XFX Single Slot 5770

Are these available yet? I have a need for a single slot in my micro atx setup.
 
Are these available yet? I have a need for a single slot in my micro atx setup.

it says Japan for mid-august...

Powercolor also had a single slot 5770 announced, but not released...

wonder if XFX will still have dbl lifetime warranty... $200 is a little of a premium, but i guess it's worth it for a singleslot

wonder if active adapters come with the 5 miniDP slot.... the Powercolor 5770 Eyefinity 5 (5 miniDP too) only comes with 2 passive miniDP->DVI and 3 miniDP->DP
 
it says Japan for mid-august...

Powercolor also had a single slot 5770 announced, but not released...

wonder if XFX will still have dbl lifetime warranty... $200 is a little of a premium, but i guess it's worth it for a singleslot

wonder if active adapters come with the 5 miniDP slot.... the Powercolor 5770 Eyefinity 5 (5 mini DP adapters too) only comes with 2 passive miniDP->DVI and 3 miniDP->DP

The price is converted from Yen.

This should topple the GTX260 as the fastest single slot card, unless if it's downclocked :p

Imagine the 5DP variant x7 on an ASUS W7 SuperComp or an eVGA SR-2 :D, outputs galore!!(now I sound like a fanboi...)
 
Wowowow. Serious business right there. Can't wait till they get here.
 
That would work about as well as dividing by zero...

Well, with a vapor chamber cooler, and a very long card that has a push pull setup with small reguards to vertical height (a-la 8800 Ultra's bumped up fan), with massive single slot blowers might just cut it :)

It would be awesome, no matter what, however ;eek:
 
can somone enlighten me as to how the mini displays work i would rather just have hdmi so what the heck are these things and how do they work? Also you might want to think about something HD-5770's they run hot hot hot so with less cooler in a single slot jeeze put that in a hot box (htpc) and see what happens i can smell the smoke.
 
I wouldn't buy anything from XFX if my life depended on it, terrible customer service & shady warranties.
 
I wouldn't buy anything from XFX if my life depended on it, terrible customer service & shady warranties.

I have had nothing but great Customer support from them. Sent in an RMA , took them 1 day to replay and accept it. I had to RMA my 5870, shipped it there, and received it 1 week later.

The Lifetime warranty is nice too.

Do not be afraid to buy XFX
 
Leave it to XFX to use a shitty fucking cooler that was barely enough to cool 8 series cards. Oh yeah, if you are thinking of replacing it, don't bother.. they used a 2 pin on the board.
 
Leave it to XFX to use a shitty fucking cooler that was barely enough to cool 8 series cards. Oh yeah, if you are thinking of replacing it, don't bother.. they used a 2 pin on the board.

Do you read the Hardware Canucks review?

So this is what we have all been waiting for and believe it or not, there aren’t any of the sky high temperatures we have come to expect from single slot graphics cards. Other than a slightly higher than stock idle temperature, the XFX HD 5770 single slot edition is remarkably well behaved.

Low temperatures mean nothing on a card like this if it reaches its goal through a screamingly loud fan and again this card impressed. It is quite literally whisper quiet. XFX claims it is quieter than the reference version and we’re inclined to believe them.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...radeon-hd-5770-1gb-single-slot-review-14.html
 

Fuck them. I'm going off of personal experience with the cooler. I don't have any sponsors to keep happy like some review sites.

Edit: I don't know what you are going on about.. 51c idle is hardly good. I love how they forgot the acoustics portion of the review page ironically named "Core Temperature & Acoustics". As I already mentioned, the cooler is run off of a 2 pin connection. That means this tinfoil quality tornado of shit that XFX calls a cooler has 1 speed and 1 "acoustic" setting... 100% and fucking loud.
 
Last edited:
can somone enlighten me as to how the mini displays work i would rather just have hdmi so what the heck are these things and how do they work? Also you might want to think about something HD-5770's they run hot hot hot so with less cooler in a single slot jeeze put that in a hot box (htpc) and see what happens i can smell the smoke.

mini DP same as regular displayports....

you can only run a maximum of 2 legacy ports(VGA, HDMI, DVI) from a graphics card... (this means you can run it via an actual VGA/HDMI/DVI port from the GPU, or use a passive DP->HDMI/single-linkDVI that only reroutes the pinheads. Since DP is all digital, you cant have a passive DP->VGA )

the third and forward requires you to use an active displayport... active DP->HDMI/duallink-DVI are really expensive($100), while active DP->VGA are cheaper($20, 1080p)

so you for the 5770 5 miniDP, you can use 2 passive miniDP->DVI/HDMI, and 3 active DP->VGA/DVI to get 5 screens

:D
 
Fuck them. I'm going off of personal experience with the cooler. I don't have any sponsors to keep happy like some review sites.

Edit: I don't know what you are going on about.. 51c idle is hardly good. I love how they forgot the acoustics portion of the review page ironically named "Core Temperature & Acoustics". As I already mentioned, the cooler is run off of a 2 pin connection. That means this tinfoil quality tornado of shit that XFX calls a cooler has 1 speed and 1 "acoustic" setting... 100% and fucking loud.

74C load, cooler than a GTX460 under load, though that isn't saying much.

Also, voltage = electrical potential. When you add more voltage, a motor spins faster, take it away, it spins slower. My ASUS 8500gt came with a nice dual pin, yet had a range of settings. No fan readings, though the sound level variation definately let me know it had multiple settings.

Finally, having owned dual HD5770 in crossfire... they are not silent. I eventually learned there were several fans, from NTK to Delta. Nominally, I get the luck of having POS fans that required 50% min speed to keep the already cool running HD5770 Juniper, cool under load, and they were nicely annoying. And I thought I was safe when I had two V1 reference phoenix coolers (attatched to Sapphire and HIS reference boards, bought about 2 and 3 months after launch).

Luckily, the HD5870 I now have only spins the fan to about 25% under load - inaudible over the already silent Antec 200mm Big Boy.
 
Fuck them. I'm going off of personal experience with the cooler. I don't have any sponsors to keep happy like some review sites.

Edit: I don't know what you are going on about.. 51c idle is hardly good. I love how they forgot the acoustics portion of the review page ironically named "Core Temperature & Acoustics". As I already mentioned, the cooler is run off of a 2 pin connection. That means this tinfoil quality tornado of shit that XFX calls a cooler has 1 speed and 1 "acoustic" setting... 100% and fucking loud.

Are you talking about the original cooler on the reference 8800 GT? If it isn't then ignore my posts.

This was the original [H] review:
As a brief overview of what we experienced we found an idle GPU temperature of 61c and a full load GPU temperature of 91c. That full load temperature is very hot for a video card, and keep in mind we are testing in an open-case environment. Though it reached 91c the fan did not get loud at all.
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article/2007/10/28/nvidia_geforce_8800_gt/5

That has a 10c more idle and a 17c higher load temperature compared to this single slot 5770. These don't look like the same coolers. I remember the original 8800 GT cooler was bad for over heating the cards too. It doesn't look like the one on the 5770 is going to do this. It is only 5c higher then the reference dual slot one. Looks good to me.
 
Last edited:
Here is whats amazing, it is single slot, costs cheaper to make and yet they charge you premium becuase it is single slot. I will take a dual slot cooler any day. I would pay 150 for that thing, it seems like a pure profit maker for xfx.
 
Here is whats amazing, it is single slot, costs cheaper to make and yet they charge you premium becuase it is single slot. I will take a dual slot cooler any day. I would pay 150 for that thing, it seems like a pure profit maker for xfx.

not really a huge premium to make... (in the article it mentions that) it has a different board than their reference card(the GPU chip is placed closer to the vent), which means they needed some guy to redesign it, then test it after slapping a small 80mm fan on it

its $180 or so... their dual slots are $160 right now... $20 for a single slot isn't a huge premium... its same as getting a more expensive smaller device just because making it smaller is harder and more expensive
 
not really a huge premium to make... (in the article it mentions that) it has a different board than their reference card(the GPU chip is placed closer to the vent), which means they needed some guy to redesign it, then test it after slapping a small 80mm fan on it

its $180 or so... their dual slots are $160 right now... $20 for a single slot isn't a huge premium... its same as getting a more expensive smaller device just because making it smaller is harder and more expensive

thats BS the smaller it is the less expensive it is to mass produce XFX is price gouging the crap out of these cards and they also cut out on quality since they use cheaper parts instead of the reference design but if you need a single slot 5770 then by all means go ahead and buy it. Although i do own a XFX card i think they should stop freakin nerfing their cards and just stick with the reference design...
 
thats BS the smaller it is the less expensive it is to mass produce XFX is price gouging the crap out of these cards and they also cut out on quality since they use cheaper parts instead of the reference design but if you need a single slot 5770 then by all means go ahead and buy it. Although i do own a XFX card i think they should stop freakin nerfing their cards and just stick with the reference design...

Herp derp? Size has little to do with cost. In fact, making things smaller is often more expensive. Smaller circuit boards, for example, may require more layers which is more expensive to manufacture. Size, in the case of electronics, is often inversely proportional to cost. The actual cost of material is only a small part of the overall cost.

In the case of this card, because they did not use the reference design, they had the additional development cost of the board layout and the heatsink/fan. Moreover, the cost is higher if the manufacturing run is smaller, as it may well be for something that's a niche product like this.
 
thats BS the smaller it is the less expensive it is to mass produce XFX is price gouging the crap out of these cards and they also cut out on quality since they use cheaper parts instead of the reference design but if you need a single slot 5770 then by all means go ahead and buy it. Although i do own a XFX card i think they should stop freakin nerfing their cards and just stick with the reference design...

i guess you cant read or comprehend words
not really a huge premium to make... (in the article it mentions that) it has a different board than their reference card(the GPU chip is placed closer to the vent), which means they needed some guy to redesign it, then test it after slapping a small 80mm fan on it

its $180 or so... their dual slots are $160 right now... $20 for a single slot isn't a huge premium... its same as getting a more expensive smaller device just because making it smaller is harder and more expensive

if you want to, wait for Powercolor to come out with their single slot... announced, but not out on market :(
 

On the edge RE: the pricing.

Currently have a Radeon 5670, as I'm using one of the tinier Shuttle boxes (and always will be - LOVE the small footprint, easily worth dealing with not-exactly-top-end-cards).

Have been waiting on a single-slot...something more powerful.

I guess the only question is...is the performance worth it? If the rumors on the street are true about ATI's next-gen parts (Radeon HD 6xxx?) coming this winter, it would seem a bit silly to drop $180 (plus shipping) on this one, when in six months the [presumed] Radeon 6650 or 6670 may arrive and almost certainly be single-slot, aimed at the $100 market (as the 5670 was), and perform or good as better.

If they'd had this card on day 1 of the 5770 availability, I'd have it in my system, right now. But it's a LOT of months late, so...ahhhh...I dunno!
 
On the edge RE: the pricing.

Currently have a Radeon 5670, as I'm using one of the tinier Shuttle boxes (and always will be - LOVE the small footprint, easily worth dealing with not-exactly-top-end-cards).

Have been waiting on a single-slot...something more powerful.

I guess the only question is...is the performance worth it? If the rumors on the street are true about ATI's next-gen parts (Radeon HD 6xxx?) coming this winter, it would seem a bit silly to drop $180 (plus shipping) on this one, when in six months the [presumed] Radeon 6650 or 6670 may arrive and almost certainly be single-slot, aimed at the $100 market (as the 5670 was), and perform or good as better.

If they'd had this card on day 1 of the 5770 availability, I'd have it in my system, right now. But it's a LOT of months late, so...ahhhh...I dunno!

5670 vs 5770 is an okay upgrade. what games do you play, google and see the framerate increases. since 5670 can already do HD video, upgrading for that reason isn't worth it

I would wait :D
 
Back
Top