my most overrated.

EDIT: Beat to it by a taffer! :)

Thief Gold and Thief II: The Metal Age...

Two of the best games I've ever played. The latter is actually right behind Deus Ex for me. I loved listening to the guards in Thief II. I really hope Thief IV brings back the magic.

Although I'm sick of the game now, Counter-strike certainly enjoyed the bulk of my playtime.

my #1 pc game of the decade would be WoW. a real close runner up would definitely be SoF2.

my most disappointed game of the decade would be SoF: Payback

gonna go with Civ4 maybe I'll think of something better

biggest disappointment without a doubt is MoO3, almost sure its this decade, its like 2003 right?

That's a tough one, I spent alot of time playing Diablo 2, either by myself or with friends... BUT Half Life 2 was by far my #1 game of the decade... I've probably played it over again over 8 times, just an awesome game, the gameplay is top notch, graphics are great, awesome music & soundeffects, An awesome continuation of the Half Life game.

IMO WoW is the biggest disappointment, I tried it for 1 month (b4 the first expansion), since all my friends were big on it. BUT for all the hype the game had I didn't see anything justifying the addiction of it. Still amazed how people are still playing a game that all you do is go find monster/person/creature, kill it, pick up item dropped, bring item back, get reward... repeat for someone else.....

gonna go with Civ4 maybe I'll think of something better

biggest disappointment without a doubt is MoO3, almost sure its this decade, its like 2003 right?

never can go wrong with Civ4, i play that with my brother and dad and some friends still. Sid is the turnbased strategy god lol

I'd say my game of the decade is Red Faction: Guerrilla. Has some outstanding issues on PC that need to be resolved but I just fell in love with the gameplay and how dynamic everything is. It's really odd, a lotta people just got bored of it really fast but I can't get enough!

Disappointment of the decade? I agree %100 with Mr. Nails. SoF: Payback was a total bomb. They totally butchered the Soldier of Fortune series with that abomination. Raven should never have handed it over to a second rate development team such as Cauldron. They.. broke... my .. heart... *sob*

Quake III ranks best game of the decade for me hands down. I have spend so many hours with that game...

EDIT: I was thinking between 1999-2009, sorry.
2000-2010 I would say Wolf: ET

Biggest disappointment: Wolfenstein.

Last edited:
Team Fortress 2.

I should've put TF2 in the poll instead of L4D. It's just as exciting and epic at times, and possibly more popular.

BF2 almost made the list too, I took it off because it was sluggish and buggy so I didn't think most people would have the best memories of it and want to choose it. It's a hard list to come up with.
Quake 3 was released in 1999. Quake Live would work though.

Counterstrike almost made the list too since the retail CS was released in this decade. It was available as a mod for about 6 years prior though, so decided it was best left in the 90's.

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas - I've played through this game over ten times, and love it every time.

For my biggest failure, it has to be Assassin's Creed. I hate that game.

I should've put TF2 in the poll instead of L4D. It's just as exciting and epic at times, and possibly more popular.

BF2 almost made the list too, I took it off because it was sluggish and buggy so I didn't think most people would have the best memories of it and want to choose it. It's a hard list to come up with.
Quake 3 was released in 1999. Quake Live would work though.

Counterstrike almost made the list too since the retail CS was released in this decade. It was available as a mod for about 6 years prior though, so decided it was best left in the 90's.

I thought about Quake Live, but it never really managed to make any sort of impact like Quake III made.

It's a tie between Diablo 2 and Morrowind for me. Both of which I still play.

The biggest disappointment, Hellgate: London. I tried so hard to like this game. And being made by some of Diablo 2's dev team enticed me to buy it at launch. Just an all-around disappointment of a game.

Quake III ranks best game of the decade for me hands down. I have spend so many hours with that game...

EDIT: I was thinking between 1999-2009, sorry.
2000-2010 I would say Wolf: ET

Biggest disappointment: Wolfenstein.

+1 for Wolf ET, many hours lost there.. still play it when I can.

ugh Wolfenstein was EPIC FAIL

BG2

Civ4 is good though. It'd be my number 2. Jury is out on Dragon Age aging over time well like BG2 (so far I love it)

This one is tough for me.

Half-Life is my #1 FPS of all time for single-player and the mods it spawned are my top multi-player of all time. STALKER : Shadow of Chernobyl is right behind it and I guess is my top single-player FPS of this decade. Half-Life 2 is a great game in it's own right but at the time it released I was into more realistic shooters. The biggest letdown of the HL2 era for me was Day of Defeat : Source. I played DoD non-stop for years going all the way back the the early beta's. I really hope Valve reboots with a DoD2 that's more realistic and has larger / less arcadey maps.

WoW is the only MMO I've ever played and probably has my most overall time spent in a game. I played it from launch until Winter 2008 almost exclusively and it was a great experience. The first few hours/days I played that game were the most exhilarating gaming experience I'd ever had. I had never played a game where the world seemed so huge and alive. Eventually it was the community that kept me around but the game was something special too.

I'm going to give my vote to WoW, even though I hate it somewhat for taking up so much time.

Diablo 2 by far. I put in many many many hours into that game. Loved every bit of it, I was one of the first few 99's on USWest :D.

Diablo 2 is the best game of all time.

This is true.

I have a hard time picking just 1 though...my choices would be:
Call of Duty
Counter-Strike: Source
Diablo 2

Biggest disappointment? I'm sure everyone here will hate this but COD4. Everything that I loved about COD was thrown away in COD4.

Honorable mention for biggest disappointment:
Far Cry 2

Last edited:
Deus Ex is my game of the decade. I still love it and every once in awhile find some dialog that I missed in past games.

Honorable mention: Diablo 2, Quake 2, Dreamfall, Mass Effect, Oblivion.

... Half-Life 2 as my biggest disappointment. After waiting for it eagerly since I played the original probably around 1999 or so, I ended up with a game replete with filler segments, horrible vehicle mechanics, a few token physics puzzles, and a handful of incredible areas like Ravenholm and the Citadel which sadly did not make up for how much of a letdown the rest of the game was.
This!

Last edited:
If we rate it by time spent playing, a games from the 90s wins - Starcraft. I'm having a hard time picking a favorite, though I voted Dragon Age Origins because it's on the list and it's my current obsession. A year ago I was so possessed by Diablo II I might have voted for it back then. I also spent a ton of quality time with Supreme Commander and Titan Quest, along wiht their respective expansions. Lots of great gaming - anybody that says PC gaming is dying is nuts, even though I am a console gamer mostly.

Back