You’ll Play A Powerless, Ordinary Person In Resident Evil 7

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
…I think it’s a bad idea to have a Resident Evil game without Jill, Chris, Leon, or other franchise favorites. Hell, your character won’t even have any special forces training. Maybe they should have called it something else? (At least there’s a Resident Evil 2 remake coming.)

It’s not a reboot and we’re not throwing away the series’ canonical storyline. It’s the new numbered title in the series and it’s a sequel to the existing mainline series titles. After I say that and you try the demo, you may say “Really?”, because it looks nothing like any of that, but trust me. We need to have a bit of mystery in survival horror, so we’re trying to make you wonder when you play it how could this possibly be connected? That’s part of the appeal.

Loved the Blair Witch money shot at around 13:15, good times!

Last edited:
Also, VHS in 2017... and 16:9 VHS to boot...
Really, who the hell still uses VHS for anything at this point, let alone next year?

I get that they are doing it for the horror effect, but still, for the VHS first person segments, they should have kept that 4:3 for a more authentic feel.
Even if they had been using mini DV or HDV, that would have been a bit more believable, but this is pretty silly.

Also, that house had a TV from the late 1970s, or early 1980s at the newest, with a VHS player from the late 1990s, yet they said the house was abandoned only three (not thirty) years prior (meaning 2014).
I know this is for the horror effect, but this is getting pretty silly with all of these old/ancient pieces of equipment and video technology, which in that house's state, would not be working, and would not have been in a working state for years and years.

The last time I saw anyone with one of those old wood-panel TVs was in the mid 1990s.
Even the poorest people I've known in the last 20 years have either modern SDTVs or HDTVs like everyone else does, since they are all commodities and not super expensive like they were back in the day.

Yes, I get that it is just a game, but they could have put a bit more realism into the setting, or hell, make it set in the late 1980s or early 1990s when this tech would have been more common, not in 2017, haha!

i kinda like the atsmophre but i have also never played an RE game.

but omg he did take along time just walking back and forth after watching the vhs movi
almost 15 minutes just looking aorund , walking bakc and forth, after getting a clear hint of the chimney opens a secret door.

also i got motion sick... im getting old.

Last edited:
Most YT personalities were going nuts during the reveal. I'll admit I was as surprised as everyone else though.

I've only played one RE game: RE4 on GameCube.

The game seems cool, I enjoyed the PS4 demo. I've heard the PSVR demo at E3 wasn't amazing. Atmosphere was there but since it was running on a normal PS4 instead of a Neo there was a drastic graphical downgrade and it was full of bad aliasing. I wonder if the PC version will have both Rift and Vive support or if Capcom will just do one of them.

It's feeling like RE7 is trying to be like Amnesia...where you walk around and then run and hide when a monster appears.

That's not ever what RE has been about. They need to look at RE 1 and 2 and keep it feeling like Resident Evil.

Also, VHS in 2017... and 16:9 VHS to boot...
Really, who the hell still uses VHS for anything at this point, let alone next year?

I get that they are doing it for the horror effect, but still, for the VHS first person segments, they should have kept that 4:3 for a more authentic feel.
Even if they had been using mini DV or HDV, that would have been a bit more believable, but this is pretty silly.

Also, that house had a TV from the late 1970s, or early 1980s at the newest, with a VHS player from the late 1990s, yet they said the house was abandoned only three (not thirty) years prior (meaning 2014).
I know this is for the horror effect, but this is getting pretty silly with all of these old/ancient pieces of equipment and video technology, which in that house's state, would not be working, and would not have been in a working state for years and years.

The last time I saw anyone with one of those old wood-panel TVs was in the mid 1990s.
Even the poorest people I've known in the last 20 years have either modern SDTVs or HDTVs like everyone else does, since they are all commodities and not super expensive like they were back in the day.

Yes, I get that it is just a game, but they could have put a bit more realism into the setting, or hell, make it set in the late 1980s or early 1990s when this tech would have been more common, not in 2017, haha!

That VHS player is newer then the one we have. Although our tube TV (only TV we have) is newer.

That VHS player is newer then the one we have. Although our tube TV (only TV we have) is newer.

Well, if they were going to pair a VHS player with a TV from the late 1970s or early 1980s, they should have paired it with a proper VHS player from that era:

vcr%20cm82.jpg

Ordinary human doesn't,sound that great.Hope they come up with something to counteract the story line.

Wasn't Claire Redfield a powerless, ordinary human in RE2? She doesn't look like she inherited any combat training from her brother.

It's feeling like RE7 is trying to be like Amnesia...where you walk around and then run and hide when a monster appears.

That's not ever what RE has been about. They need to look at RE 1 and 2 and keep it feeling like Resident Evil.

There will be some kind of combat in the game, including weapons. Probably just very limited. Maybe super limited ammo, more akin to the first RE1 release and limited melee weapons.

They need to look at RE 1 and 2 and keep it feeling like Resident Evil.
So you'd prefer all the games be nearly the same, like COD? I'm sorry but trying new things is cool with me... it was always a generic zombie game, plenty of room for variation...

I think it's a cool idea. Remember this is a horror game, where you're suppose to be the weak individual. We all loved Alien Isolation and technically you're playing an ordinary person, and we loved the shit out of that game. They don't always have to follow the same formula. Cause if they did, I wouldn't be buying new games.

So you'd prefer all the games be nearly the same, like COD? I'm sorry but trying new things is cool with me... it was always a generic zombie game, plenty of room for variation...

I'd prefer they all be at least in the same spirit of the other games, yes. That means guns, combat, etc.

Am I missing something? I thought you were always a "Powerless, Ordinary Person" before. Leon was the new recruit cop. Claire was just looking for her brother. Chris and Jill were on a Special Forces kind of team (S.T.A.R.S.) but I wouldn’t say they had “powers”.

Jill was the master at lock picking so guess that’s something.

You mean predicable zombie appearances and piss poor voice acting?

I like the idea of actually being startled by a RE game. They should try to tweak a bit otherwise it will just feel like the same thing over and over.

If there was ever a series in desperate need of a re-imagining, this is it.

I honestly don't know what else they can do with Chris / Claire / Leon / Jill and company at this point.

I've tried many games from the series, and honestly none was very good, especially the old ones felt clunky and annoying, but mostly just boring. So this actually is interesting. I don't know what's wrong with ordinary either. Also since when is having some military training called a power?

I was always a Silent Hill fan, never liked RE. One of those reasons was because of the "every man" persona. Just easier to identify with a regular schmuck than some elite military guy or whatever you are in the RE games. So far I'm really digging what I saw.

Looks more interesting that Resident Evil 5 did. I don't even know what they did for RE6, I cared that little. Back to the horror game roots instead of non-stop action.

I was always a Silent Hill fan, never liked RE. One of those reasons was because of the "every man" persona. Just easier to identify with a regular schmuck than some elite military guy or whatever you are in the RE games. So far I'm really digging what I saw.
You would like Resident Evil 2, though, since you play as Leon Kennedy, a young rookie cop (first day on the job), or as Claire Redfield, who was only 18 at that time with only little firearms training before in her life.
Neither one of them were military (at that time in 1998), nor was there anything special about them, other than the fact that they were normal people put into an extraordinary circumstance.

You would like Resident Evil 2, though, since you play as Leon Kennedy, a young rookie cop (first day on the job), or as Claire Redfield, who was only 18 at that time with only little firearms training before in her life.
Neither one of them were military (at that time in 1998), nor was there anything special about them, other than the fact that they were normal people put into an extraordinary circumstance.
Even being a rookie cop is out of my league. He'd be fit, athletic, passed police training, familiar with combat tactics, knowledge of firearms, etc. That already puts him in an upper league. I like the guy who just knows how to hold a portable camera wearing jeans and a t-shirt who is now stuck in hell.

Even being a rookie cop is out of my league. He'd be fit, athletic, passed police training, familiar with combat tactics, knowledge of firearms, etc. That already puts him in an upper league. I like the guy who just knows how to hold a portable camera wearing jeans and a t-shirt who is now stuck in hell.
Claire Redfield only had basic firearms training from her brother, though.
Also, you would like Alien: Isolation, for sure. ;)

Game looks good so far, I'll never touch it as I don't have the fortitude for games like this (same reason I cant play Amnesia or the silent hill games lol). Looking forward to watching some of my favorite you tubers play this, they jumped good enough in the demo so I should enjoy this lol

I'd love to play as a really young child, perhaps a toddler... imagine crawling away in diapers from a slow moving zombie... that'd be some intense shit right there!

Back