• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

(Yet Another) Power Supply Recommendation

mercury529

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 19, 2007
Messages
173
Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of building a new machine. I intend to overclock the CPU, but not press it too hard (3.2-3.4 at absolute highest). I intend for it to serve my purposes for programming/gaming for about 2 years when I will rebuild and try to keep as many components as possible (which probably won't be a ton with the switch to Nehalem and DDR 3).

Here is what I envision I will end up buying when all is said and done:

Case: Antec P180
Processor: Q6600
Video Card: 4850, 4870, or GTX 260 with no intent of running any X-Fire or SLI in the future
Mobo: P45-based most likely (RAID support, probably no X-Fire/SLI)
Hard Drives: 2xRaptor 74 gig in RAID 1
Sound Card: SoundBlaster Audigy 2
Other Drives: 1xDVD Writer

Given the current setup (let me know if you need any more info), I had two questions.

1.) What would be a good choice for a PSU at or under $80 for this rig?
2.) What would be a good choice for a PSU at or under $160 for this rig?
3.) Would advantages would the PSU in 2 have over 1?
4.) If I intended to keep the PSU for use in a new computer 2 years down the line, what would be a good choice for a PSU?
5.) What do you think would be cheaper in the long run: Buying a PSU from question 1 now and another PSU 2 years down the road to support a new, sweet-spot budget build OR buying a PSU from question 4 and using it when I rebuild in 2 years?

Thanks a lot for any help you can provide.
 
1) Just $5 more than $80: Corsair 550VX 550W PSU - $85

2) BFGTech BFGR800WESPSU ES-800 800W PSU - $170

3) More power.

4) Either the Corsair 450VX or ES-800 would be a good choice

5) Neither options since it's hard to compute future power requirements that far in advance. There's a chance that there might be a $80 PSU in 2010 that performs just as well as or better than ES800. Or there won't be enough advancement to allow for a 2010 $80 PSU to compete with the $170 ES800. In addition, your new rig two years from now might not need a new PSU.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top