Xigmatek S1283, $30-$10MIR Microcenter

Great cooler, I have 2 of these. Can't hear them at all. Make sure you have room inside your case.

Thinking about swinging by my local MC today and picking this up.

But, any opinions on if the crossbow brace is really necessary?

I have read mixed opinions on this. I know if the computer gets moved around a lot, than obviously this would be desired. But what if it doesn't?

Plan on using this in an Antec 300 case.

Thinking about swinging by my local MC today and picking this up.

But, any opinions on if the crossbow brace is really necessary?

I have read mixed opinions on this. I know if the computer gets moved around a lot, than obviously this would be desired. But what if it doesn't?

Plan on using this in an Antec 300 case.

I have the same mobo as you, except in a 900 case. I feel safer with the bracket, it's way more secure than the push pins. When the cooler was mounted with push pins, I always get the nagging feeling that due to the cooler being perpendicular to the mobo, eventually it will cause the mobo to be bent. In addition mounting with the bracket applies a bit more pressure so there is better contact with the processor for cooling.

edit* I actually have the bracket that the OP linked to rather than the xigmatek branded one, it mounts just fine.

I guess getting the backplate is a good idea then.

Hmmm...what happens if I swap out cpus and need to remove the S1283...do I need to pull out the mobo to hold the backplate in place while I reattach the HSF? Or does the backplate mount to the board so you don't have to pull the mobo?

I guess getting the backplate is a good idea then.

Hmmm...what happens if I swap out cpus and need to remove the S1283...do I need to pull out the mobo to hold the backplate in place while I reattach the HSF? Or does the backplate mount to the board so you don't have to pull the mobo?

The backplate has an area where you can peel off some backing to reveal a sticky area that sticks the backplate to the back of the mobo. I don't know if the stickiness eventually wears off though.

I have one of these. I just use the pushpins. If they're good enough for Intel, they're good enough for me.

Just ordered one of these, but I have a question about how I should install it. I've got a V1000B, which uses a reverse ATX layout, with the rear 120mm fan as an intake. My question is what would be the best way to install this cooler? By default, from what I've seen, the fan pushes air through the heatsink. Should I leave it like that, or should I reverse the fan and have it pull air through? Just wondering if one is better than the other. Maybe it doesn't make a difference, haha. Figured I would ask anyways. Here's a quick illustration of what I mean, haha:

cpucooler.jpg

Thanks for any help :)

just do the default... the left one

imo people should just get the blot thru kit. Safer, easier to install, brings down temps.. all for 7 bucks? I got one and it's better than the pushpin.

I lapped my s1283 and it's doing a great job on my i7 920. 4.0ghz, 1.31vcore, 40C idle, 60C load.

I have the bolt through kit as well.

just do the default... the left one

imo people should just get the blot thru kit. Safer, easier to install, brings down temps.. all for 7 bucks? I got one and it's better than the pushpin.

In the image, the default is the illustration on the right side.

God I hate when companies mess with $10 or less MIRs...

Also, can you change the fan or do you have to use the stock one?

Looks like you should be able to change it. The fan just attaches using rubber fan mounts. Some detailed pics of how it attaches here.

The rebate is quite generic. Newegg sells the DK-S1283V (black coated version including the 1366 bracket) for $40, previously with free shipping.

If you could catch it with free shipping and get them to honor the rebate on it, $30 shipped on the DK with the mounting kit would be a really good deal.

Got mine today. That was quick :) Can't wait to install it. Just gotta wait for the bolt-down kit from Sidewinder to get here. Hopefully it'll come tomorrow.

If anyone cares I received the Xigma rebate in about ~2 months. From the date dropping it off at the post office and receiving the check.

Quick question about the bolt down down kit:

If I already have an s1283, currently on an AM2 setup, and don't know where my 775 mounting hardware is, can I just order the bolt down kit and be done with it?

Quick question about the bolt down down kit:

If I already have an s1283, currently on an AM2 setup, and don't know where my 775 mounting hardware is, can I just order the bolt down kit and be done with it?

Yeah.

The Xigmatek crossbow kit includes everything you need besides the HSF itself.

Has the mobo backbrace, the add on mounts to the hsf itself (the two little wing like pieces that mount to the bottom of the HSF on each side) and the bolts and springs themself.

I picked up the Xigmatek ACK-I7361 crossbow for use with my e5200. Also includes whats needed for use with i7 as well.

Yeah.

The Xigmatek crossbow kit includes everything you need besides the HSF itself.

Has the mobo backbrace, the add on mounts to the hsf itself (the two little wing like pieces that mount to the bottom of the HSF on each side) and the bolts and springs themself.

I picked up the Xigmatek ACK-I7361 crossbow for use with my e5200. Also includes whats needed for use with i7 as well.
I meant the bolt down kit mentioned in the OP at sidewinder computers. I already ordered, so if it works, that's great, but it not, oh well.

The bolt-down kit from sidewinder doesn't include the brackets that screw onto the heatsink, just the support bracket that goes behind the mobo, and four screws.

Got my bolt-down kit today, so I went ahead and installed the Xigmatek. Pics and temp results here for anyone who's interested. Long story short, I love it, haha. :)

How quiet is this? Quiet is a concern being that this rig is in my family room with my tv. Also has anyone put a different fan on this heatsink? I was going to buy the Noctua U-12P SE1366 but from the reviews this performs closely and will save me at least 30 bucks. Also I have the Asus P6T 1366 motherboard. As far as I know I wouldn't need to buy the mounting brackets because the Asus can fit both 775 and 1366 coolers. Anyone with any experience with this board?

The bolt-down kit from sidewinder doesn't include the brackets that screw onto the heatsink, just the support bracket that goes behind the mobo, and four screws.

Got my bolt-down kit today, so I went ahead and installed the Xigmatek. Pics and temp results here for anyone who's interested. Long story short, I love it, haha. :)
Alright then, time for me to start digging through my crap.

Quick question: I threw away the packaging, so what kind of packing is this bracket kit in? A baggie, a box, or what? If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it, just so I know what I'm looking for.

How quiet is this? Quiet is a concern being that this rig is in my family room with my tv. Also has anyone put a different fan on this heatsink? I was going to buy the Noctua U-12P SE1366 but from the reviews this performs closely and will save me at least 30 bucks. Also I have the Asus P6T 1366 motherboard. As far as I know I wouldn't need to buy the mounting brackets because the Asus can fit both 775 and 1366 coolers. Anyone with any experience with this board?

This HSF is pretty quiet in my opinion. The only thing I have to compare it to, though, is my previous one which was pretty noisy. It's pretty much silent in my case though. I don't think you'd hear it in a family room. Especially with a TV on and such. The specs for the included fan are:

Speed: 1000~2200 R.P.M.
Air Flow: 72.1~99.6 CFM
Noise Level: 20~32 dBA

Quick question: I threw away the packaging, so what kind of packing is this bracket kit in? A baggie, a box, or what? If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it, just so I know what I'm looking for.

The packing for the bracket from Sidewinder you mean? Mind just came in a baggie. No product labels or special packaging for it.

This HSF is pretty quiet in my opinion. The only thing I have to compare it to, though, is my previous one which was pretty noisy. It's pretty much silent in my case though. I don't think you'd hear it in a family room. Especially with a TV on and such. The specs for the included fan are:

Speed: 1000~2200 R.P.M.
Air Flow: 72.1~99.6 CFM
Noise Level: 20~32 dBA

The packing for the bracket from Sidewinder you mean? Mind just came in a baggie. No product labels or special packaging for it.
I actually meant the brackets that bolt onto the heatsink itself, that come with the S1283, not the kit from Sidewinder.

After looking at some reviews, though, it seems it should be in a baggie. Thanks for the help though.

This is the HSF I've been recommending to many people for months. Few months ago it was way cheaper. With $$ factored in, this is hands down the best HSF - PERIOD. I helped my buddy install his and My wife's E6300 @ 3.2Ghz LOVES it! :D

In case anyone's interested, they both are working fine without the backplate.

But make sure you lap this thing. One rub with your finger on the bottom and you'll see why. My friend lost 7C by lapping + Arctic Silver 5.

This is the HSF I've been recommending to many people for months. Few months ago it was way cheaper. With $$ factored in, this is hands down the best HSF - PERIOD. I helped my buddy install his and My wife's E6300 @ 3.2Ghz LOVES it! :D

In case anyone's interested, they both are working fine without the backplate.

But make sure you lap this thing. One rub with your finger on the bottom and you'll see why. My friend lost 7C by lapping + Arctic Silver 5.
What would you recommend for lapping? Maybe an 800 grit? 1600?

It is pretty damn quiet. I cannot hear it sitting next to a Antec 300 case unless I put my head down by the case.

Back