XP, it's back . . .

Starting immediately, Dell said, it is adding XP Home and Professional as options on four Inspiron laptop models and two Dimension desktops.

Seems pretty small scale - HP has continued to offer XP on certain models as well -

Dell has been offering XP on selected systems all along. Most notably on XPS gaming rigs.

That tells you something, doesnt it? :D
It tells me too many people don their anti-MS hats without given a second of thought towards the actual purpose or meaning behind the event in question.

That tells you something, doesnt it? :D

It tells me too many people don their anti-MS hats without given a second of thought towards the actual purpose or meaning behind the event in question.

After about 1.5 seconds of thought it occurs to me that Dell likely decided that it was in their best financial interest to continue to offer XP as a pre-installed OS option due to the huge number of business machines that they sell... I don't really think it has anything to do with Vista itself, it's merely the fact that, just as in the past, most business customers are not exactly "early adopters" when it comes to the OS they use.. It will be at least a year or more before most business customers want to switch to Vista... history has proven this over and over... so what's the big deal?

After about 1.5 seconds of thought it occurs to me that Dell likely decided that it was in their best financial interest to continue to offer XP as a pre-installed OS option due to the huge number of business machines that they sell... I don't really think it has anything to do with Vista itself, it's merely the fact that, just as in the past, most business customers are not exactly "early adopters" when it comes to the OS they use.. It will be at least a year or more before most business customers want to switch to Vista... history has proven this over and over... so what's the big deal?

I think you are right on the money. Business aren't generally ready for Windows Vista yet.

QFT. I am a huge Vista advocate,(I've abandon XP at home and am 100% Vista) but I am not even thinking about moving my work's 500 computers until Vista until Summer '08 at the earliest.

I would like to keep all of the computers I manage running the same OS. I am not going to move until I have 100% Vista capable computers and 100% of the programs we use are supported.

It would be too time consuming for a small business to make the jump to Vista right now, let alone having half their computers running XP and the other half Vista. Dell really jumped the gun dropping XP so fast.

I like the Jan 08 cut off date much better.

we are going to take our time at work. many of our users dont know how to use xp and office 2003 much less vista and office 07. we still have a few hundred 2k machines around.

They never stoped selling it on the business machines. Just the consumer class ones.

"It tells me too many people don their anti-MS hats"

I knew I'd find you posting in this thread that way. Do you work for MS or something? For the 23485435th time, not everyone who thinks that XP is a better current solution is anti-Microsoft. Similarly, not everyone who is anti-abortion is conservative, not everyone who is Republican is square, etc. I don't see anyone donning any hat in this debate but yourself. The person who wrote that quote didn't say exactly what they meant. They very well could mean that there is no huge compelling reason to upgrade to Vista. There is no great value proposition. There really hasn't been a great reason to upgrade since Windows 2000. Instead of assuming that people are saying things because they are 'anti-Microsoft', you might do better to focus on the facts and thread at hand. Otherwise, that had might be perceived to be of the dunce variety. ;)

You still haven't learned how to quote people, but yet you want to lecture me on how to read and interpret a thread? If you knew I was going to post in this thread, I'm betting you came right in looking to disagree with anything I said, even if I offered to pass out $100 bills to everyone.

The reason why some of us tend to defend Microsoft in such threads, is because the criticism of them for certain topics is total bunk, and shows the true ignorance of the person making the claims. Maybe you should stalk me some more, to see the threads were I point the finger at MS for what they DESERVE. I'm all for pointing blame where it belongs, but I'm even more inclined to defend a company who's being bashed unjustly. Some of us just like to see correct information posted, rather than expecting everyone to sift through FUD.

I agree with what djines just said.

Although I do support Microsoft with all the total crap and lies being spread around that isn't true, it doesn't mean I'm a all out fan for them.

I personally think the Zune is crap (I've heard they have like a 9 year plan to kill the iPod, which in all reality is feasible, but I have yet to see it).

B/C I get Office for free, I prefer it to anything else. But I've also been known to suggest OpenOffice to other people, because it does what most people need to get done.

Although there is such a thing as "brand loyalty", I really don't have any loyalty to one brand. I do have preferences, if features are close, or its a close call of which I want to go with.

I've switched opinions of the best software for certain applications several times, all based on what I think is the best at the moment.
This doesn't mean every company gets their shot at the top though. I think there are some companies that make overpriced junk no matter which way you look at it (And I'm sure by now most of you that were here before I was know who I'm talking about).

Don't start bashing on each other now. Attack the arguments, not the poster.

Zacdl brings up a great point about brand loyalty. We have too many (in a good way) choices to stick to one brand for everything they offer. For example, I only use Nvidia graphics cards, but I prefer Intel chipsets. I prefer Microsoft OSes, but I do use Ubuntu on a spare computer at work to play around with. There are so many choices we have as consumers, it becomes ridiculous to bash an entire company across all of their product lines.

Dell had some feedback from its customers, so they listened. If all of their customers said to ditch XP and go with Vista only, they would have done it. People have asked the major OEMs to offer no Oses or Linux pre-installed, and they've listened.

Customers didn't say no to Vista, they said no to DRM. If Microsoft got rid of the DRM, people would buy it. As it stands, I wouldn't install it even if it was free.

Customers didn't say no to Vista, they said no to DRM. If Microsoft got rid of the DRM, people would buy it. As it stands, I wouldn't install it even if it was free.
Please don't open that can of worms. This is the type of FUD we've been talking about. DRM wasn't Microsoft's doing, nor is it up to them to include or exclude it from their OS. Can you tell me what is is DRM is preventing you from doing right now, that makes you not want Vista, even if it's free? Or are you just spouting someting you saw on a blog somewhere?

It is not Microsoft's place to 'crack' the DRM in HDDVD or Blu-ray media so that we can do what we want with 1080p content. That is up to the MPAA.

Microsoft had 3 choices:
1. Crack the DRM scheme (violating the DMCA and opening themselves to tremendous liability).
2. Not support DRM protected media (that means no iTunes, DVD's, HDDVD's, etc)
3. Support DRM schema's that were created by external organizations for a smooth end-user experience.

Guess which one they chose?

Of course they're still offering XP on the XPS systems. The Video drivers for the go7000 series cards are borken, faulty, useless...whatever. I can't even begin to play WoW on my horribly expensive, way overpriced laptop with Vista. I've installed it twice, and I've removed it twice. I won't go back to it. The only reason to rin Vista is the DX10 later on...and the 7K series cards won't support it, so back to XP. Thankfully the Dell software doesn't need to be activated online...

"Can you tell me what is is DRM is preventing you from doing right now"

Outputting true HD playback from an HD-DVD player to my existing monitor. Outputting HD playback from an HD-DVD on HTPC via component. The signal gets downgraded quite significantly. Most people don't worry about DRM right now, because they're still using the old DVD format.

DRM wasn't Microsoft's doing, nor is it up to them to include or exclude it from their OS.
Supporting DRM via trusted computing platform was however MS's choice. Some people will take issue with this. Not all objections to DRM and Vista and baseless. Some just don't like supporting products that support something they haven ideological issues with. Actually that is pretty common.

DRM wasn't Microsoft's doing

you mean they didn't create the DRM that is in WMF files?
Doesn't MS have the biggest pot of money and the "richest" company?

MS doesn't need the MPAA or the other one, they need MS. MS chose to create a DRM scheme, MS chose to put DRM into the heart of Vista

If MS turned around and did the right thing and just said NO! to the MPAA what would they have done? people would still of bought Vista, thats a given so MS would not of lost out a single bit

stop spreading FUD that MS are innocent in all this
I mean DRM is just security by obscurity and every single scheme has been broken and bypassed

ugh first I believe the xps machines did not get vista because of driver issues, dell does not have drivers for the hardware for vista, or they do not work 100% stable.

Fact of the matter is dell cannot sell xps machines if machines are not stable due to poor drivers. Businesses are always the last to adopt new operating systems because of the obvious.......

I mean like it or not the vista reviews all put it in negative light, although I did read a positive review from Linux Magazine of all places (not flame bait, but the my personal experience is that linux users are more willing to troubleshoot and solve their operating system problems, get shit working and move on......for example getting ext2/3 filesystems to show up in explorer).

The point is that while Vista works like a charm for you/us, but it does not for others.....the drivers right now suck for it, its not vistas fault but its an issue with the operating system. Its just like linux/bsd/open solaris, its not their fault that there are no manufacturer drivers but the point is, if the driver is not reverse engineered or provided by the manufacturer you are pretty much out of luck. I use vista, after a ton of troubleshooting I have it working the way I like, driver support is bad, and the drivers that do exist can be hit or miss, like my logitech drivers for my mx5000..... just awful....... problems with connections, no reconfigurability of buttons....I still do not have 5.1 sound on my nforce 4 board........

Umm about DRM and microsoft, well lets see, while I really cannot blame them for the HDCP fiasco, but microsoft has been the biggest supporter of DRM. We can look at their wma and wmv codecs and formats. Lets see the DRM they developed for online music services do not work with their zune and like wise zune drm cannot be played on anything else. Meaning that any legal music I purchased is not playable so I have to repurchase it. Sure Mr. Gates and Mr. Jobs complain about DRM and claim its pointless, up front but neither of them care if they can take more money from consumers by screwing them over with DRM. Another example of consumer rights infringement I would say is making their respective audio players, requiring a synchronization. This means that Apple and Microsoft force users into using their software, their music download services, lock people into using itunes and wmp (both of which are crap), this also means you can lock people into the audio formats you develop (no longer is quality and issue here but quantity) once you have people locked into your audio format, other audio players cannot compete because people are using wma, and m4a. While there are workarounds say like the rockbox firmware, if your ipod breaks guess what since you used a third party firmware, your warranty is void now, even if rockbox didnt break your ipod. Yes microsoft implemented DRM which followed the AACS guidlines, but when they were pushing hd-dvd why they hell didn't they campaign to make the format drm free?? Why does microsoft develop drm solutions, and use drm actively in other products?

That is my issue with DRM and closed specifications and standards, its nothing more then a tool to monopolize markets, and screw consumers from choice and the freedom to pick and choose what they want.

QFT!

MS already has consumers locked into using windows by the virtue dev's write almost only for windows, I mean it has got soo transparent that an IT bod where I works was complaining that this linux-only software (free to us from Bath University) results in an Operating-system tie-in and they really should just develop for windows (WTF!!!)

not content with application tie-in, MS now going after the data you use.

The protection of IPR isn't bad, it is the implementation that is, and the present flavour is DRM and it protects via obcurity (and anyone who knows anything abt security knows that security by obcurity is a really crap security model).

MS had multiple oportunities to say no, they chose not to

I realize you are a proponent of Vista, but as a 'general customer' sort of example, a lady my wife works with bought a Dell, with Vista, after 4 years of an XP machine. She constantly was asking my wife about it, couldn't find the things she was used to, etc. MS needlessly moves things, it's like the old shell game, where's the box I check to make XXXX happen? This lady teaches English grammar for a living; she's no dumbass, but she's no PC whiz either; she hated Vista, spent hours on the phone with tech, and has finally accepted her fate. She hates it. She was one of the ones who petitioned Dell to keep carrying XP.
This story has been repeated, in greater or lesser degrees of frustration, several times just in this one school. No one has bought it and said,"Gee, I really like the new MS OS." They've all expressed frustration at it.
In fairness, I remember FUD when XP first came out- "XP - eXpect Problems" was one refrain- but this just seems different than XP's teething problems. This Vista episode seems more like the ME launch than the XP launch.
just a FWIW...

QFT!

MS already has consumers locked into using windows by the virtue dev's write almost only for windows, I mean it has got soo transparent that an IT bod where I works was complaining that this linux-only software (free to us from Bath University) results in an Operating-system tie-in and they really should just develop for windows (WTF!!!)

The protection of IPR isn't bad, it is the implementation that is, and the present flavour is DRM and it protects via obcurity (and anyone who knows anything abt security knows that security by obcurity is a really crap security model).

The only time I have seen MS for example support an open standard is when they have not cornered the market and that open standard is in great use then their closed standard, like in the Vista calendar program for example uses the apple ical (which uses an open standard)..... I dunno if it supports sunbird though.....

First of all, everyone will be moving to Vista sooner or later. That's the way it is.

http://www.yougamers.com/blogs/nick_r/

First of all (and this shouldn't come as a shocker to anyone) the next generation 3DMark will be Windows Vista only, and will require DX10 compliant hardware...There's no reason to go backwards, if you know what I mean.

I realize you are a proponent of Vista, but as a 'general customer' sort of example, a lady my wife works with bought a Dell, with Vista, after 4 years of an XP machine. She constantly was asking my wife about it, couldn't find the things she was used to, etc. MS needlessly moves things, it's like the old shell game, where's the box I check to make XXXX happen? This lady teaches English grammar for a living; she's no dumbass, but she's no PC whiz either; she hated Vista, spent hours on the phone with tech, and has finally accepted her fate. She hates it. She was one of the ones who petitioned Dell to keep carrying XP.
This story has been repeated, in greater or lesser degrees of frustration, several times just in this one school. No one has bought it and said,"Gee, I really like the new MS OS." They've all expressed frustration at it.
In fairness, I remember FUD when XP first came out- "XP - eXpect Problems" was one refrain- but this just seems different than XP's teething problems. This Vista episode seems more like the ME launch than the XP launch.
just a FWIW...

Show her the help function in Vista. (Press F1). On my old school P4, the help system pops up instantly and is able to instantly find answers. You just type in what you're looking for and the help system gives you a choice to just go there or follow the steps and it will show you how to get there yourself in the future.

WinME took a lot of functionality that was in 2K or planned for XP (system restore, other system tools) and retrofitted them onto the 95 kernel. It was a mistake. In this way, Vista is a lot different since it is not taking new ideas and throwing them on an older technology.

QFT!

An IT bod where I work says that ... actually, never mind I don't think it matters what an 'IT bods' where I work thinks.

You state that security by obscurity is bad, (I agree with this!) but in the same breath you claim that Vista's DRM is simply security by obscurity which it most definitely is not. In fact, it's not Vista's DRM per se, it's the MPAA's DRM. And their DRM literally encrypts content on Blu-ray and HDDVD disks. You have a choice: DECRYPT it and re-write that data to a new format that is not encrypted or support their DRM schema so you can play it.

I don't understand what the confusion is! Microsoft literally had only three choices:

1. Support the DRM schema that has already been burned into DVD's, Blu-ray disks, HDDVD disks so that Joe User can play Talladega Nights in 1080p on his Dell laptop. (which looks incredible compared to standard DVD's - especially on a 17" notebook, but also on a 15" notebook)
  2. Crack the DRM schema and allow you to burn 'decrypted' copies of your movies. (note: this would result in hefty fines and jail time for the MS employees involved. It would also frustrate the end-user since they would need to buy blank media and burn a copy of their disk before they could view it)
  3. Not support DRM protected media. Some people say this is the better choice - let third parties come up with high def content players - but the discussion is somewhat moot since Microsoft already made the choice to go with #1.

I mean like it or not the vista reviews all put it in negative light, although I did read a positive review from Linux Magazine of all places (not flame bait, but the my personal experience is that linux users are more willing to troubleshoot and solve their operating system problems, get shit working and move on......for example getting ext2/3 filesystems to show up in explorer).

There are a lot of reviews that put Vista in a positive light. CNN calls it Microsoft's best OS ever.

If MS turned around and did the right thing and just said NO! to the MPAA what would they have done? people would still of bought Vista, thats a given so MS would not of lost out a single bit

stop spreading FUD that MS are innocent in all this
I mean DRM is just security by obscurity and every single scheme has been broken and bypassed

Claiming that Microsoft is innocent can not, by definition, be "Fear Uncertainty and doubt." In fact, it's the opposite - claiming that Microsoft is innocent bring reassurance and calmness. Also, Odoe has asked that we stop pulling out the FUD card every chance we get. (and if you do, try to use it on people that are spreading "Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt" to try to prevent people from doing xxxx)

Anyway, who are you to say that the 'right thing' is to say NO! to the MPAA. Look at the average American - they say they don't like Wal-mart for whatever reason, yet they shop there anyway. Wal-mart is the largest employer in the US. Do you think these same Americans would want MS to cripple Vista by not allowing it to play 1080p content just because it's the "right thing" to do? NO! They want ease-of-use. This fight really is against MPAA and not Microsoft! (Heck, take it against iTunes - they put DRM in music you purchase from the iTunes store - and yes, they might be offering select tracks with no DRM in the near future, but as of today, all iTune store purchased music is DRM'd)

Also keep in mind that we are a capitalist society, not socialist... companies will do what makes them the most money ---> generally what end-users wants. So you need to change what end-users want if you're going to win this war.

The only time I have seen MS for example support an open standard is when they have not cornered the market and that open standard is in great use then their closed standard, like in the Vista calendar program for example uses the apple ical (which uses an open standard)..... I dunno if it supports sunbird though.....

Office 2007 - Open XML standard. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa338205.aspx
ISO and IEC International Standard ISO/IEC 26300:2006

You are completly right, unfortuantly people who post links like this usually do so, not because of the above, but thinking that even dell thinks Vista sucks SOOOO bad they wont ship it and still gve XP as an option, like the person who posted "even intel wont go to vista"....... some people cant see beyond their own bandwagon.

i cant wait for Linux to [bhave[/b] to support DRM and i am sure the studio's will put pressure on it, sure there will always be ways around it but again people dont think outside of [H] %99 of people who buy an OEM computer, as in the LARGEST part of the computer electronics market, wont even know what DRM is, or care, because everything they do will simply WORK because most of them do it all legit, they use itunes, they bought the HDMI TV from bestbuy because someone told them too, get my drift?

Funny thing i think is most people who complain about DRM have YET to experience a single time when DRM prevented them from watching their LEGAL content, DRM applies to iTunes and other online stores, fine, dont buy then, but dont bash MS when you can still play yor entire illegal DVDr's collection and Xvid collections and downloaded music you didnt pay for.

Office 2007 - Open XML standard. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa338205.aspx

It's not a standard :rolleyes: it was submitted but ISO don't like it for two reasons
1) the OpenOffice format has a spec that is ~400pages long, the MS-one is ~3000pages long

2) it isn't actually an open-standard, it actually reference thing todo with MSO-03 and does not describe openly what each binary segment of the datastructure means/does/should be interpreted as

sure MS are still lobbying BUT it hasn't been accepted and until MS truly upens it up and stop's refering to closed-sections it won't be

So I guess I can call FUD on your statement ;)

It's not a standard :rolleyes: it was submitted but ISO don't like it for two reasons
1) the OpenOffice format has a spec that is ~400pages long, the MS-one is ~3000pages long

2) it isn't actually an open-standard, it actually reference thing todo with MSO-03 and does not describe openly what each binary segment of the datastructure means/does/should be interpreted as

sure MS are still lobbying BUT it hasn't been accepted and until MS truly upens it up and stop's refering to closed-sections it won't be

So I guess I can call FUD on your statement ;)

:rolleyes:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...ce-xml-gets-fast-tracked-to-iso-standard.html

What FUD does it spread? (and again, odoe asked that we stop calling FUD left and right)

I was merely addressing the concern that Microsoft never supports open standards. I think that my point was proved sufficiently whether or not the standard has been finalized or not.

p.s., this isn't a contest to see who can be 'right' or who can win or who can call FUD the most.

p.p.s., I just noticed your new signature: Windows - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.
Please carefully consider your motives for posting in this thread about Dell choosing to offer WinXP as a choice to consumers.

Seriously you Vista haters get a life. Doesn't anyone remember what a mess every OS launch was like? Vista's is the most successful that I and anyone for that matter has seen so far.

Stop with the FUD.

Again I said support not create, the problem here is while it looks great on paper, that microsoft has said and created an 'open standard' that there is already an open standard that already exists, OpenDocument.

Even though this by all means is pretty on paper, an open and 'free' standard, hell microsoft has even gone and stated and released an convent not to sue, so that openoffice and anyone else who release free and open software wont get sued.

But there are problems, and backdoors in the clauses, one being the license that Open XML is released under may not allow it to be released under any GPL'd software, also the convent not to sue only is in reference to the version released, so when office 12 ( I believe is the next version) modifies the open XML, and Openoffice.org uses it they could then be sued.

As I see it, Microsoft is trying to kill off the Open Document standard, with their own 'open and free standard' only to turn around and use it against its competitors.

And MS Office can do about a million more things then openOffice can..... and they dont like it because it was 3000 pages? give me a break, i wasnt aware there was a maxium amount of pages a submission could be....

just a FWIW...
So there's something wrong with Vista because it has a learning curve associated with it? I'll be the first to say that being on the cutting edge of technology isn't for everyone, but returning a computer and bitching about the OS because things like Notepad have moved is ridiculous. She sounds extremely impatient. I'll buy the driver issues, and the business reasons for putting XP back as an option.

My father-in-law, a fireman, isn't a computer whiz either. He's also grown accustomed to certain things working certain ways. I recently got him off of AOl and onto broadband. Rather than throw a fit and be impatient like this English teacher, he simply took a little bit of time to learn how to open Outlook, how to use IE, etc., rather than the Fisher-Price AOL crap. Before you bash my example, AOL is like an OS to him. He'd login to his computer, run AOL, and use their main screen the entire time he was on their computer. To a probable college-educated teacher, who's instructing others to learn, that level of impatience shouldn't be expected.

And MS Office can do about a million more things then openOffice can..... and they dont like it because it was 3000 pages? give me a break, i wasnt aware there was a maxium amount of pages a submission could be....

umm we are taking about the document standard not the application it self.....we all know office can do more then openoffice.

Back