XP Can map drive, but no browse

phlegm

n00b
Hey, I am having a problem browsing my network in My Network Places from either computer. I have set up shares on both, and can acess the shares by mapping network drives, but no other way. Printing works as well.

Each time I browse to the workgroup computers, then double click on the opposite computer I get an error saying I do not have access rights.

I am not an expert by any means but I do understand basic principles. This is frustrating. Not in the this is impossible way, but more in the annoying way. Can anyone help?

Edit: I am running XP Pro on both machines, ethernet connections.

And while we're on the subject, I also share a printer from my machine to the other machine, and while it is currently working, the guest account must be enabled for it to do so (this also applies to the shares). I have tried setting it up to use the account on the other machine, no dice.

By the guest account being enabled, I mean under user management, not Users and Groups in CP.

It would be nice to disable the guest account.

Thanks for any help, I could really use it.

have you checked the share settings? You might need to give yourself full control over the share.

You must give the acount permission on the sharing tab AND the security tab. Most people add the user account to the permissions on the sharing tab but forget to also add the user account at the security tab. The more restrictive setting wins out.

Make sure if you have a firewall on either box that they are set to allow network browsing. If you are using a firewall there should be an option to allow network browsing on the tools/options page. Or disable firewalls to see if browsing is allowed. By default, most firewalls do not allow network browsing untill you allow it.

Phaedrus said:
You must give the acount permission on the sharing tab AND the security tab. Most people add the user account to the permissions on the sharing tab but forget to also add the user account at the security tab. The more restrictive setting wins out.

Make sure if you have a firewall on either box that they are set to allow network browsing. If you are using a firewall there should be an option to allow network browsing on the tools/options page. Or disable firewalls to see if browsing is allowed. By default, most firewalls do not allow network browsing untill you allow it.

Now I'm probably going to come off sounding like a jackass here, but I can only see a sharing tab. I don't have a security tab.

I must be doing something wrong?

You need to disable simple file sharing and then the security tab will be enabled. I can't remember where exactly you would find the checkbox to do so unfortunately and I'm at work on a win2k machine at the moment so I'm unable to check.

By default the guest account is not enabled. With simple file sharing enabled(default), if you want to allow access by anyone on the network, you must add the "guest" account to the share permissions.

If you want to control access to specific users:
Goto folder options/view and deselect "simple file sharing" its the last on the list.
At the share add user accounts to the permissions on the share tab and security tab.

Do you have accounts set up at admin tools/comp mngmnt/local user groups for computers you wish to allow access? If you add an account for the computer you wish to allow access to the share, you can remove the everyone group or the guest account. I use the same password and login used on the accessing computer.

Note: I'm concerned that with simple file sharing on and guest account enabled you should be able to browse the share. Not being able to would indicate a firewall block. Are you using firewalls on any of the computers, by default most of them block network browsing, you have to enable it.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I've already set up specific user permissions for shares, etc. and everything is running smooth. I have it set up the same way you described.

I am running Zonealarm on both PC's since day one and it seems to work fine for my purposes.

Again, thanks for the help.

Back