Xilikon & lelliott731 Update

Yeah, hold off on your luck wishing till after July 8th. That is when I am definitely going to need it!!! And I just found out my wife is going to have to have surgery, so the dream of using the raise for new boxen in July instead of a new car is gone. It's now going to fix up her wisdom teeth! So unless I can figure out why a majority of my boxen are sucking so bad compared to others here, I'm toast after July 8th!

But I might as well bask in the glory now:)

Step 1, Ambian
Step 2, clean off pliers
Step 3, get lots of paper towels
Step 4, ...........

Joking aside, I hope all goes well, and there is some raise left.

You're telling me, not only is that happening, but the week before is our 1 year anniversary, and we booked a 4 night vacation at a $400+ a night hotel, most expensive hotel I've ever been too. So now I really don't know when I'll be able to buy any more hardware, I'm seriously close to crying. My goal was to be to try & build at least a box a month.

At the same time, I'm really interested in the new Intel stuff coming out, including their graphics/stream processor, so maybe I'll save up some instead. Considering I don't know if I can beat Xilikon after July 8th.

I've stayed in hotels like that, but I've never paid for them (I love my job)

Have fun on your anniversary, I just celebrated my 2 year on the 24th :cool:

Oh sweet Kendrak!!! Congrats!!! Any tips on making sure the anniversary is awesome?

Oh sweet Kendrak!!! Congrats!!! Any tips on making sure the anniversary is awesome?

Depends on what the wiffy likes. Mine isn't crazy about flowers, but most women are, so I might start there.

Most of the time it's the small and unexpected things that get the most points. Think if she has been dropping any hints on anything.

Idea: If your in that nice of a hotel, I bet they have a spa, get her a massage or something like that. (don't ask, just tell her you made and appointment for her when you get to the hotel.)

Dude...you're brilliant!!! They do have a spa, that's perfect!!!

Wow, this has really gotten off topic, from Xilikon's c[H]allenge to anniversary spa treatments for our wives.

So back to the correct topic so we're slightly manly:)

I am hoping to be able to afford a new motherboard today so I can finally get that GTX280 up and running. I swapped out power supplies so my machine could handle it, and poof went the motherboard.

Dude...you're brilliant!!! They do have a spa, that's perfect!!!

Wow, this has really gotten off topic, from Xilikon's c[H]allenge to anniversary spa treatments for our wives.

So back to the correct topic so we're slightly manly:)

I am hoping to be able to afford a new motherboard today so I can finally get that GTX280 up and running. I swapped out power supplies so my machine could handle it, and poof went the motherboard.

I'd check that PSU to make sure you don't fry you brand new mobo when it gets in.

How do I test a PSU?

plug it into something you don't care about and see if it goes poof?! :confused:

Or get out a volt meter and check and see if it's pushing the correct volts. (you have to short the green wire it think, to turn it on)

I have NO idea what you're talking about, but I do have an old motherboard I could try it on.

Just a heads up : I'm currently in the middle of the move and we are almost done. I will have a hellish evening getting the remaining stuff out of the house and tomorrow morning, we will disconnect every computer so in case I don't have time to say a word, don't expect any sign until july 8th unless I can post from one of my friend's computers or I can bribe the technician to come earlier :p

Enjoy while it last because this will be the time for me to overhaul everything and make them clean and ready to fold harder on july 8th :)

Have fun, guys and don't forget the beer ;)

I will miss our friendly chats Xilikon! Sorry you have to be out of internet for a few days, I always hate being disconnected. How are you going to get them to fold harder? Or are you just going to add machines?

I will miss our friendly chats Xilikon! Sorry you have to be out of internet for a few days, I always hate being disconnected. How are you going to get them to fold harder? Or are you just going to add machines?

This will be a surprise :p

Right now, I'm typing on my friend's laptop so I have some time to catch up the infos :)

This will be a surprise :p

Right now, I'm typing on my friend's laptop so I have some time to catch up the infos :)

The internet is like crack, if it can be found a geek will find it ;)

The internet is like crack, if it can be found a geek will find it ;)

LOL, that's right !! I'm taking the time to reinstalle my friend's computer and while doing the finishing touch, I'm browsing [H] as any [H]ard teammate will do :D

ROTFLMAO!!! It's good to know you're not going to be gone for too long! BTW, I am seriously worried about my GTX280 & the new power supply I got. I just bought a P45 motherboard, but I don't want to kill that. I think I'll try to find some crap motherboard at work & try it on that, just to be safe.

Oh, and not that you weren't going to beat me anyway, but I just found out by my better half, that all of my machines at home have to be turned off from the 18th-20th since her cousins are going to be sleeping in my office. I'm trying to at least convince her they can be on during the day while we're out, but we'll see how far I get with that:)

Oh yeah, thanks for making me feel good this weekend, it was awful kind of you to move and get your internet disconnected so I'd feel like I had a fighting chance. I'm now up to a 301,648 point lead!!! But that will change as of Monday I'm sure!

Oh yeah, thanks for making me feel good this weekend, it was awful kind of you to move and get your internet disconnected so I'd feel like I had a fighting chance. I'm now up to a 301,648 point lead!!! But that will change as of Monday I'm sure!

No, not before tuesday :( I also had to disconnect one day early when the new owners insisted hard to move in our house due to a tight schedule so you get about 35k more lead than expected.... I'm working hard to plan the new setup of a MEGA folding box (20K PPD out of a single box) ;)

Ahh...I too will be building a Mega folding box soon, hopefully close to 20k PPD. I am going to work on my new budget tomorrow with my raise coming. Unfortunately with my wife's surgery coming up in late July & our anniversary weekend being next weekend, my folding budget is going to be very small for July & early August. Now once late August comes around, I should be back to being able to purchase hardware semi-monthly!

Last evening to party... I confirmed with the technician that tomorrow is the day I will get the internet back :D

Tonight, I'll finish the networking setup then hook all the boxens back so it's ready for the folding action ASAP (and trying to narrow the gap) !

Last evening to party... I confirmed with the technician that tomorrow is the day I will get the internet back :D

Tonight, I'll finish the networking setup then hook all the boxens back so it's ready for the folding action ASAP (and trying to narrow the gap) !

You got to tell us the techs reaction to your farm :D

Hey Xilikon, please "be cool" Your not bein' online will definitely lower the number of people I can ask dumb questions to. :rolleyes:

Hurry up and get back online or..... you could get a doctorate in "smoke signals" :p nah..., it'd probably be easier to just threaten your technician with "bodily harm" :D

FOLD ON!

Ahh, my last evening of widening the gap!!! And today was the lowest output I've had in a LONG time, and I'm not sure why at all. I was out of work all day, but I don't know what could have caused my 5 day average of 44,436PPD to drop to 17,845PPD today.

Oh well, I'll figure it out tomorrow. I seriously wish you luck with your internet install, make sure the guy doesn't have a heart attack when they see's your farm!

Tomorrow begins the war of the summer. I'm already starting to sweat...I just wish I could figure out my PSU/GTX280 issue.

Ahh, my last evening of widening the gap!!! And today was the lowest output I've had in a LONG time, and I'm not sure why at all. I was out of work all day, but I don't know what could have caused my 5 day average of 44,436PPD to drop to 17,845PPD today.

Oh well, I'll figure it out tomorrow. I seriously wish you luck with your internet install, make sure the guy doesn't have a heart attack when they see's your farm!

Tomorrow begins the war of the summer. I'm already starting to sweat...I just wish I could figure out my PSU/GTX280 issue.

Lol, I'm also sweating at my friend's apartment's :( At least, the AC in the condo works very well (beside a stupid leak of water from a corner, probably a tube not sealed well enough so I'll bug the store who did the installation tomorrow).

I'm done with the networking and started hooking the stuff back (switches, wifi AP, cable modem, etc...). I'll come back tomorrow morning to finish it while kicking the technician to hurry up with the connection :p

End of party, I'm now back online !!

I'm currently working to kick all my farm back into action ;)

will rent farm for 8800GT's lol

Well there goes the end of my increase in distance. Now it will shrink faster then I can count, and then I'll be neck & neck with you within a week or two!

I really want my wife's cousins to find another place to stay, because that's going to hit me hardcore with them staying for 3 days, and me having to have to turn off all my boxen during that time.

Hey now FLECOM, if you're offering to rent out your farm...8800GT's aren't deserving of your output. I'd be willing to give GTX280's at least:)

Well there goes the end of my increase in distance. Now it will shrink faster then I can count, and then I'll be neck & neck with you within a week or two!

I really want my wife's cousins to find another place to stay, because that's going to hit me hardcore with them staying for 3 days, and me having to have to turn off all my boxen during that time.

LOL, that make us even... What a unexpected turn of events :p

Here's a look of my farm in my new condo :

Living room view (HTPC + main PC visible, with the server room in the background).
DSCF0064.jpg

Server room view (the boxen above is the Windows Home Server / Endian Firewall box, the 2 boxens on the counter is 2 dedicated folding boxes).
DSCF0065.jpg

View of the homemade network rack (in order from left to right : Netgear FS116 16-ports 10/100 switch, Netgear GS108 8-ports gigabit switch, cable modem and Netgear WG302 wireless access point).
DSCF0066.jpg

Good to have ya' back online Xilikon :D

Hey, that's a pretty nifty setup you got there. Definitely a "poster" setup for "heavy hitters" ;)

OBTW: I just noticed the "hammer" setup in your pic, what is that "the persuader"?

FOLD ON!

Woah small room hope you got serious air flow for those puppies! (I know from experience!)

Nice farm !!!

So I see alot of ethernet being plugged into the wall plate, are there outlets throughout the condo? Where are the pics of those boxen?

Good to have ya' back online Xilikon :D

Hey, that's a pretty nifty setup you got there. Definitely a "poster" setup for "heavy hitters" ;)

OBTW: I just noticed the "hammer" setup in your pic, what is that "the persuader"?

FOLD ON!

LOL, The hammer is visible to show the technician I'm not joking when I said I really need the internet :)

Woah small room hope you got serious air flow for those puppies! (I know from experience!)

Nice farm !!!

Yeah, I knew there is a issue but I wanted to wait till I'm there and see if the AC can cool the room. So far, no dice since the wall unit is blowing the other way and the server room is just behind. I just bought a vertical fan that I put just behind the slighty open door to bring cool air (cool air is denser than hot air) inside and hopefully push the hot air outside to be cooled by the AC... If this doesn't work, I may look at more manly ways to cool that room or spread the boxens around the condo instead.

So I see alot of ethernet being plugged into the wall plate, are there outlets throughout the condo? Where are the pics of those boxen?

Yes, it's for all the wall plates so you can plug it anywhere (and have potential for a big farm :p). The boxens pics is what you see, in those Antec NSK4480 cases in the server room along with the Lian-Li PC-A05B for HTPC and Wavemaster for my main PC + a laptop hidden in the kitchen.

I'm in serious trouble!!! Although...thanks to your move, I'm now up to a 440,866 point lead:D I'm sure it won't last long though:(

To clarify on my previoys reply, this is because all outlets is fully wired but not all outlets have a computer plugged. It's mainly because I wanted to have the flexibility to plug computers anywhere in the condo. Here's a list of the outlets :

Living Room : 1-2 for my desk, 3-4 for the HTPC/PS3 with the TV and 5 behind the couch in case.
Kitchen : 1 outlet on the countertop.
Dinner room : 1 outlet (might plug a TV with a Media Center Extender there).
Master bedroom : 1 outlet
2nd bedroom : 1 outlet

The rest is in the server room. Just the server itself have 3 ethernet cables connected :p

lelliott731, I honesty doubt I will have time to catch the lead and pass Tormond before you since my monetary cushion is a bit less than expected so I'm wondering how to budget my farm improvement :( I'm not tossing the towel still since anything can happen ;)

Welcome to my problem, money. Oh well, I'm just glad to be able to keep up with a [H]ard|DCer of the Month, as long as science wins, and our work eventually kicks some diseases ass, I'm all good:)

BTW, I passed 8,000,000 points yesterday:) Never thought I'd ever reach 10,000,000. But now it looks like I will before the end of this year, which is crazy.

Ok, with the limited means I have now, I'm limited to add a GTX 260 (got it at a great price of 339$ -30$ MIR for a EVGA GTX 260 Superclocked), along with buying the missing parts to watercool my HTPC box.

Right now, my biggest issue is heat since unlike my house basement which have lots of room to dissipate, it's a bit crammed out here in the condo. I also had the laptop which is crapping out (cutting ppd in half since the move) so I'm forced to reinstall it to gain back the production. Same problem with a boxen which run VMWare at half the speed (1300 ppd each instance instead of the usual 2300 ppd, for the same 2605 WU :().

I hope that tomorrow will be better after I finish threatening the stubborn boxens with the hammer...

Xil welcome to my world! This will be a pretty challenging part for you! I can suggest a couple of High CFM Grainger fans, and I found a A/C unit with a very high seer that works great!

Back