You know what would really make people buy a ppu?

Hartz

Weaksauce
If for non supporting games it could still be helpful and like join with the gpu and take care of AA or something.

Would that be possible?

If it could fold, it would sell like hotcakes.
But its not a gpu, so i doubt it can do any aa/af or whatever.

forcefed said:

No... if it could fold... it would not necessarily sell like hotcakes.
But I agree that it couldn't join in and due to the AA. The entire picture would essentially have to be sent over the PCI bus, to the card, and then back to the video card for output. I mean, it's possible, but it would be really slow AA.

Sound manipulation and ray tracing may be the most viable.

Hehe.. The idea is sweat though a dedicated AAU/PPU. I just like patent that or something.

forcefed said:
Just because you and three other people want it to increase your scores doesn't mean it would sell well.

Obi_Kwiet said:
Just because you and three other people want it to increase your scores doesn't mean it would sell well.
Who on earth would not enjoy a AA unit that does not harm FPS?

ethos747474nikon8989 said:
What is an AA

What is a PPU

That info would bring me into the conversation a little bit more.
The second question should be answered simply because your in this subforum (hint, look at the subforum name :p)
AA == AntiAliasing.

Hartz said:
Who on earth would not enjoy a AA unit that does not harm FPS?

I think by 'fold' he meant Fold@Home ranking, not benchmark scores. Some people i know (actually, entire clans) seem to have a goal get the number 1 rank. I have no idea while people are so obsessed with it :confused:

Obi_Kwiet said:

I think it would, I know that people would buy 7 of them since they fold work faster than any processor known and you can put them all on one board :p

funny how u folders are so keen on "folding for humanity!!" and buy thousands of dollars of hardware

why not donate that cash to charity instead? :rolleyes:

Sly said:
I think by 'fold' he meant Fold@Home ranking, not benchmark scores. Some people i know (actually, entire clans) seem to have a goal get the number 1 rank. I have no idea while people are so obsessed with it :confused:

Not sure either. I agree that if the PPU had some out of the box benefit other than people able to do Physics demos, they would sell. Hell I'd buy one right now if I had a use for it.

Dan_D said:
Not sure either. I agree that if the PPU had some out of the box benefit other than people able to do Physics demos, they would sell. Hell I'd buy one right now if I had a use for it.

Seems Ageia agrees with you, as that is why they are not available yet :rolleyes:

osalcido said:
funny how u folders are so keen on "folding for humanity!!" and buy thousands of dollars of hardware

MooseEdit: While I can appreciate your strong feeling on the matter, CF... please do not resort to name calling.

before you judge, howabout you visit the subforum? you'll notice there's a FS/FT subforum in the DC subforum, why? because they can't spend "thousands of dollars" on hardware. A large portion, if not the majority, of computers currently folding for the [H]orde are "borgs," or computers the folder does not actually own but has the express permission of the owner to fold under.

donating the cash to charity would be less efficient, which you would have known had you taken the five seconds to google your question (super-relevant parts bolded):
Stanford's Folding at Home FAQ said:
Why not just use a supercomputer? Modern supercomputers are essentially clusters of hundreds of processors linked by fast networking. The speed of these processors is comparable to (and often slower than) those found in PCs! Thus, if an algorithm (like ours) does not need the fast networking, it will run just as fast on a supercluster as a supercomputer. However, our application needs not the hundreds of processors found in modern supercomputers, but hundreds of thousands of processors. Hence, the calculations performed on Folding@Home would not be possible by any other means! Moreover, even if we were given exclusive access to all of the supercomputers in the world, we would still have fewer cycles than we do with the Folding@Home cluster! This is possible since PC processors are now very fast and there are hundreds of millions of PCs sitting idle in the world.

as you can see, donating money is next to useless compared to donating idle computers.

again, had you taken the time to look at the subforum rather than just ignoarntly rant, you would realize we don't have thousands to splurge on hardware, here are just a few recent threads regarding shutting down computers because owners can't afford the power bill , let alone thousands of dollars worth of new computer parts:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1043580&highlight=power+bill
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1038206&page=2&highlight=power+bill
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1034283&highlight=power+bill
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1026750&highlight=power+bill

Sly said:

I cant speak for all of my team-mates, but I'm sure most of [H]ardOCP's folding team has the same type of motives for folding as I do. For me, I fold for my uncle who passed away from Cancer after battleing it for 3 long years, and my Grandmother who developed alzheimer's and shortly after died from bone cancer which spread through her body. I miss them both dearly, and F@H is something I do in their memory. Folding@Home's research helps develop a better understanding of both of these deseases, and may one day lead to a cure. Folding for Humanity is a very accurate statement, as our participation helps forever drive forward human understanding of biology.. and if it leads to saving just one life, it will be worth every last penny and power bill. :) Besides, most of my folding machines are borged computers at school that my school has allowed me to install the client software onto, so for the most part it doesn't come out of my pocket.

PS - [H]ardOCP's folding team IS in the #1 rank, right now we're simply trying to defend it from the Aussies! lol ;)

osalcido said:

Why not take a trip over to the subforum and read before you make blanket statements that make you look incredibly ignorant?

Most of us do not spend thousands of dollars on folding. A vast, wide majority only have one or two machines folding. There are some, the loud minority, that have dropped a ton of cash on the project, yes, but that's their choice. Besides, giving a few grand to charity isn't going to do anything other than pay the guys that analyse these results, or even worse, just fatten up someone's warchest.

you folders are full of it -- "folding for humanity" is more like boastering your scores to pimp your e-penis. that, and that it makes you feel important like you mean anything anyway by "saving lives".

:rolleyes:

HekoAridese said:
you folders are full of it -- "folding for humanity" is more like boastering your scores to pimp your e-penis. that, and that it makes you feel important like you mean anything anyway by "saving lives".

:rolleyes:

Nice outlook. , you should stop worrying about us and worry about your attitude.

InorganicMatter said:
Carnival Forces, you'd better remove the dick comment before a mod sees it.....

I would buy a PPU if current games could be hacked to use it, but for what I don't know.
thanks for your concern, but at least two mods have seen it by now, i think... And while it's true, that first sentence might be construed as denigrating the target poster's character, it is more designed to expose the style of argumentation the target poster chose--namely, that of the supremely phallic character.

plus, the remaining 9/10ths of the post is argument based.

osalcido said:

Charity wouldnt know what to do with it :mad: , stupid charities.

Everyone folds for a reason. And that reason is their own. No one here should ever judge whether or not that reason is a valid one. I for one will never understand spending $1000 on a video card or whatever else you guys are buying, but I would never judge you on it. It is your money, spend it how you wish.

All we ask is for the same consideration. :)

Thanks,
Moose

osalcido said:

A lot of us fold on old boxes who's cash value is so low that I would bet folding with them is a much, much better use than selling them and giving the money away. Besides, you can only donate money once ;)

Carnival Forces said:
thanks for your concern, but at least two mods have seen it by now, i think... And while it's true, that first sentence might be construed as denigrating the target poster's character, it is more designed to expose the style of argumentation the target poster chose--namely, that of the supremely phallic character.

plus, the remaining 9/10ths of the post is argument based.

Oops, your above statement kills the "I meant he was a detective" defense if the mods do nail you! ;)

Regardless of your reasoning you can get temp-banned for that kind of statement. If you still want to say it then I would suggest a slightly more forgiveable version, like "You are being a dick." That one is nice because you aren't actually calling them a dick in general, just a dick in this specific instance, and since everyone is a dick sometimes, and virtually nobody is all the time, that is both more accurate and more foregiveable.

Let's get this conversation back to PPU and not folding.

You are more than welcome to visit the DC forum if you wish to discuss the merits of Folding. :)

if this could fold, i'd buy at least three. right now.

and to stay on topic:

i'd love to see this somehow work with the new Flightsim. independent moving trees / birds / other fun items? oh yeahh.

Ockie said:
I think it would, I know that people would buy 7 of them since they fold work faster than any processor known and you can put them all on one board :p

Even if you and every other [H]Folder bought seven (highly unlikely) it wouldn't even cover dev costs. Realistically less than a thousand people would consider buy a 300$ PPU to boost their F@H scores. They need to sell millions to recoup their costs.

Also, deformable brushes.If we get deformable terrian and world objects I'll be happy. I want to see pipes and things falling down like in 3DM 2005. I could care less about seeing 40,000 stupid boxes.

What would really make people buy the PPU is have it become a pop-up blocker/anti-virus processor while surfing pr0n and not being used for gaming.

4 things would get me to buy one now, and I am a late adoptor in most cases:

PCIe x1.....I'm out of regular PCI slots.

A way to gain some benefit in games not explicitly PPU supported, i.e. say a game patch that offloads some physics to the PPU for an FPS boost. You'd think Source would be perfect for this.

$100 entry level

Passively cooled.

i have seen this word alot inthis thread.. what does fold mean i know like folsing laundry but in what context are you guys using it

boomheadshot45 said:
i have seen this word alot inthis thread.. what does fold mean i know like folsing laundry but in what context are you guys using it

Its some program you run on your PC that uses your spare CPU cycles for science. It assembles proteins or something (mathmatically of course), I dunno if it actually has any scientific benefit though (havent heard of anythign major being discovered).

http://folding.stanford.edu/

As for the PPU, If it was alot cheaper I'd buy one, $299 is outrageous. I could buy a new videocard for that price.

Ruiner said:
4 things would get me to buy one now, and I am a late adoptor in most cases:

PCIe x1.....I'm out of regular PCI slots.

A way to gain some benefit in games not explicitly PPU supported, i.e. say a game patch that offloads some physics to the PPU for an FPS boost. You'd think Source would be perfect for this.

$100 entry level

Passively cooled.

I agree with you on all these points, cept for the passivly cooled part. I would probably watercool it... just because I could.. but wheres the fun in that if it can fun safely with passive cooling :eek:

However, everything else I agree on. PCI, I'd rather not get it for that. Sure, ive got empty slots... and I will never fill them. I can't see the logic in spending $300 on a device that uses PCI.

$100 price, muuuch better. I may even level at $200 depending on how much it helps. As it is though, $300 is to much, expecially if when you think about it, chances are its going into a system that has a $300-$500 video card in it.

As far as the benifit in games that don't support it, thats the kicker for me. There are two games on the supported list that intrest me. GRAW and UT2007. GRAW I have on 360, so I probbaly won't even buy that, not till its cheaper anyways. So, $300 to enhance one game... I think not. If it did so much as give a small FPS boost in unsporting games, that would make it much more justifiable.

Oh, and not to add fuel to the fire, but if it could fold, I would be MUCH more keen on buying one ;)

Back