Yet another "should I upgrade" thread

00Dan

Weaksauce
I am currently running a 2500K @ 4.5 GHz on a P67 board. With microcenter selling 6700Ks for $259 the upgrade bug is starting to bite. I've read a lot on this board about how kaby lake and the Z270 platform is coming soon. Given my situation, is it worth making the jump now given the price or waiting a bit longer?

For reference, my PC is for gaming as well as general computing tasks.

Go for it.

The only thing Kaby as such will offer you is a potential higher OC unless you desperately need HEVC 10bit on the IGP as well. But you are not going to get a 7700K for 259 for quite some time. Remember to get fast memory tho, Skylake loves it.

If you have the cash then now is probably a decent time to upgrade. Zen is a ways off and I don't think kaby will offer much to gamers
I am currently running a 2500K @ 4.5 GHz on a P67 board. With microcenter selling 6700Ks for $259 the upgrade bug is starting to bite. I've read a lot on this board about how kaby lake and the Z270 platform is coming soon. Given my situation, is it worth making the jump now given the price or waiting a bit longer?

It's one of those "meh" situations, if you can afford it go for it, but don't expect it to be a day and night difference, you're talking about a 5-10% boost in your gaming, if at all.

yeah I would, not just for the CPU, but for the board.

New boards are much better, DDR4, M.2, USB 3.1 etc....

I'm in same boat. I was telling myself I would wait until after first of year to upgrade to 7700K, but with this drop in price and probably not much gain to performance to price ratio, I am leaning more towards just getting this Microcenter deal too. My only thing holding me up is I also want a Samsung 960 EVO and not sure when those are coming out. Hopefully soon since reviews of the 1TB version are out now. If they drives were out, I would be heading over there this weekend to get my parts. I don't want to buy the parts and sit on them while waiting on hard drive.

Get a 6800k instead and you will be much better off, at least in my opinion. However, a 6700k at that price would be good as well plus a board that give you the $40 off combined purchase.

Do it, Kaby isn't going to be worth it compared to this deal.

It's one of those "meh" situations, if you can afford it go for it, but don't expect it to be a day and night difference, you're talking about a 5-10% boost in your gaming, if at all.

Nonsense. Skylake offers about 25% more perf/clock than SNB and the 6700K has hyperthreading.

Doesn't it kind of depend on what you can overclock the 6700K to? He needs a 12.5% overclock to reach the 4.5Ghz of the i5-2500 which should then be a 25% performance gain. If there's no overclocking on the Skylake then the difference is only 12.5% which is kind of "meh".
Nonsense. Skylake offers about 25% more perf/clock than SNB and the 6700K has hyperthreading.

I say go for it. About a year ago, I found that my non-overclocked 2500K was just not fast enough for the current crop of AAA games. Maybe it would have been if I'd been able to overclock, but my motherboard didn't allow it, and then the mobo died, so I just upgraded the whole system.

That deal sounds like a good one, to me. I'd jump on it, in your position. I assume you have a decent graphics card to use with it?

I'm thinking about upgrading my i5 2500 also.

I think I'm going to wait for the new kaby lake processors coming out. They may offer a substantial boost for overclocking. For me I"m going to take the gamble and wait then jump on a deal right now. Janary the new process will be released so they are just right around the corner.

If you are thinking about it, you're only looking for validation. Only you can decide the value. I can tell you that regardless of what the people say, if you want any updated features or desire the faster CPU, go for it. A 2500 running at 4.5 is not the same as a 6700. It is a good chunk of change though. That is what you have to decide upon.

yeah I would, not just for the CPU, but for the board.

New boards are much better, DDR4, M.2, USB 3.1 etc....

The potential CPU upgrade doesn't appeal to me at all, really, the gain is so minimal for the investment. Ditto for DDR4. I am quite happy with 32gb of DDR3. The amenities on the motherboard, though, now those are starting to become an issue for me. I'm still planning on waiting a bit longer, probably beyond kaby lake, but it is getting harder and harder to not have M.2, USB type-C, etc.

The potential CPU upgrade doesn't appeal to me at all, really, the gain is so minimal for the investment. Ditto for DDR4. I am quite happy with 32gb of DDR3. The amenities on the motherboard, though, now those are starting to become an issue for me. I'm still planning on waiting a bit longer, probably beyond kaby lake, but it is getting harder and harder to not have M.2, USB type-C, etc.
Agreed.

These days it's all about feature set....

Back