Yonah/Merom Comparisons at Stock Speeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandmaster

Limp Gawd
Are there any benchmarks anywhere comparing equivalent Yonah and Merom CPUs at stock speeds? For example, how fast is the 2.16GHz Yonah vs the 2.16GHz Merom?

We're talking about CPUs that will be primarily used in laptops which very rarely offer any overclocking potential, but more than that, the first wave of Meroms should slot right into existing notebook architecture. Therefore a stock speed comparison would be very valuable to someone - like me - interested in maximising CPU power on their existing notebooks.

I've heard talk of 20% like-for-like speed increases, but independent benchmarks would be very much appreciated...

It is a 20 % differance Fact . Check extreme systems forums they have comparisions at the clocks your talking about. Conroe is even faster Clock for clock

Thanks for the tip-off... This is what I found. There doesn't appear to be an awful lot in it between the CPUs at stock speeds on many of the benchmarks. I suspect I'll have to get the 2.33GHz chip, although isn't there a top-end chip that has yet to be revealed?

There is talk of a 2.5+ merom. Also keep in mind . I should check this but if memory serve's me well. Merom is a 3 issue core and Conroe is a 4 issue core. (I could have that wrong but I believe thats correct.

This is the info I have read.

Merom 20% faster than Yonah @ same clock.

Conroe 20% faster the Merom @ same clock.

Some guys are saying in some benchies the Fx60 is on par with Conroe . I say when the ATI 600 GPU is released that Idea will be laid to rest . Right now the GPU with Conroe is a bottle nick and that shows in these GPU benchies.

Thanks for the info. My own uses will be 100% CPU-orientated. The app I'm using (a high definition video encoder) is faster according to CPU clock speed and the latency of the memory.

A 2.16GHz Yonah isn't *quite* powerful enough, but right now there's no CL4 667MHz DDR2 SODIMMs, so a more powerful CPU is required.

Maybe the 2.16GHz Merom will do the trick after all, but the 2.33GHz chip should hopefully match my X2 4400 desktop CPU in terms of performance.

$BangforThe$ said:
There is talk of a 2.5+ merom. Also keep in mind . I should check this but if memory serve's me well. Merom is a 3 issue core and Conroe is a 4 issue core. (I could have that wrong but I believe thats correct.

Some guys are saying in some benchies the Fx60 is on par with Conroe . I say when the ATI 600 GPU is released that Idea will be laid to rest . Right now the GPU with Conroe is a bottle nick and that shows in these GPU benchies.
I don't believe the Conroe is 20% faster than the Merom, they are essentially the same, except one is geared towards mobile users. Clock-for-clock they should be close, Conroe might be slightly faster.

$BangforThe$ said:

Not really correct, all of Core Architecture which includes Merom/Conroe/Woodcrest are 4 issue cores, the performance differential solely lies in the differential clockspeeds and FSB speeds.

If you clock Conroe down to 667FSB like Merom and the same clockspeed you can expect them to be identical in speed. It would be hard to say what the difference between Conroe/Merom is whwn the only differenting factor is FSB speed.

Hopefully there will be Merom at 2.5GHZ, but in the initial roadmaps seen that speedgrade is not on there. We are looking at 2.33GHZ maximum like Yonah will have.

Will the 2.33GHz Merom be available when the range ships in August? And does any one know when the 2.33GHz Yonah ships?

coldpower27 said:
Not really correct, all of Core Architecture which includes Merom/Conroe/Woodcrest are 4 issue cores, the performance differential solely lies in the differential clockspeeds and FSB speeds.

If you clock Conroe down to 667FSB like Merom and the same clockspeed you can expect them to be identical in speed. It would be hard to say what the difference between Conroe/Merom is whwn the only differenting factor is FSB speed.

Hopefully there will be Merom at 2.5GHZ, but in the initial roadmaps seen that speedgrade is not on there. We are looking at 2.33GHZ maximum like Yonah will have.

Thanks I couldn't remember if they were all 4 issue. I find it strange that Intel would use a differant socket for conroe and merom.

$BangforThe$ said:
Thanks I couldn't remember if they were all 4 issue. I find it strange that Intel would use a differant socket for conroe and merom.
Meh, AMD does it to for Socket AM2 (940) Windsor and Socket S1 (638) Taylor which is analagous to
Conroe vs Merom.

The mobile socket is more geared toward power optimizations.

Ya I was thinking it had something to do with effiency . But to be honest I don't understand this at all.

Well now we got that cleared up it looks like merom will be the most effient cores . It stands to reason the Merom should be a better O/C . Except that the 2 have differant power requirements. So I suppose that could hold merom back from achieving the highest possiable clocks. We discussed this befor.

$BangforThe$ said:

your info is incorrect. conroe and merom are the SAME chip... there is no bench where the fx-60 is on par with conroe, NONE. conroe and merom at same speeds are almost identical in scores.

Actually apart from bus clocking, socket and power management(which is a bigger deal than it sounds like), conroe has twice the cache. I can't help but think that the caching logic is quite different for a 4 meg L2 cache.

From the pure CPU benches like Super PI and SPEC, conroe is a measurable amount (Like 3-4% in Super PI) faster than merom.

Magik Smoke said:
Actually apart from bus clocking, socket and power management(which is a bigger deal than it sounds like), conroe has twice the cache. I can't help but think that the caching logic is quite different for a 4 meg L2 cache.

From the pure CPU benches like Super PI and SPEC, conroe is a measurable amount (Like 3-4% in Super PI) faster than merom.

merom has 4mb cache, where do you guys get this stuff from, your ass? seriously...

3552.gif

taken from coolalers thread on xs.org full credit to him.

^
Off-topic, but how did that guy set up that windows theme? I know it's supposed to be a more simplified classic, but I've never been able to get it that way.

sp1nfer said:
^
Off-topic, but how did that guy set up that windows theme? I know it's supposed to be a more simplified classic, but I've never been able to get it that way.

That's not the default theme. It looks like that if they use stylexp/uxtheme patcher, and you move the .msstyle file (or the theme simply doesn't load correctly). If anything, you usually accidentally stumble on that theme. If it can even be called a theme.

It is more like "in limbo" between stock and desired theme (whatever that may be).

Mav451 said:
That's not the default theme. It looks like that if they use stylexp/uxtheme patcher, and you move the .msstyle file (or the theme simply doesn't load correctly). If anything, you usually accidentally stumble on that theme. If it can even be called a theme.

It is more like "in limbo" between stock and desired theme (whatever that may be).

thanks, I knew that but I've seen it a couple of times on numerous tweaked setups of WinXP so I thought that maybe there's a way to make it constant.

Magik Smoke said:
In my case it came from reading way too many Yonah, Merom, Conroe articles in the past few days. In your case, "self made man" would apply.

<edit> I note that you totally blew off the bench comparisons nice move

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99549

what in the HELL are you babbeling about. im right, youre wrong. merom does not have 2mb cache. this forum is full of way too many uninformed people making false claims and guesses about conroe/merom/etc. its laughable, at how stupid some people on this forum are. lol, all current boards support conroe... NO, NO THEY DONT.

Mod Edit - Not acceptable. Follow the rules about personal attacks and flaming or someone who isn't stupid with "Admin" next to their name will explain it to you.. Fair warning.....BlindedByScience

viper650 said:
what in the HELL are you babbeling about. im right, youre wrong. merom does not have 2mb cache. this forum is full of way too many uninformed people making false claims and guesses about conroe/merom/etc. its laughable, at how stupid some people on this forum are. lol, all current boards support conroe... NO, NO THEY DONT.

Wow, I can see that you need someone to speak clearly to you.

Eat shit and die fuckstick

Mod Edit - Not acceptable. Follow the rules about personal attacks and flaming or someone with "Admin" next to their name will explain it to you....clearly. Fair warning.....BlindedByScience

Magik Smoke said:
Wow, I can see that you need someone to speak clearly to you.

Eat shit and die fuckstick

quoted so you cant edit, ive reported your post to a moderator.

and LOL @ you for thinking and telling everyone that merom has 2mb cache, you obviously dont know anything and are threatened by anyone who knows what is going on.

viper650 said:

You know I have my disagreements and I really like this forum But to talk to people the way you do and shoot off your mouth like that is really uncalled for.Noobie
He explained why he was confused about the cache thing which makes perfect since trying to obsorb all the info out there on yonah merom conroe and than the confusion with the ES chips that have 4 mb of cache that according to intel at there clocks should be 2mb caches it is a bit confusing.

As I said I like this forum people conduct themselves well here . I don't want to be banned but I have to say this.

Your a Fuckin Prick . I have never every resorted to name calling but I got to say your a complete Asshole

Mod Edit - ...if you haven't resorted to name calling yet, please don't start now. Use the report post feature and let an Admin handle it.....BlindedByScience

The only difference I know between Merom and Conroe are... Merom will use a 667FSB while Conroe will use a 1066/1333FSB.

Also, Merom will be offered from 1.4GHz to 2.33? and Conroe will range from 1.8 to 3.33+

But, they are the "same core" Just offered at different MHz speeds for Price / Heat Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back