Yamaha HS50M

pvc

Weaksauce
Any opinions on these speakers?

I am looking to upgrade to these from a Swans M10 set. Is it a reasonable jump in quality?

Other options are the

A5s
KRK RP6s
Mackie MR5s.

Right now, they'll connect directly to my on-board sound card on my PC (EP45-UD3P motherboard), but I might get a DAC or a dedicated sound card down the line (do I need one?).

You do realize that they are $199 EACH right?

I would improve my source first. Get a dac. Nuforce is in you price range.

They are $400 on amazon for the pair, but theres an open box pair for $321 shipped.

I'm not sure I agree with the DAC recommendation. The speakers will yield a bigger improvement.

My thinking was that it would be easier to buy a DAC later if I already have good speakers. As opposed to not getting too much of a quality bump with a DAC and less expensive speakers.

Will something like the Nuforce uDac work? (Considering the hs50ms are powered monitors?)

Thanks for all your replies.

I had one other questions. I guess something like the Creative SB 1090 USB soundcard will work as well? Is there a reason to get the uDAC instead? (I don't require the headphone amplification)

The only reason to do so would be for 3d Cmss, The nuforce dac is an improvement, If you are going to upgrade, I would seriously try a new source with the M10s first. The improvement from onboard sound is greater than the change in speakers would be in this case.

Am I the only person who was unhappy with the sound of the Swans? I love HiVi drivers, but in that setup, they just didn't have the presence I am accustomed to getting. It could be that I'm used to "larger" setups (either large drivers, or multiples.).

The only reason to do so would be for 3d Cmss, The nuforce dac is an improvement, If you are going to upgrade, I would seriously try a new source with the M10s first. The improvement from onboard sound is greater than the change in speakers would be in this case.

I see what you are saying, but I have other considerations as well. Easier to spend more on speakers now (with tax return season) with less guilt involved. I am also having trouble finding space on my desk for the swans m10 (with the low frequency fill on the desk). And I have a buyer lined up for them.
Thank you for your input.

Am I the only person who was unhappy with the sound of the Swans? I love HiVi drivers, but in that setup, they just didn't have the presence I am accustomed to getting. It could be that I'm used to "larger" setups (either large drivers, or multiples.).

I guess it depends on what other equipment you are used to. I went from a Altec Lansing VS4121 to the Swans M10 and they were a big jump in quality for me. Have served me well for 2 years now. And at the 120$ price point, a lot people buying them are coming from similar Altec Lansing/Logitech systems.

I do have a couple of questions about the uDAC2. Once it's connected, it just acts like a sound card correct? What are the ASIO drivers for? I use foobar and it looks easy to setup, but do I have to find appropriate settings for all other programs that output sound?

ASIO and WASAPI are just to allow a program to "take over" the uDAC2, so nothing else can inturrupt it's audio :)

Yes, the uDAC2 acts as an external soundcard. If you are going to use it, don't forget to set it's sampling rates in the audio control panel the first time you use it, since the windows default rates are a wee bit low.

ASIO and WASAPI are just to allow a program to "take over" the uDAC2, so nothing else can inturrupt it's audio :)

Yes, the uDAC2 acts as an external soundcard. If you are going to use it, don't forget to set it's sampling rates in the audio control panel the first time you use it, since the windows default rates are a wee bit low.

Ok. That makes sense. Thanks.

What happens if I am using ASIO through foobar and at the same time start a game that does not output using ASIO? Will sound from both sources be audible?

In theory, you won't hear a thing from the non ASIO stream. So far, that theory has stood up well for me :)

Ok.

Another question. Does using the uDAC disable the onboard soundcard? Will I still be able to use the line-in on my onboard sound card and expect to hear that input on the speakers connected to the uDAC?

(This has tuned into a general help thread. I appreciate all your answers.)

Ok.

Another question. Does using the uDAC disable the onboard soundcard? Will I still be able to use the line-in on my onboard sound card and expect to hear that input on the speakers connected to the uDAC?

(This has tuned into a general help thread. I appreciate all your answers.)

You can still use the line-in from the onboard sound.

yes :) uDAC2 is a seperate sound device. It won't disable any existing sound device (well, at least not the realtek ones).

Back