XP is not recognizing my network card :(

ir0n_ma1den

Weaksauce
I bought an Edimax 7128G wireless PCI card after getting fed up with my WG111 card usb card. I think it is a Ralink RT61 reference card.

When I install the provided and new drivers it still won't recognize that my card is plugged in. I even reformatted and the same thing happened... it won't recognize it.

Does anyone know how to enable my card?

thanks

Is it shown in device manager?

- if so, try another PCI slot, could be a conflict with another device using the same IO/BIOS settings that PCI slot uses.

If its not in device manager....then youve got other problems

I think it is in the device manager, what shoud I be looking for? Will the card show its name? I jsut did a reformat of my computer so I have a bunch of unknown devices that need drivers...

I also tried another PCI slot and nothing different happened...

I just tested it on a second computer and once again nothing happened... I think the card may be dead... :(

If you look in the device manager you would be looking for a yellow exclamation mark. That indicates that Windows detects an unknow device. You can also expand the network section to see if the new device is located there. But since you said Windows can't see it at all, it sounds like the card might be dead.

well, there are multiple unkown devices since I just reformatted my computer so it could be there but I am not sure.

So if my card is actually detected, what can I do to enable it since the 'found new hardware wizard' does not pop up?

Uhh.... I don't think I belong here....

I got it to work... all I had to do was apply a little pressure and it popped right in....

I feel soooo stupid...

Uhh.... I don't think I belong here....

I got it to work... all I had to do was apply a little pressure and it popped right in....

I feel soooo stupid...

Don't feel bad. I toasted an AGP card a long time ago because I failed to see that I only had the front of the card all the way in the slot and the back was slightly up. If you've seen an AGP card, you shoudl know that it has two rows of connectors and not sliding it all the way in is a Bad Thing. Oh well, that Savage 4 was getting old anyhow.

Back