XL2420TX vs VG248QE vs XL2411T what to get?

Zer0Cool

Limp Gawd
I think I might of made a mistake..... I don't know. I need ur help forum!

The other day I placed an order for the Benq xl2420tx 120hz monitor. It has a built in NVidia 3d emitter which I thought is cool. But it seems that I haven't done enough research because I found out that VG248QE and XL2411T are 144hz monitors and have 1ms response time vs 2ms that the TX model has.

I mean I really like the looks of the xl2420tx and this would be my 1st 120hz monitor. Are 144hz monitors truly better? Or will I not see the difference?

I need a kick ass gaming monitor! My setup was washed away during the hurricane 3 month ago. (((

Should I cancel my order or it's not a big deal?

Need a little bit of comforting I guess lol. Thanks guys.

The other day I placed an order for the Benq xl2420tx 120hz monitor. It has a built in NVidia 3d emitter which I thought is cool. But it seems that I haven't done enough research because I found out that VG248QE and XL2411T are 144hz monitors and have 1ms response time vs 2ms that the TX model has.
That's correct. To be fair to the XL2420TX, I heard it does have ever-so-slightly better color (might not be noticeable) and it's got really excellent convenience for the LightBoost zero motion blur trick (very, very easy to enable LightBoost on XL2420TX).

-- That said, both 1ms panels look decently viewable if you spend the time calibrating them, and they both have significantly superior LightBoost.
-- For 144 Hz, the extra millisecond or two of input lag savings for 120 Hz vs 144 Hz is only useful for competition (one millisecond lead in pressing the trigger, can mean winning in "shoot at each other simultaneously" scenarios).

The 1ms and 2ms makes almost no difference in regular use....EXCEPT for LightBoost (2D & 3D) and for 3D Vision. That's when 1ms starts to make a big difference. The reason is the LCD panel has to compress pixel persistence into the time period of the vertical blanking interval (pause between refreshes), to make 3D Vision possible. The normal vertical blanking interval at 120 Hz is often only half a millisecond. The use of 3D Vision and/or LightBoost uses a larger blanking interval to compensate. This makes fully refreshed frames possible for shutter glasses and/or strobe backlights, because you want to hide pixel transitions from the human eye (via closed shutters and/or turned-off backlight). This is a super-tight time window measured in fractions of milliseconds, so 1ms makes a difference if you want to reduce 3D Vision crosstalk even further (leakage between left and right eyes). This is when 1ms versus 2ms becomes Mount Everest. For 2D LightBoost usage, it also manifests itself as a near-elimination of the faint trailing "sharp ghost" that occur with some older LightBoost monitors; often seen on high-contrast edges.

Whether it is important or not to cancel the order, it's up to you. For many people it makes darn near zero difference; they are all closely matched when compared to the mere mortals of 60 Hz LCD's...but if you're planning to use 3D Vision or LightBoost (for 2D), the 1ms monitors provide a superior experience.

Last edited:
I'd like to add whatever tiny difference in input lag between 144hz and 120hz LB is far offset by the clarity and faster target acquisition possible on the latter. You are net still ahead of the curve.

The big reason for me to get an xl2420tx would be the fact that it does 3d over hdmi so I could play my ps3 games in 3d. I'm actually considering purchasing one in the next couple of weeks for that very reason. Are there any newer panels that do the same thing or is this pretty much it?

Back