XFX Rma

FinalAura

[H]ard|Gawd
I just sent in an 8800gts 320mb version for RMA to xfx and got a ati 5670 back. Was this fair? I can't really find much info between the two cards

Yes, it's fair.

8800gts320mb was roughly on par with 8800gs 384 - both decent cards, though both HEAVILY memory limited. You should see a slight speed boost with this card in every game.

Comparable overall but I'd rather have the 8800. You could make the argument that either card is better depending on application, and the 5670 draws much less power, but it also sacrifices raw geometry performance for shader horsepower.

Overall there is little you can do but not buy XFX in the future if you are unhappy. Trying to point out the flaws in the comparison RMA replacement system for warranty service is like talking to a brick wall. I've been doing it for ages with Gigabyte with absolutely zero progress.

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=475&card2=623

Comparable overall but I'd rather have the 8800. You could make the argument that either card is better depending on application, and the 5670 draws much less power, but it also sacrifices raw geometry performance for shader horsepower.

Overall there is little you can do but not buy XFX in the future if you are unhappy. Trying to point out the flaws in the comparison RMA replacement system for warranty service is like talking to a brick wall. I've been doing it for ages with Gigabyte with absolutely zero progress.

pixel fill rate won't matter much when you run out of vram for most games at 1600x900 (my experience).

Anyhow, the real world:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/HD_5670_1_GB/30.html

HD5670 mostly outdoes the 9800gt, and the 9800gt raped the 8800gts320 in it's face.

I'd rather have a 5670. Check this here http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...compare,2475.html?prod[4579]=on&prod[4545]=on . The 5670 beats the 880 GTS 320MB in every game. It slaps it pretty good in others also. OP you actually got a upgrade out of this. The 5670 is around a 8800 GT which makes the 8800 GTS 320MB its bitch ;).

Seems like its within the same level. Less powerdraw is definitely a plus. Just sucks how I paid around $250 for 8800 card and got an $80 card back, but yeah, new tech always improves, so its fine.

Card will be used with an old opteron 170 socket 939 and 1440x900 monitor, so its pretty good.

Also, does anyone know if this replacement card will still carry the lifetime warranty? and If i have to register it?

pixel fill rate won't matter much when you run out of vram for most games at 1600x900 (my experience).

Anyhow, the real world:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/HD_5670_1_GB/30.html

HD5670 mostly outdoes the 9800gt, and the 9800gt raped the 8800gts320 in it's face.

True, and all we need for our purposes here. They're comparable, regardless whether you like the 5670 or not.

Edit: if it'll help you feel better, the 8800 GTS sells for like 35-40 bucks now. :p

The main reason I like slightly older cards of comparable performance to newer ones is that the newer ones, while usually bringing refinements to the table like higher DX support and less power usage, often have driver issues with the games that the older card runs perfectly because the games were designed at the time to work perfectly with the older card. This isn't always true but it's true a lot.

Also, I hate narrow memory bus spec on any video card as I am personally very sensitive to stutter. But in most cases, regardless of which one I'd want personally, I think the 5670 is a superior card to the 8800 GTS for most end users.

True, and all we need for our purposes here. They're comparable, regardless whether you like the 5670 or not.

Edit: if it'll help you feel better, the 8800 GTS sells for like 35-40 bucks now. :p

Egh, I sold my 8800gts320 when it still had value (45usd :D)....not really value, but still :(

I like the HD5670, but not enough to spend the extra 50usd over my HD5550 for it :)

The main reason I like slightly older cards of comparable performance to newer ones is that the newer ones, while usually bringing refinements to the table like higher DX support and less power usage, often have driver issues with the games that the older card runs perfectly because the games were designed at the time to work perfectly with the older card. This isn't always true but it's true a lot.

Also, I hate narrow memory bus spec on any video card as I am personally very sensitive to stutter. But in most cases, regardless of which one I'd want personally, I think the 5670 is a superior card to the 8800 GTS for most end users.

I think, due to GDDR5 and higher clocks, the HD5670 actually has a slight lead over the 8800gts320 on this :eek:

yeah, 63.5GB/s vs 64GB/s

lol, new tech just outdid old tech at this...:p

I think, due to GDDR5 and higher clocks, the HD5670 actually has a slight lead over the 8800gts320 on this :eek:

You would think so but I've had a ton of cards in for testing and evaluation this year and I've found that as the memory bus goes down the stutter goes up, NV or ATI. I can't be arsed to prove it because it would require painstakingly taking videos of my screen during gameplay, and of course it would result in a huge flamewar where 90% of the people reading my evaluation would hate me for partisan reasons and the other 10% would hate me for not using methods that they consider accurate. So 100% hatred for partisan reasons, I suppose. :eek:

I've noticed far less stutter in games limited by memory bandwidth with a huge bus than I did with the same limitation with a narrow bus. Take it with a grain of salt, do your own testing, YMMV, etc. I just write down things that I figure out, what you do with it is up to you. :)

not too sure i'd be happy with sending in an nvidia card, and getting an ati card back.

Unless you're using the card for PhysX/SLI you don't have any grounds to complain. If you do, try contacting them to complain. Back when they were an nVidia seller they'd swap cards when it was clear their default replacement wasn't suitable for your usage; I don't know if they still can since they went over to AMD. At this point they probably don't have many working GeForces available.

The 5670's 128bit bus is narrower than the 8800GTS's 320bit bus, but the much faster memory means that it delivers the same 64GB/s bandwidth as the older card.

The 5670's 128bit bus is narrower than the 8800GTS's 320bit bus, but the much faster memory means that it delivers the same 64GB/s bandwidth as the older card.

This is something that I haven't been certain of, so I just want to confirm.

My understanding of memory is that memory speed, data rate, and bus width converge to give a final indicator which is memory bandwidth. So the 5670 doesn't get hampered by its 128 bit bus since it has QDR memory, and the bandwidths are the same.

Am I right?

This is something that I haven't been certain of, so I just want to confirm.

My understanding of memory is that memory speed, data rate, and bus width converge to give a final indicator which is memory bandwidth. So the 5670 doesn't get hampered by its 128 bit bus since it has QDR memory, and the bandwidths are the same.

Am I right?

8800gts320 -->320bit bus, GDDR3 1584MHz = 63.4 GBs
HD5670 --> 128bit bus, GDDR5 1000MHz = 64GBs

EDIT: oops, corrected a value :(

Back