XFX warranty question

I have had several XFX GPUs, fortunately I've never had to RMA any of them.

To RMA a card you need to register it on line within 30 days of purchase.

You DO NOT need to send in an invoice, the registration page just requires place of purchase and serial number.

The piece I do not know, is if you need to send it in for RMA do you need to include a receipt??? I can't see how that would be enforced because XFX offers the double warranty, so the second person would never have a receipt, having bought it second hand.

Unlike EVGA, XFX just needs the serial number on the card. It could be stolen and still be registerable.

Keep a copy of your Ebay auction won emails, the ones with a date. While the registration process doesn't require an invoice, we may need to verify purchase date. If warranty issues ever come up our support staff may ask for something showing your purchase date so it can be matched up against the registration date.

- Include a copy of the sales invoice, receipt, or online order history with the package (Primarily for cards with a 2 year warranty). Also include a signed copy of this document included with the XFX product.
Right from the RMA form @ ftp://xfxsupport.com/public/other/PCA_RMA_TC.pdf. Now that's not for registering, but if you ever need to RMA I was told that you have to have an invoice from when I did mine last month.

Keep a copy of your Ebay auction won emails, the ones with a date. While the registration process doesn't require an invoice, we may need to verify purchase date. If warranty issues ever come up our support staff may ask for something showing your purchase date so it can be matched up against the registration date.

Excellent to know.

Right from the RMA form @ ftp://xfxsupport.com/public/other/PCA_RMA_TC.pdf. Now that's not for registering, but if you ever need to RMA I was told that you have to have an invoice from when I did mine last month.

Also directly from the horses mouth, but what if you bought your card from a friend or on-line and it was a completely cash transaction?
What would you send in the box with the RMA?

Also directly from the horses mouth, but what if you bought your card from a friend or on-line and it was a completely cash transaction?
What would you send in the box with the RMA?

If one bought an XFX card from a friend with cash, then that friend must have registered the card within 30 days of the original purchase to qualify for XFX's Double Liftetime Warrantee. In that case, the friend must have an XFX web site account associated with the card and the warrantee is easily transferred through XFX web site to another person's account.

One can't buy something on-line with cash. There is always an electronic trail, PayPal etc. In any case, legitimate retail stores (on-line or off-line) provide receipt regardless of payment method.

If one bought an XFX card from a friend with cash, then that friend must have registered the card within 30 days of the original purchase to qualify for XFX's Double Liftetime Warrantee. In that case, the friend must have an XFX web site account associated with the card and the warrantee is easily transferred through XFX web site to another person's account.

One can't buy something on-line with cash. There is always an electronic trail, PayPal etc. In any case, legitimate retail stores (on-line or off-line) provide receipt regardless of payment method.

That explains the warranty transfer policy fairly well. When buying a used XFX its a good idea to make sure the seller has registered the video card, and can provide a registration code. Registration codes are generated upon registration through the website, so if your seller doesn't have this they may not have activated the lifetime warranty when it was first purchsased.

For people that are thinking about selling or giving away their XFX video card, that registration code is what you need to provide to the person getting the card in order for them to transfer it into their own online account.

If you’re buying a card cash and in person, say through craigslist or something, it’s probably a good idea to ask for a copy of their original purchase invoice for your records. Not only for warranty concerns, but just so you know you’re not buying something that might be stolen.

Sure you can.
In these very forums you can contact a seller and make a deal and pay by money order or personel check.....or even green money from the US Treasury.
Granted it isn't done often, but it certainly is a completely reasonable thing to do; and you have no receipt.;)

I bought a motherboard not too long ago from a guy who doesn't accept paypal, it was strictly cash.

I admit I forgot about the XFX registration code that is generated when you register on-line.
That is indeed the thing that allows transfer of the warranty to the second person, and in the case of a cash deal would be all you need to register the card in your name for RMA purposes..........sorry about that.

I have a question that I want to clarify, just so I'm 100% certain before I decide to buy anything.

Say I buy a used XFX card from someone. The card is NOT registered and was purchased more than 30 days ago, so it's no longer eligible for the Double-Lifetime Warranty. The seller gives me both the card AND the original receipt of when he bought it. Is the card still covered by a warranty, meaning I can RMA it and get the appropriate services if something goes wrong with it?

My understanding is that if it's past 30 days and I have a receipt or invoice for it, I can still get it serviced and RMA'd and it's still protected under a warranty, I just won't be able to transfer that warranty to someone ELSE should I ever decide to sell it. Am I correct in saying this?

I have a question that I want to clarify, just so I'm 100% certain before I decide to buy anything.

Say I buy a used XFX card from someone. The card is NOT registered and was purchased more than 30 days ago, so it's no longer eligible for the Double-Lifetime Warranty. The seller gives me both the card AND the original receipt of when he bought it. Is the card still covered by a warranty, meaning I can RMA it and get the appropriate services if something goes wrong with it?

My understanding is that if it's past 30 days and I have a receipt or invoice for it, I can still get it serviced and RMA'd and it's still protected under a warranty, I just won't be able to transfer that warranty to someone ELSE should I ever decide to sell it. Am I correct in saying this?

No, since it's used and not registered within 30 days of purchase from when it was new from the retailer. If the card is not registered within 30 days, the reciept or invoice means nothing. The original purchaser needed to register it within 30 days of purchasing it himself. Then when he resells to you or someone else, there would be a code generated when he registered that allows him to transfer it to you. Since he didn't register it, he cannot transfer a code to you. Therefore, the product has no lifetime warranty and is only 1 year regardless of any paperwork.

I am thinking that if the card is not registered, it has lost it's lifetime warranty and transferable warranty.
A basic warranty is still in effect, but I believe to the ORIGINAL purchaser only. Therefore the receipt is worthless, since you are not the original owner.

I would venture you have no warranty.

"GRAPHICS CARDS: The limited hardware warranty for Graphics Cards lasts for a time period of one year. "
That is the basic warranty unless you register the card.

"To request a limited hardware warranty repair, go to the support section of our web site (http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/Help/Support.aspx). Your product must be registered to fill out a support ticket."

Nice catch22 there........even if card is <1 year old, it must have been registered to fill out a support ticket.......maybe you'd have to place a phone call to sort that one out?

I am thinking that if the card is not registered, it has lost it's lifetime warranty and transferable warranty.
A basic warranty is still in effect, but I believe to the ORIGINAL purchaser only. Therefore the receipt is worthless, since you are not the original owner.

I would venture you have no warranty.

"GRAPHICS CARDS: The limited hardware warranty for Graphics Cards lasts for a time period of one year. "
That is the basic warranty unless you register the card.

"To request a limited hardware warranty repair, go to the support section of our web site (http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/Help/Support.aspx). Your product must be registered to fill out a support ticket."

Nice catch22 there........even if card is <1 year old, it must have been registered to fill out a support ticket.......maybe you'd have to place a phone call to sort that one out?

Normally in the rare situations like this, where there might be no invoice, no registration, basically nothing to work with, we will go off the information on the serial number of the product itself. With a serial number we know exactly when a card was made, who and when it was original sold through (newegg, tigerdirect, ncix, ect..), and if anyone has ever registered the card before and when that registration took place.

Using that information we can determine about what the basic 1 year warranty would be, for example if we sold a card through Best Buy June 24, 2010 and the purchaser didn&#8217;t keep a copy of the receipt, and didn&#8217;t register the product, we know that the card is at least in warranty till June 24, 2011. But that&#8217;s where we would cut it off since there is no other documentation being provided.

Our support system will allow you to create a support ticket without a product registered, you just need to create an account and login.

XFX has been great to me. Just make sure you register within 30 day of invoice for Double-Lifetime Warranty to work. If not, you only get 1 year warranty. I always send my invoice.

Back