Yet another recomendation thread

djBon2112

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey. I'm about to upgrade my video card but I'm not sure what to look at. I'm kinda out of the loop in this area!

Current rig: AMD Phenom II X4 940BE, Asus M4A78-E, 4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2-800, AMD Radeon HD4850 512MB

I'm moving this rig downstairs to power my new 46" 1080p plasma TV, and I'm going to be watercooling it. I play a bunch of random games, but I see a few upcoming titles that look interesting so I want to think ahead. The budget is about $300 CAD. What are the recomendations?

5850 would be a great upgrade. It's a little over your stated budget, but it would be a huge upgrade. If you're hard limiting yourself to that budget, then a 4890 or GTX285 would be the only other options I would consider. Anything less wouldn't really be much of an upgrade.

Man, if you could splurge a bit more for a 5850 I would suggest that. These could be had for approx 330-340 canadian. Other than that, a 4890 or GTX 275 would be advisable.

Get the 5850 if at all possible

May I join in on this thread so I don't have to make my own?

I'm looking to take advantage of Newegg's free shipping on some of their cards. I currently have two XFX 7900GS and would like to upgrade to something for under $200 dollars.

From this list, which would you recommend I get?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Deals&SubCategory=48&StoreType=2&N=2010380048
you have everything from an FX5200 to a GTX285 in that list. sure get the FX5200 since that must be an upgrade to two 7900GS cards. lol

not to mention you didnt even list one single thing about your current pc like cpu, power supply and such.

For anything that is a worthwhile upgrade over your current card (which is rather decent), the minor amount of money "saved" in free shipping is not worth it (you may just miss out on a card that has 20USD off - but no free shipping).

The shipping cost cannot excede 10USD, anyways (UPS, that is) for parcels the size of the largest GPU box (assuming 3 day shipping to CONUS, of course).

Thread jacking is usually frowned upon, but for under $200 I'd go with the 5770.

Thread jacking is usually frowned upon, but for under $200 I'd go with the 5770.

That's not threadjacking. You're inputting a valid suggestion.

Now, I'd like to point out, other then DX11, the 5770 does not offer a significant performance increase over the 4850, but it is solidly faster, more power efficient, and has DX11.

That's not threadjacking. You're inputting a valid suggestion.

Now, I'd like to point out, other then DX11, the 5770 does not offer a significant performance increase over the 4850, but it is somewhat, and solidly, faster.
he is referring to the post by missing theory.

I have a suggestion, punt on the water cooling and just pour the extra cash into a vid card like the 5870. Putting more money into the video card will get you more performance than splitting your funds between a water cooling setup and a vid card.

Back