Its pretty bad that I work with servers all day long, but when I want to build one for myself its a different story. 
Basically I need a server that will hold all of my hard drives, as I have a ton of them. What do I have already? Glad you asked.
5 2tb hard drives
5 1tb hard drives,
3 500gb hard drives.
Norco 3216 with cables
coolermaster 690 II case
phenom x6 1075T 3gz
i3 @ 2.5 I believe
16gb of DDR2 memory
2 Aerca ARC 1210
1 supermicro 8 port sata controller
910 watt PSU
Server 2008 R2 Standard, but not opposed to purchasing WHS 2011
For the AMD proc I have an ASUS M4a78 Plus board, it has plenty of usb but no onboard graphics that I'm currently using in the coolermaster case along with the supermicro case, if I move this to the norco case I don't think I will be able to use the bottom PCI express expansion port.
I have an MSI motherboard for the i3, but its pretty small, only one PCI Express port and two PCI ports. the supermicro card is PCI-x so it can work in the PCI port.
My quandry is this: will this i3 be strong enough to serve up streaming movies, ( no blu ray rips yet, but coming soon) music and pictures to the rest of the network of over 5 PC's?
I would like to use this if at all possible, as the other I'm using as my main rig right now. if I use the ASUS board I would have to get a pci vid card as the one that I am using currently is a ati 5770. I have already replaced the fans in the norco case with much quieter ones that still push the air.
Any assistance/advice would be much appreciated.
Basically I need a server that will hold all of my hard drives, as I have a ton of them. What do I have already? Glad you asked.
5 2tb hard drives
5 1tb hard drives,
3 500gb hard drives.
Norco 3216 with cables
coolermaster 690 II case
phenom x6 1075T 3gz
i3 @ 2.5 I believe
16gb of DDR2 memory
2 Aerca ARC 1210
1 supermicro 8 port sata controller
910 watt PSU
Server 2008 R2 Standard, but not opposed to purchasing WHS 2011
For the AMD proc I have an ASUS M4a78 Plus board, it has plenty of usb but no onboard graphics that I'm currently using in the coolermaster case along with the supermicro case, if I move this to the norco case I don't think I will be able to use the bottom PCI express expansion port.
I have an MSI motherboard for the i3, but its pretty small, only one PCI Express port and two PCI ports. the supermicro card is PCI-x so it can work in the PCI port.
My quandry is this: will this i3 be strong enough to serve up streaming movies, ( no blu ray rips yet, but coming soon) music and pictures to the rest of the network of over 5 PC's?
I would like to use this if at all possible, as the other I'm using as my main rig right now. if I use the ASUS board I would have to get a pci vid card as the one that I am using currently is a ati 5770. I have already replaced the fans in the norco case with much quieter ones that still push the air.
Any assistance/advice would be much appreciated.
Last edited: