Xigmatek HDT-S1283 mod. ftw!

Ok, Here's the deal. A few months ago, I decided to replace my old Zalman CNPS9500 Heatsink/fan with the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 (and optional bolt on kit). Unfortunatly, the northbridge heatsink on my evga 680i motherboard, was getting in the way. I thought it would be ok because just the bottom few fins were bending up ever so slightly, but apparently it was just enough for the whole damn thing not to seat properly, and refused to boot...

So, a few months have gone by, and I've been staring at the Xigmatek box too long. Why not cut a few fins off, right? And I needed some better cable management to help keep airflow good...
Time for some pics...

Here is my untidy case with the Zalman hsf, and half ass cable management:
PICT1107.jpg

PICT1108.jpg

PICT1109.jpg

The Xigmatek HDT-S1283 in all it's glory (and bent up fins from taking the fan off the last time in frustration:
PICT1103.jpg

Time to remove some fins. No Dremel? No problem... I'm going old school with a hack saw!
PICT1105.jpg

Much better...
PICT1106.jpg

and, viola! It fits!!
PICT1110.jpg

PICT1111.jpg

installed the fan, and unbent the fins with a butter knife before reinstalling the motherboard back in the case. Now to work on the cable management. I purchased 6" 8-pin and 24-pin psu extension cables so I could run them behind the motherboard.

back:
PICT1114.jpg

front:
PICT1113.jpg

before, me temps were Idling about 36, and my load temps were hitting the upper 40s to the low 50s.
Now it's looking much better!

Idle:
idle.jpg

Load:
load.jpg

cpu-z:
cpu-z.jpg

Now I have some more head room to bump my voltage and fsb up some more.. I'd be thrilled if I could sqeeze to a stable 3.6 Ghz... but that will happen soon.. I've been running ORTHOS on and off for a couple days now. ...

Last edited:
Those fins bend pretty easily, i find it hard to believe they would be able to release pressure off the base.

Those fins bend pretty easily, i find it hard to believe they would be able to release pressure off the base.

That's what I was thinking.. It looked seated all the way... Trust me, I fiddled around with it for several hours, and for a while I thought my motherboard was fubar somehow. Only out of desperation, did I reinstall the zalman. I was so relieved when the computer booted up again. I dunno... it confused me too.

Why not just rotate it and have it exhaust to the top of your case? lol.

but where is the fun in that? ya wouldnt be able to make a bunch of cool pictures of a xig s1283 being hacked up to fit on a motherboard correctly.. :p

You're not [H]ard for life till I see blood in those pictures ;)

so if i take a picture of my insanely modded file server case with the liter of my own blood all over the stupid thing from cutting myself i can call myself [H]ard? lol..

You never worked in them old 486 SECC cases did ya? :p

Blood was standard run of the mill in damn near every set of pictures in any build around here. It got to be as much humorous and "I expect blood soon" as anything.

We've come a long way, but yes, blood would be good :)

Folded edges? Ground down edges? SISSIES! :D I remember forgetting I had a spinning 80mm screamer going while reading into my case, it chopped the tip of my fingernail off, thank god I didn't trim them for weeks, or I woulda lost the top of a digit

Back