Xiaomi Posts Foldable Phone Teaser

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Lin Bin, the co-founder of Xiaomi, just posted a preview of an upcoming foldable smartphone on his Weibo account. Though the device is merely a prototype, Lin Bin mentions that Xiaomi would consider mass producing the folding gadget if there's enough interest in it. It's possible that such a device could eventually come to the U.S, as Xiaomi said they were trying to ramp up their overseas presence last year. Thanks to TechRadar for spotting the post, and their suggestion of healthy skepticism is good advice to take, given how clunky previous foldable devices have been.

Check out the video and the (very rough) post translation here.

Xiaomi double folding mobile phone is coming! After conquering a series of technical problems such as flexible folding screen technology, four-wheel drive folding shaft technology, flexible cover technology, and MIUI adaptation, we made the first folding screen mobile phone, which should be the world's first double folding mobile phone. This symmetrical double-folded form perfectly combines the experience of the tablet and mobile phone, which is both practical and beautiful. Although it is still an engineering machine, it is sent out for everyone to see. Welcome everyone to forward / comment / like. If you like it, we will consider making a mass production machine in the future. In addition, we want to give this engineering machine a name, what do you think is good? I think of two: Xiaomi Dual Flex, Xiaomi MIX Flex. Welcome everyone to make suggestions!

Can't tell if not smooth or just reflection at 45-46 second mark?

That screen doesn’t even look flat in tablet form, this stuff is all garbage until they figure that out.

I'm just going to laugh at people buying these things. Honestly this is beyond stupid. This is literally a feature that serves zero purpose outside "my phablet foldes huuurr" .

Huh, I wonder how Xiaomi was able to produce a foldable screen device so quickly.... <scratches beard> I guess they must have worked on it entirely in parallel to Samsung.

I'm wondering with a little precision and care you could have glass panels that fold up to enlarge the screen with a tolerable seam between them and have a product before these get good.

The real application for this is to create a 'soft phone'. Something out of rubbery plastic and with flex in the screen and give them to kids.

No interest as folding to phone from tablet in increases the thickness substantially. Also, what about phone protectors, how are they going to make that work for those that need them??

If I was Xiaomi, I would not show off my stolen Samsung design work to the public while active lawsuits from Samsung are going on already.

I like the idea of these, but if they are super thick when folded to the point where they won't comfortably fit in my pocket, that's an issue.

I saw a different prototype on an LTT video, and it looked like it was way too thick when folded. Though, that one just folded in half whereas this one seems to fold on both sides. I think in half is better, because the rear screen would be more usable in that case, without a bezel going through the middle.

General Mills already makes them :p

God level would be the 4 square fold so you can do the chatterbox game.

The real application for this is to create a 'soft phone'. Something out of rubbery plastic and with flex in the screen and give them to kids.

Have yet to see transforming jets.
oJk8PMd.gif

I'm just going to laugh at people buying these things. Honestly this is beyond stupid. This is literally a feature that serves zero purpose outside "my phablet foldes huuurr" .

I actually prefer a bigger screen. I have bought so many tablets because they're nice to use. However I have a phone that does the same thing, but with a small "usable" screen. I'd love to have 1 device that "unfolds" to something larger and more comfortable to use.

Just because something doesn't have value based on your opinion, doesn't mean that others haven't been asking for this exact thing for years.

A good entrepreneur finds a product to fill a gap while need is present, whether he, himself, would use the device or not.

I actually prefer a bigger screen. I have bought so many tablets because they're nice to use. However I have a phone that does the same thing, but with a small "usable" screen. I'd love to have 1 device that "unfolds" to something larger and more comfortable to use.

Just because something doesn't have value based on your opinion, doesn't mean that others haven't been asking for this exact thing for years.

A good entrepreneur finds a product to fill a gap while need is present, whether he, himself, would use the device or not.

Except this thing is literally bigger than most small form factor laptops when folded. I understand what you want, the problem is this isn't it. This is just a terribly designed gimmick.

Huh, I wonder how Xiaomi was able to produce a foldable screen device so quickly.... <scratches beard> I guess they must have worked on it entirely in parallel to Samsung.

Easy.. They just steal it like they do to all technologies.

1 fold is fine. As long as the phone is not too thick since even older smartphones in the past were twice as thick as highend phones of of to. There should also be virtually no crease at the center of the screen where it folds.

Back