Hello 
I currently have a system that does pretty much what I need it to do. However, looking forward to Vista and upcoming games etc, I've been browsing new video cards and the like. Unfortunately, upgrading my video card at this point would mean going to PCI-e and upgrading my mobo as well. I built this current system from scratch so I'm comfortable with the swap-out, however I'd like some advice if anyone has some to give!
My current system has:
--2gb RAM (2 x RAM CARD )
--GeForce 6800 Ultra 256mb
--2 SATA hard drives
--P4 3.0ghz
--500w PSU
...and I'll be getting a new soundcard soon.
From what I've read, I need to ensure that the new PCI-e mobo is compatible with all of my non-videocard parts. But outside of checking for the CPU socket (which I may want to upgrade anyways), everything else should work fine, right?
If I do end up upgrading, I'll want a nice PCI-e that will last a while, at least 512mb etc. As far as gaming goes, I mainly play WoW, which doesn't tax my hardware very much... but I'm also looking forward to Vanguard, which will be a much more hardware-intensive game. I haven't done much video card research since the 6800 days... so I'm a little lost with all the PCI-e... SLI... 2 video cards running together ??? Heeelp!

I currently have a system that does pretty much what I need it to do. However, looking forward to Vista and upcoming games etc, I've been browsing new video cards and the like. Unfortunately, upgrading my video card at this point would mean going to PCI-e and upgrading my mobo as well. I built this current system from scratch so I'm comfortable with the swap-out, however I'd like some advice if anyone has some to give!
My current system has:
--2gb RAM (2 x RAM CARD )
--GeForce 6800 Ultra 256mb
--2 SATA hard drives
--P4 3.0ghz
--500w PSU
...and I'll be getting a new soundcard soon.
From what I've read, I need to ensure that the new PCI-e mobo is compatible with all of my non-videocard parts. But outside of checking for the CPU socket (which I may want to upgrade anyways), everything else should work fine, right?
If I do end up upgrading, I'll want a nice PCI-e that will last a while, at least 512mb etc. As far as gaming goes, I mainly play WoW, which doesn't tax my hardware very much... but I'm also looking forward to Vanguard, which will be a much more hardware-intensive game. I haven't done much video card research since the 6800 days... so I'm a little lost with all the PCI-e... SLI... 2 video cards running together ??? Heeelp!