XIM3: The Ultimate M/K Gaming Adapter

Consoles are primarily living room devices, and most people don't want to be dealing with a keyboard/mouse in that environment. Controllers aren't dumbed down, they just happen to be the best input method for how and where people play console games. Plus have you ever tried to play a local multiplayer game with keyboards and mice on? Good luck with that.

A keyboard and mouse is a controller for 1 person. If you wanted to play local multiplayer with kb/m you would have 4 keyboards and 4 mice. Just like if you want to play local multiplayer with standard console controllers you use multiple controllers, you don't cram four people onto a single controller.

I have used a keyboard and mouse from my couch many times, it works just fine. If you have problems finding a surface to mouse on then you can just use a trackball, people should be given options on how they want to play. What makes the fact that you like controllers a more valid opinion then the fact that like kb/m?

In regards to the people saying it only supports 11 games:
It currently has 11 smart configs, not 11 overall games it is compatible with. For the 11 games that it has smat config with it will be 1:1, for the other games it should be the equivalent of an XIM2 or perhaps better. Since people were quite satisfied with the XIM2 they should likely be even more satisfied with the XIM3. I know the XIM2 has a active community with people posting their configs so you should be able to find a config for any game you want to play.

Well, my beef with consoles is pretty lengthy and a long laundry list of complaints but honestly you should be asking yourself the following:

The 360 is basically an off the shelf x86 PC...
Why do I need a third party peripheral to use a kb+m?

Microsoft could provide developers with support using multiple controllers (in the same way nVidia has TWIWMTBP program; they already do with XNA and things like that) and games could support a plethora of controllers over USB.

Furthermore, they could customize the HID drivers on the 360 and make it to where it would be impossible for a layperson to use a kb+m in games filtered for gamepad only/kb+m only/mixed over multiplayer. Ta-da!

~*~*~*~*~

But then again, this is up there with crazy ideas like: make dedicated/listen servers apart of the game and implement a fully featured server browser in tandem with matchmaking and make the UI so you can choose what server you want to connect to.

Crazy, I know...

I'm not an adbot.

They sort of went on sale last Friday but have closed down the store because too many people wanted to buy one and crashed the store.

I would rather play on console when I only have to update hardware every 6-8 years then every 6 months plus you can't play halo and few other games on pc.

LOL, this is going to go over real well here.

Oh wow. This is an amazing adapter for us keyboard and mouse players. Thanks OP for the link. But I don't think I will be jumping at this anytime soon. The PC FPS bug is still inside me :)

I'd buy one but its stupidly high priced and I'm paranoid about being XBL banned (Sure, they claim you can't be but you never know)

Using joysticks just feels.... awkward, slow, and "not right".

I kind of facepalm when I watch two players run past eachother and slowspin around to face for a shot.. Or when I see "montages" of console kiddies sweeping past players getting "epic headshots" that are completely carried by the aim assist.

Some games do aim assist terribly while I'm at it.. Can't count the amount of times I've had my crosshair track something through a wall.

Well, my beef with consoles is pretty lengthy and a long laundry list of complaints but honestly you should be asking yourself the following:

The 360 is basically an off the shelf x86 PC...
Why do I need a third party peripheral to use a kb+m?

Microsoft could provide developers with support using multiple controllers (in the same way nVidia has TWIWMTBP program; they already do with XNA and things like that) and games could support a plethora of controllers over USB.

Furthermore, they could customize the HID drivers on the 360 and make it to where it would be impossible for a layperson to use a kb+m in games filtered for gamepad only/kb+m only/mixed over multiplayer. Ta-da!

~*~*~*~*~

But then again, this is up there with crazy ideas like: make dedicated/listen servers apart of the game and implement a fully featured server browser in tandem with matchmaking and make the UI so you can choose what server you want to connect to.

Crazy, I know...
I don't know why people constantly think this. The original Xbox used a celeron on steroids. The 360 uses a 3 core PPC CPU. NOT x86.

i have both the xim1 and 2 / these guys are the real deal - and by guys i mean OBsIV and the dev community over at xim3

there are a lot of adapters out on the market right now for m/kb on the consoles - they are all crap - all of them, dont be fooled by youtube videos or favorable reviews...

nothing out there can hold a candle to the xim1 [yes im looking at you eagle eye] ... let alone the 2 or the 3

honestly, if you're interested in having pixel perfect accuracy on a console shooter with a m/kb then check out the forums and have a look around...

it's really that simple / either you play console shooters or you dont - for those of us that do, the xim is the only way to go

Back