You’ll Soon Be Able to Buy Hardware from the Microsoft Store in Windows 10

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
As reported yesterday, the Windows Store is being re-branded as the Microsoft Store: many presumed that MS would begin selling hardware through this channel, and now there are screenshots to prove it. With a future update, users will also be able to purchase (most) hardware and other accessories that are available from Microsoft.com.

The feature is not enabled on PCs and Mobile devices yet, but I was able to access the product pages and even buy some of the products. Just like any other products, buying or pre-ordering a hardware or accessory from the Microsoft Store will require you to verify using Windows Hello first. Once verified, the Microsoft Store will take you to the order page within the app which looks (and works) almost exactly like the purchasing experience on the online Microsoft Store. In fact, to test the feature out, I bought the Xbox One Media Remote and the order went through perfectly.

Cool, I guess. Does anyone actually use the Microsoft store though?

I wanted to say, "no," but then I saw my nephew using it the other day. So I think it's mostly kids who grew up with Android/iOS and the app stores for phones are the ones who are likeliest to use it.

Soon? You can already. They sell surface pros and xboxes already and dell monitors.

Silly title.

I bought the $400 oculus from a physical Microsoft store. Bought a game and surface pro 2 from online store awhile ago.

Browsed it a few times and never looked at it again. Changing the store name won't change how terrible it is.

Huh, so you're saying a store which has a 30 day money back guarantee on EVERYTHING in open/used condition, with 24/7 american (it seems like) Live chat, easy to navigate, and has frequent sales + student/faculty discount is a bad store?

Just because you dont like their app store doesn't mean their actual Microsoft stores are bad. They're actually quite good.

Last edited:
Soon? You can already. They sell surface pros and xboxes already and dell monitors.

Silly title.
I think they mean natively in the app. I just went and tried grab a piece of hardware and it just opens the MS website.
Until just now trying that, I could not tell you the last time I opened that app. Been a while.

Huh, so you're saying a store which has a 30 day money back guarantee on EVERYTHING in open/used condition, with 24/7 american (it seems like) Live chat, easy to navigate, and has frequent sales + student/faculty discount is a bad store?

Just because you dont like their app store doesn't mean their actual Microsoft stores are bad. They're actually quite good.

It has everything but anything consumers would actually want to buy.

As for the physical MS store, every time I've walked past one in a mall, there are only ever about 3-5 people in there, plus a few employees twiddling their lanyards. Anecdotal, but see for yourself and tell me I'm wrong.

Last edited:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Microsoft_Store

The store might have slightly improved, but no thanks. Better prices and peace of mind can be had elsewhere.

I think they mean natively in the app. I just went and tried grab a piece of hardware and it just opens the MS website.
Until just now trying that, I could not tell you the last time I opened that app. Been a while.
Personally, I refuse to acknowledge it's existence.

It has everything but anything consumers would actually want to buy.

As for the physical MS store, every time I've walked past one in a mall, there are only ever about 3-5 people in there, plus a few employees twiddling their lanyards. Anecdotal, but see for yourself and tell me I'm wrong.

The one in the mall here was small, so i think 3-5 is right.

and I bought an oculus rift and a surface pro 2, so they do have things people want to buy?

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Microsoft_Store

The store might have slightly improved, but no thanks. Better prices and peace of mind can be had elsewhere.

looks like they dont pay resellerratings their protection money, just like the BBB. oh well.

The last two laptops I purchased were from a physical B&M microsoft store. The laptops were cheaper at MS store than other retail locations and come bloatware free for the same models. Other places had similar prices, within $10 but all had bloatware pre-installed.

If they came with Windows on them they did not come bloatware free. LOL j/k. Buying a laptop with nothing additional certainly does save one the time it takes to uninstall all of the added crap that tends to come pre-installed. That is also pretty rare outside of boutique builders and bulk business deployments.

You can get xbox balance cards for 10% off + that you can use on hardware for extra savings. This isn't available for every region yet though.

Why would anyone believe in a rating service that does not require reviewers to provide any proof? I have shopped Microsoft stores both online and in B&M. My shopping experience certainly does not fit the 1/10 score. I don't think the score is brutal. Actually the score simply makes people think that there is something wrong with resellerratings. They need to do a better job to make the score more believable.

There are a few really good programs in there. Almost all of the rest are just kinda meh. If even that... They would have to offer some really incredible deals for me to consider it over Amazon/Newegg.

Back