XM-Sirius Merger Gets Justice Dept. Approval

HardOCP News

[H] News
The proposed merger of XM Satellite Radio and Sirius has cleared its first hurdle but does that mean clear sailing ahead? What do you guys think? With the two biggest satellite radio companies merging, in your eyes, will this be a monopoly or what?

The companies have argued in various regulatory venues over the past year that the deal would not result in increased prices for subscribers and that, in fact, it would actually produce more programming choices, such as options to buy themed bundles of channels that are cheaper than either company's existing packages.

I don't think it is a monopoly at all. They have to compete with both normal and HD terrestrial radio. Since both those are free, XM-Sirius won't be able to overcharge for their service very much.

I don't think it is a monopoly at all. They have to compete with both normal and HD terrestrial radio. Since both those are free, XM-Sirius won't be able to overcharge for their service very much.

Agree.

Yeah with how the technology works they're operating costs are basically fixed at operating the satellites. For them to be profitable they need to price things where they can bring in the most revenue. Customers wouldn't switch to a competitor so much as go back to free OTA radio broadcasts.

From what I've heard, XM may well be extinct in another two years ANYWAY if this merger doesn't go through. Given that, and given that each has its own grip on various sports, I'd much rather see them combine than to have Sirius dominate unchallenged or to have things continue the way they are. If they go through with the plan of offering 100 channels for $12.99 a month, I'll be happy- as long as they keep all or most of their present channels (for example, Sirius's Hard Attack is awesome for metal, but every now and then some classic metal/older heavy rock would be nice, hence XM's Boneyard, and for those few times when Hard Attack isn't playing something to my liking, XM's metal channel would be great). Either way, all the sports would be under one umbrella- for music, I could more than live with Hard Attack and Octane, but for sports, I'm really annoyed w/Sirius's present lack of the NHL.

About Time... this whole thing was BS. This should never have even been delayed like this. Whoo Hoo... Now I hope XM & Sirius can quickly get the programming changes out to the customers.

Don't also forget that they are competing against CDs, iTunes, other music download sites, and even The Pirate Bay.

I sure hope my Sirius lifetime subscription doesn't become voided. . .:confused:

Finally, now the gospel of howard stern can be preached to all the nations of the world

amen

About Time... this whole thing was BS. This should never have even been delayed like this. Whoo Hoo... Now I hope XM & Sirius can quickly get the programming changes out to the customers.

Still needs to be approved by the SEC I think.

Finally, now the gospel of Howard stern can be preached to all the nations of the world

amen

I was waiting for somebody to mention him. Forgive me, I question the intelligence of anyone who listens to this idiot.

The moment my subscription money goes to paying that buffoon's salary, I will cancel my service.

I was waiting for somebody to mention him. Forgive me, I question the intelligence of anyone who listens to this idiot.

The moment my subscription money goes to paying that buffoon's salary, I will cancel my service.

But your money going to the other loudmouths talk show hosts is okay?

I hope they do the a-la-carte channels like XM emailed about long ago when they were first laying out the plans for the merger. It would be nice to mix and match channels of XM & Sirius on the same radio.

But talk radio is pretty awesome. You get to hear the issues you want to hear from the people you want to hear it from, and you can call in and voice your opinion on the air as well. Freedom of speech doesn't get much better than that. I don't even want to see what it would be like if the supporters of the "Fairness Doctrine" got their crap garbage legislation through. A limit on free speech is the last thing we need.

Sirius has gone from 1 million subscribers to 8 million since Stern arrived there. Forgive me for saying so, but I kind of doubt they will miss you.

For every 1 subscriber he chases away, he adds like 5 or more. :)

My understanding is that all the "corresponding" stations would be merged into singles (Hard Attac + XM's metal, Hair Nation + XM's 80's rock, etc), and the few differing would simply be added on. There was a mention of having more bandwidth available to increase quality, but I doubt that will EVER happen. They'll eke out a few more hz for a Katie Couric channel or some shit. The lack of sound quality is my only current bitch with my Sirius subscription.

+10 internet points for the obscure Katie Couric reference.. LOL. That just made my day for some reason. So hilarious. :p

Would you object if Comcast (or any other cable company) bought all the Cable companies as well as Dish and DTV?

You'd still have access to OTA HD and the multicasts that they offer (which is pretty much the same thing as what HD radio offers, assuming you can get it....outside of larger cities, you're not likely to find more than NPR on HD radio).

It may not matter, because so few people seem to subscribe to the services, but if they merge, Sirius-X will be a monopoly.

Don't also forget that they are competing against CDs, iTunes, other music download sites, and even The Pirate Bay.

You left out their biggest competitor: street corner musicians. People love a pan flute band

Just never saw the appeal... If I want radio, I listen to the radio.... and if I want music...

Personally, I'd sooner cry wolf over the 'monopolies' in terrestrial radio, seeing as in most areas every station tends to be owned by ClearChannel or Infinity.

This is bad news for consumers... I just can't see anything good coming ou of this at all. We'd already be paying $20 a month if there weren't any competition.

Not only that, but honestly nothing at all on the XM dial appeals to me. Everything they do, Sirius does better.

/good deal

It would be nice to mix and match channels of XM & Sirius on the same radio.

Yes, and due to XM always plays the same songs again and again. Mixing both (unless XM is goes to file X) I might be able to get a mix for once.

I can't wait till I get both XM and Siruis stations on a single device.

It's about damn time.

I've been a Sirius subscriber ever since Howard Stern first made the announcement that he was going to be moving to satellite...and during the time waiting for him, I realized I made the best choice ever. I have an hour to an hour&a half commute each way every day, and the commercial-free radio kicks ass.

I can listen to talk, to music, sports, playboy, wtfever I want, when I want. I stream it at work and have gotten several friends hooked as well.

As for "Is this a monopoly?"...I would have to say no, due to the fact of the other competing mediums (terrestrial, iPods, CD's, etc.). As well, BOTH companies have stated that if the merger DID get fully approved, it would allow them to drop the monthly subscription price due to MUCH lower operating costs. That's a bonus for all current and any new customers.

Just my 2¢

As long as they keep to their pricing plans they mentioned before then I think they are fine. Being that they are the only two in the market as it is and both are not doing all that hot, i'm not to against them mergeing to save their asses.

Yes it is a monopoly in the area of satellite radio as they are the only provider. But that as long as they don't abuse it I don't see the problem. It wouldn't be any different than power companies. In most places power companies are allowed to operate as a monopoly but there are limits in place as to how much they can raise rates and all that stuff. Although I'm not really sure that 1 is that much different than 2 in this aspect.

In this case as they are combining to both keep afloat instead of both going under I don't see them trying to piss off too many people by trying to raise their rates. If they try to get too greedy then as people said there is always a large number of other choices that people have and they will leave. If they make too many people leave they will be back in the same boat they are in now.

Back