XFX To Sell ATi Based Video Cards

I don't get the deal with (free) lifetime warranty on graphics cards. Have I been lucky for everything that ever broke or fell apart for me to do so within the first 1-2 years (two years in the EU) or are people seriously going "Oh no my 6600GT that has been running constantly since release in October 2004 died, better RMA it to get a new one or I'll be pissed"?

I have not ever had to exercise support for any graphics card I've ever owned (9 gaming cards from EIGHT different vendors). But it's nice to know you'll get good service instead of being shat on, and if the difference for that assurance is $10 or less, it's an easy sell.

It makes even more sense today, because of two things: first off, components have become more sketchy in recent years, with questionable capacitors, and sometimes issues with high-end memory (see Samsung GDDR3 issues on the 7900 series). Second off, graphics companies are pushing processes and components to the edge in order to "win" each generation. Yeah, the odds are still in your favor of getting a solid card, but those odds have dropped slowly over the years.

HELL yes. Finally a company with a good warranty for ATI.

XFX just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about nVidia culture (I'm an expert), but Performance and quality are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with ATi where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw nVidia, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is being flamed.

What this means is the nVidia fanboys, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase XFX ATi products, nor will they purchase any of XFX nVidia products. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but XFX has alienated an entire market with this move.

XFX, publicly apologize and cancel ATi video cards or you can kiss your business goodbye.

:p

edit: I expected a gaming community to pick up on the joke especially after I marked it in italics: http://ffxiii360.ytmnd.com/

That and I wouldn't trust a post that ends with a tongue smiley

I don't know how much the rest of you know about nVidia culture (I'm an expert), but Performance and quality are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with ATi where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw nVidia, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is being flamed.

What this means is the nVidia fanboys, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase XFX ATi products, nor will they purchase any of XFX nVidia products. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but XFX has alienated an entire market with this move.

XFX, publicly apologize and cancel ATi video cards or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I seriously doubt people will stop buying xfx nvidia cards just because they started making ati cards :rolleyes:

Finaly a decent ATI brand, might think of buing ati cards again since 8xx or 19xx series. cant wait

Evga or BFG would be a much bigger feather in AMD's cap,always considered XFX as a poor third.

XFX > BFG simply because of the transferable lifetime warranty. Actually, I'd say that XFX is better even than evga because of that. Since the boards are pretty much all based off of the same reference design, the only deciding factor becomes things like warranty and customer service and XFX is stellar in both area's.

HELL yes. Finally a company with a good warranty for ATI.

What about Visiontek? I have no idea about their customer service though. I'm looking to buy a Visiontek 4870x2 because of the lifetime warranty.

But BFG and EVGA have step up, which would be awesome for ATI cards

For the most part though, all step up does is get people's hopes up thinking that the next generation card will come out soon when in fact it doesn't and people get screwed in the end anyway. The only time step-up should be factored in is if you know an exact date for the release of a new product and you need something to hold you up until then...

This has me looking at ATi cards with a little more interest. 75% of my purchase choice is based off of the company I buy from. Knowing that there is a good company who has a GOOD lifetime warranty makes it easier to look at some of ati's offerings.

I wish BFG would do this. I would love to be able to pick a company that I like and take the best value cards for either side.

Haha I remember that Muppet guys post. That was hilarious :D
edit: I expected a gaming community to pick up on the joke especially after I marked it in italics: http://ffxiii360.ytmnd.com/

That and I wouldn't trust a post that ends with a tongue smiley

Haha I remember that Muppet guys post. That was hilarious :D

Thats the most idiotic thing I've heard all week. Well done sir

I purchased my first XFX card last year. It was also my first NVIDIA card. An 8800 GTX. After 10 years with ATI, I thought I would give them a shot. But I am ready to go back to ATI. Now I can still get an XFX card with a reliable chip on it... :eek:

What about Visiontek? I have no idea about their customer service though. I'm looking to buy a Visiontek 4870x2 because of the lifetime warranty.

Visiontek will honor their lifetime warranties. They are a good company which is why they have been around for quite some time now. The only real difference between a XFX ATI card and a Visiontek ATI card is going to be the sticker. Honestly though, with XFX in the mix, I can't see myself going with another brand unless the other brand is a bit cheaper. I still like Sapphire though, but their warranties aren't as good.

Visiontek will honor their lifetime warranties. They are a good company which is why they have been around for quite some time now. The only real difference between a XFX ATI card and a Visiontek ATI card is going to be the sticker. Honestly though, with XFX in the mix, I can't see myself going with another brand unless the other brand is a bit cheaper. I still like Sapphire though, but their warranties aren't as good.

not quite. The original visiontek has no ties to the current visiontek. The original visiontek folded some time ago.

Sapphire is a terrible company and I wont ever purchase another product from them. This is after 2 horrifying RMA experiances. I wont go into details but it was really bad, and completly intentional.

I just don't understand why most companies don't offer lifetime warranties. Don't they realize that its good for business. It seems that most people make decisions based on warranties and especially for graphics cards, which die more frequently than say ... a sound card. Oh well!

This is good news for AMD in two ways.

1.) They are actually being recognized as a good company now, XFX would have joined earlier if it weren't for ATi's lackluster cards prior to the 4800 series.

I like Sapphire and do own the 4850, but if XFX does what it does with nVidia by offering OC'ed cards with great warranty; then I'll definitely jump on XFX's boat for my 2nd 4850 and future generation of cards.

2.) More partners means it'll be easier finding the next gen card from AMD

Think for every XFX Radeon HD card, a free copy of Team Fortress 2 should be included.

Much like how XFX did with free Fry Cry 2 with a 9800+/260/280 purchase.

The Full PR.

AMD and XFX Announce Technology Partnership

− XFX plans to market graphics cards based on the award-winning ATI Radeon™ HD 4000 series in early 2009 −

SUNNYVALE, Calif. — December 15, 2009 —AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced that XFX, a world leader in graphics cards, motherboards and computer accessories, is now an official AMD technology partner, joining the elite group of successful AMD add-in-board (AIB) partners. XFX plans to provide new products based on the award-winning ATI Radeon™ HD 4000 series GPUs to consumers, beginning in early 2009.

“In the world of PC gaming, XFX is synonymous with the extreme performance that enthusiasts crave,” said Rick Bergman, senior vice president and general manager, Graphics Products Group, AMD. “Their decision to partner with AMD and launch AMD GPU-based XFX graphics cards, including the ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 X2, widely regarded as the world’s fastest graphics card1 by technology enthusiasts around the world, speaks to the level of excellence achieved by the ATI Radeon HD 4000 series.”

“With the launch of the ATI Radeon HD 4000 series, AMD redefined the graphics market and delivered graphics cards for gamers in every segment,” said Michael Chiu, Chairman and CEO, Pine Technologies Holdings, makers of XFX graphics cards. “It wasn’t just AMD gaming prowess that caught our attention; the company’s technology leadership in multimedia performance, including video transcoding, HD content playback and surround sound audio, made it clear that AMD was and continues to be a great fit for users everywhere. We are excited by this partnership as it allows us to incorporate current and future ATI graphics technology into our graphics card designs, enabling our R&D teams to develop an even wider range of XFX graphics products for consumers in every region and every segment.”

ATI Radeon™ HD 4000 series graphics cards were first introduced in June 2008 with the arrival of ATI Radeon™ HD 4850 and ATI Radeon™ HD 4870. The two products represented the world’s first graphics cards to deliver one TeraFLOPS or more of compute power, quickly establishing both as cards of choice for gamers in the performance and enthusiast segments. The ATI Radeon™ HD 4870, and its dual-GPU variant, the ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2, continue to be the only graphics cards to utilize a frame buffer based on cutting-edge GDDR5 memory. Most recently, AMD launched the ATI Radeon™ HD 4830 graphics card, raising the performance bar for graphics cards priced at less than USD $150 and presenting gamers with incredibly affordable access to the leading-edge performance of the ATI Radeon HD 4800 series.

For more information about both products, visit http://www.amd.com/newsroom.

that is awesome news. its also good for us as well. this is how companies need to think. because now ati has a great company to work with along the rest of them. and ati will sell more cards. and it might make prices go down some more. which is even better

Great news. I just wonder how the site will look come next month. If they go with double lifetime/modder friendly and add a step up to both lines it would be a winning combination.

Evga or BFG would be a much bigger feather in AMD's cap,always considered XFX as a poor third.
Sorry for the double post.
EVGA and BFG are much smaller world wide. They are basically US with a small Europe footprint. Worldwide XFX is MUCH MUCH larger and much better for AMD. I have never seen anyone from Australia, India, or Saudi Arabia with an EVGA or BFG card.

I'm a huge supporter of XFX, mainly due to their warranty transferability and double-coverage. Actually, because of the black PCBs. And the coverage of removing the stock cooling. ;)

You know, if anything, it'd be great if this made the other ATI partners change their warranty policies and customer service. It'd be win-win for everyone.

If anything i hope this pressures other ATI partners to add lifetime warranty and better customer service.

If anything i hope this pressures other ATI partners to add lifetime warranty and better customer service.
You know, if anything, it'd be great if this made the other ATI partners change their warranty policies and customer service. It'd be win-win for everyone.

This. I hope XFX takes a good share of the future Radeon cards sold.
ATi partners need a slap in the butt and realize what nVidia customers get.

good thing about that lifetime warranty. if my card breaks 20 years from now i definitely want it replaced. then again, considering i havent owned a video card longer than 6 months in the last10 years...........

Another addition to the ATi Lifetime Warranty family. (Visiontek, you're not alone anymore.)

Think for every XFX Radeon HD card, a free copy of Team Fortress 2 should be included.

Much like how XFX did with free Fry Cry 2 with a 9800+/260/280 purchase.

It will probably be a more current game but either way it's a win/win. More competition is always a good thing.

I don't know if I should wait for the 4870 XXX Edition, or pick up a RV740 later on. I bet that thing could seriously rack up some nice overclocks being 40nm, on such a small chip already.

This is good news for AMD in two ways.

1.) They are actually being recognized as a good company now, XFX would have joined earlier if it weren't for ATi's lackluster cards prior to the 4800 series.

I like Sapphire and do own the 4850, but if XFX does what it does with nVidia by offering OC'ed cards with great warranty; then I'll definitely jump on XFX's boat for my 2nd 4850 and future generation of cards.

2.) More partners means it'll be easier finding the next gen card from AMD

The X1900 was a strong contender, and I'm guessing you wern't around for the Radeon 9600...

Nvidia seems to be picking favorites these days, and I would guess they didnt pick XFX as a favorite, so XFX is looking for a revenue stream that isnt based on the whims of a company which hasn't been able to come up with a logical naming scheme for two years.

Back