Year of the smartphones?

BoogerBomb

Supreme [H]ardness
HTC is on a roll right now, Dell revealed a boatload of new phones coming, a new iPhone, and i'm sure that Sony and Samsung aren't far behind.

My contract has been up with AT&T for 4 months. Do you have any idea how long that is in terms of sitting on that without an upgrade? I get my service from the add a line feature on my sister and brother-in-laws AT&T family plan so I am only paying $25/mo for phone service after taxes and fees.

The thing that has kept me from upgrading from my Samsung Eternity (shitty fucking phone btw) is that fact that AT&T has absolutely ZERO compelling phones right now and all the new ones that were announced up until now have gone to everybody under the sun except AT&T. I for one cannot wait until their deal with Apple is up so that Apple no longer controls what devices AT&T is allowed to get.

I was seriously considering jumping ship right now just to get the EVO4G, until I saw the Dell announcement yesterday and saw what they have coming. Then I saw that they won't be around until the end of the year and I just can't wait that damned long as I have already waited for four excrutiating long months.

So many god damned choices this year it makes your head spin.

EDIT: Let me add that I live in the DFW area and AT&T's service has been perfectly fine for me. I am researching how Sprint and T-Mobile perform in the DFW area in the event that I have to jump ship to get a decent device.

Is Verizon not an option? The Droid Incredible is looking mighty sexy, in addition to a slew of other awesome phones now on VZW.

Join the club bro, join the effing club! I've been on the same boat as you for months now, a little worse actually... Sprint is my only viable option to AT&T, Verizon doesn't exist down here in Puerto Rico and T-Mobile hasn't deployed 3G yet. Sprint's individual plans are nice for sure (free mobile to mobile calling is sweet) but my sister pays for a 2ndary line in my plan and given the old inherited options we have on it, cost actually comes out to about the same as Sprint... So there's no merit in switching to a carrier w/less coverage (Sprint is fine here, but AT&T has by far the most coverage and the service works ok). 'Sides, they don't have any truly great phones out 'till the EVO comes out.

There's a huge thread on the AT&T/HTC boards about all this... They promised 5 Android phones by mid-year with the press release they threw out in January. So far they've released the Backflop and announced the Aero, both are worthless if you ask me, the other three phones are still missing. Even more interesting is that they had promised an HTC exclusive device (two total), and w/US Cellular getting the Desire the picture's looking grim on that prediction. Many of us posting in that thread make it a point to complaint on a daily basis about the situation on AT&T's Facebook page, join us! ;)

I've managed to goad some of their reps on FB to claim that the roadmap the press release touted is still on track... Seems far fetched, they'd have to release three phones in two months, plus the Aero which still doesn't have a release date, but who knows. They have in fact gone out of their way to reiterate this two or three times since then when other people asked the same thing. Possible candidates are the Desire and the Galaxy S, anything else would be a disappointment (short of something that's completely under wraps). I sure hope they don't saddle us w/a 3rd mediocre announcement like the Devour or some other outdated phone. (X10 comes to mind, anything not coming out w/2.1 already on it seems pointless to me)

At this point I'm gonna wait 'till the end of May, if they haven't announced anything else by then I'm just gonna buy an unlocked Nexus One directly from Google for $520 and I'll buy an iPhone or something else from AT&T by renewing my contract in order to re-sell it and make up some of the N1's cost thru the profits from that maneuver. Either that or I'm just gonna bail for Sprint and my sister is screwed, heh...

P.S. I'm pretty desperate too, I check mobile.engadget.com and phandroid.com about a dozen times a day, lol, on my SE feature phone using Opera Mini... Waiting for those pages to load and hoping to see an announcement is excruciating!

I found out about engadget and phandroid today too! lol.

Verizon is an option for me as well. I keep going to their two websites to price out plans. If I pre-order the Droid Increible on Verizon my bill with 450 minutes and the $30/mo unlimited data would be $70/month plus taxes and fees so I figure about $90/month. The Incredible is a one-time charge of $200 plus $35 activation. Sprint is around the same. The only compelling phone on Sprint for me right now is the Touch Pro 2 (for $299 before $100 MIR) but I wouldn't get their service until the EVO comes out if I did.

I have given myself until the end of June to decide what to do.

Sprint might be around the same per month but I'm pretty sure you'd end up using way less minutes on Sprint (due to free mobile to mobile, if nothing else, tho I think they had other perks)... And Sprint customers roam on VZW's network anyway. Alas, the EVO won't be out for another month and a half or so. :eek:

The Dell reps on FB seem to be adamant that they're gonna meet the expectations set forth by the press release, I just don't see how but I'll be pleasantly surprised if they do... I just don't wanna wait 'till the end of June, rather get my phone by May, you'll definitely be very well equipped to make a decision by June tho... Even the new iPhone will be out by then (or at 'least announced).

The iPhone is expected to be announced at the end of June which is why I will at least wait that long.

Back