XP and proof of previous install

Mike Armstrong

Limp Gawd
Hi guys, if this has been covered in another thread somewhere please point me to it. I had a Gateway PC that crapped out. I built a completely new one. When I try to install XP Home using the disk I bought for my old PC to get rid of ME, the installation stops and asks for proof of a previous Windows OS install. It refuses the ME edition found on the old Gateway Restoration disk saying that it is only for Gateway PC's. Is there a workaround for this?
Thanks

Mike

LoStMaTt said:
For a new computer you must purchase a new copy of Windows XP.
That is only correct for OEM.

Mike Armstrong, I don't think the XP CDs will recogonizee restore disk, it needs to be the Windows ME disk you insert.

Hope not. It's a new Athlon 64 based system that I want to eventually purchase the MS XP64 based OS for when it comes out but in the mean time I would hate to buy another copy of XP Home for the 'hopefully' short time I will be using it.

Do you have a regular copy of 98 or any other OS thats not from gateway or any other propriatary company >? It will suffice for you have a upgrade disk and it needs to see that you are actually upgrading from a previous version of windows product dosent matter which one..HTH

Come to think of it, when I was purchasing components at Fry's, the salesman asked me if I was going to use my previously used copy of XP, I said yes and he said then use the 'Repair option' (with a wink) when it asks you if you want to install. I tried that and it goes to a command prompt. What am I supposed to type in?

Or, I guess I can go back to Fry's and ask the guy what he meant or maybe just see if they have an old copy of Windows 95/98 or whatever in the bin and use that to install XP.

well it looks like you purchased the upgrade version of xp... what you could do is buy an old version of windows retail (win 98 for example) and use that cd/key... otherwise return it to fry's and get the full version... the gateway restore cd wont work because its an OEM not for use with any other system disk... so either buy a lagit copy of windows or buy the full version of xp... you pick

I'm sure you can find a Win98 disk somewhere cheap. During the XP install it will ask for the 98 disk to verify your previous version, then it will fresh install XP. You dont need a new full XP retail.......you'll get out cheaper with a 98, or me disk.

Footer4321 said:
well it looks like you purchased the upgrade version of xp... what you could do is buy an old version of windows retail (win 98 for example) and use that cd key... otherwise return it to fry's and get the full version... the gateway restore cd wont work because its an OEM not for use with any other system disk... so either buy a lagit copy of windows or buy the full version of xp... you pick

Heh.. So much misinformation these days. :p

Upgrade Discs are looking for specific files on a previous copy hence why the OP is prompted for a previous *CD* not a keycode. Because gateway has a modified recovery disc, the XP install cannot locate the files it is looking for. Many recovery CDs contain *images* and not a full install. If the OP was to use the gateway restore cd and restore the previous OS, then the XP upgrade would install without asking for a previous copy.

His problems have nothing to do with the fact the OEM OS came from Gateway, merely he is having problems with the way that Gateway chose to provide a recovery CD.

*However* the OP indicates he bought the CD to get rid of his ME install on the OLD computer but now he is trying to install it on a newly built Athlon 64 system. This is a legal issue since the upgrade disk requires a previous copy and that *was* the OEM gateway disc.

Since his new system has not had a legally bought previous copy, he should be using a retail full copy of XP on the rig.

Since his new system has not had a legally bought previous copy, he should be using a retail full copy of XP on the rig
Correct, but he can still use the XP upgrade disk he bought, providing he supplies a previous version (98, 98se, or ME) at the install prompt when it asks for it. Its cheaper to get a 98 disk. Unless he has use for the XP upgrade somewhere else, and can use a full XP also.

Monkey34 said:
Correct, but he can still use the XP upgrade disk he bought, providing he supplies a previous version (98, 98se, or ME) at the install prompt when it asks for it. Its cheaper to get a 98 disk. Unless he has use for the XP upgrade somewhere else, and can use a full XP also.

that is what i was saying.... its legal if he has an older version of windows and the XP upgrade... as long as he is only installing on one machine of course...

Footer4321 said:
that is what i was saying.... its legal if he has an older version of windows and the XP upgrade... as long as he is only installing on one machine of course...
Depends on if it's OEM or retail.

If it's OEM, and he said the XP Home was installed on his old PC, the license is already used.

If it's retail it doesn't matter how many PCs it's been installed on, as long as it's only one at a time.

Monkey34 said:

If the OP used his XP upgrade on the Gateway, MS treats both the original OS and the upgrade disk as a single licensed product and thus is tied to the Gateway Machine. To remove the upgrade from one computer and install on another violates the EULA (last time I checked).

Not only that, even if the OP was successful in using the OEM disc from the Gateway machine, he would still be in violation because the Gateway OEM license is not transferable to another machine.

Please note that these are the licensing technicalities I am posting and in no way what MS allows you to do or what someone chooses to do. ;)

I merely advise on what is *supposed* to be done to remain legally licensed for the software. It's one aspect of my business that I am very familiar with. :D

Phoenix86 said:
If it's OEM, and he said the XP Home was installed on his old PC, the license is already used.

If it's retail it doesn't matter how many PCs it's been installed on, as long as it's only one at a time.

Correct. :p

Back