XFX HD 7970 High Temperature after replacing heatsink

stevelopez91

Weaksauce
Hey guys,

I submitted a XFX support ticket for a loud noise coming from my GPU's fans. XFX promptly remedied the situation by offering to replace the heatsink/fan via RMA or deliver a new heatsink that I could replace manually. I, of course, opted for the second option. I just received the new replacement unit, and I just finished installing it yesterday. Immediately upon installing it, I noticed my temperatures across the board had increased.

(All readings are in Celsius, with fans manually set to ramp up to 70% at 60 degrees and 100% by 85 degrees.
-Idle temperatures that were originally in the ~40s had increased to ~52-56.
-Witcher 2: ~76-84.
-Battlefield 4: ~86-95.
-Witcher 3 immediately shot the temperatures up to 95!
My CPU temperatures have remained static. Still stable i5 2500k @ 4.5 with ~60 readings under load, so I know the rig itself has not increased in temperature overall.

After seeing these outrageous temperatures, I decided to remove the heatsink and decipher what the culprit could be. I thoroughly cleaned the old thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol, and reapplied some Arctic silver, but it was to no avail; the temperatures remained aberrant from temperatures of the previous heatsink. This trend persisted even after 4 reinstallations.

One thing I did notice, is that the new heatsink was missing one, albeit diminutive, thermal pad for the VRMs. I replaced the thermal pad with one from the other heatsink. Also, after so many reinstallations, the thermal pads began to morph from their original shape/orientation. I know that these are responsible for the VRM temperature readings, and that my concern of the GPU core temperature would not likely be alleviated by this issue, but I think it's important to delineate as much detail as possible.

Anyways, I'm not sure what else to do at this point. Any advice/suggestions would greatly be appreciated, and if you do happen to have a 7970, sharing your temperatures with me would also be appreciated. Thanks.

Its possible the copper heatsink has been warped and is no longer making proper contact on the dye. We can re-rma this, pay shipping and get it replaced. Please PM your ticket # and ill setup the exchange and personally handle the RMA.

Thank you

That was quite the swift response. My GPU is now en route to XFX. After two pleasant support exchanges, I can now say that my next video card, regardless of the type, will be from XFX again. Thanks.

You and I both, they handled my RMA with aplomb and treated me with the utmost respect.
Next GPU is XFX for me as well.

You and I both, they handled my RMA with aplomb and treated me with the utmost respect.
Next GPU is XFX for me as well.
Wish their hardware was better.
DD in general is meh.

If I ever buy AMD again it will probably be XFX anyway.

Wish their hardware was better.
DD in general is meh.

If I ever buy AMD again it will probably be XFX anyway.

Hopefully all the new cards are water cooled so no need for dd coolers and non reference designs...then xfx will be golden:D

For the sake of anyone curious as to how XFX handles their RMAs, I will be updating the thread with their next moves :) They just received the card yesterday morning. Stay tuned.

Update: I have just received my replacement unit from XFX. They have issued me a brand spankin' new R9 280x. It may not be an "upgrade" when you juxtapose the raw horsepower of my previous GPU and this new card, but it is certainly still an upgrade in my eyes; I purchased the HD 7970 on launch week, so it had a great deal of mileage on it.

Anyways, from the moment I had made this post untill now is only 5 days. I'd like to emphasize that many other GPU manufacturers may take 5 days alone just to address your complaint, while XFX not only addressed it and handled the RMA request, they also paid for shipping both ways and had it to my doorstep within that time frame. I also forgot to mention that 2 out of those 5 days were a weekend, so it's really more fair to say this whole process took 3 days. Kudos to XFX, and to anyone considering whether they'd like to go XFX next time around, I hope this post may help.

h3eFuAa.jpg

The whole process took 5 days from start to finish?!
What the hell kind of super technology are they using @ XFX.

One fairly important detail that I mistakenly omitted: I live in Walnut, California, and XFX is based in Ontario, California. That's literally a 15 minute drive from my house, so perhaps my experience is not representative of what the rest of the population can expect. Perhaps tack on an ENTIRE day or so :p

Last edited:
One fairly important detail that I mistakenly omitted: I live in Walnut, California, and XFX is based in Ontario, California. That's literally a 15 minute drive from my house, so perhaps my experience is not representative of what the rest of the population can expect. Perhaps tack on an entire day or so :p

Still impressive

fucking right...hope i get lucky with the upgrade lottery:)

The whole process took 5 days from start to finish?!
What the hell kind of super technology are they using @ XFX.
Could be wrong but i suspect the rep helped speed things along

fucking right...hope i get lucky with the upgrade lottery:)

Could be wrong but i suspect the rep helped speed things along

Well, admittedly, the prepaid label said ATTN: MARK, so when it arrived, i received it the same day, as opposed to the following morning like normal RMA's.

The unit failed right away on my personal bench, so I "failed" it. Then the following day it probably went out. Since he's so close, its only 1 day shipping even on basic Fedex ground.

The reason for the new in box 280x was simply lack of refurb stock... which is pretty common these days.

Thanks for noticing the effort we put forth.

Mark,

XFX Support
800 880 3225

Well, admittedly, the prepaid label said ATTN: MARK, so when it arrived, i received it the same day, as opposed to the following morning like normal RMA's.

The unit failed right away on my personal bench, so I "failed" it. Then the following day it probably went out. Since he's so close, its only 1 day shipping even on basic Fedex ground.

The reason for the new in box 280x was simply lack of refurb stock... which is pretty common these days.

Thanks for noticing the effort we put forth.

Mark,

XFX Support
800 880 3225

I appreciate the extra attention.

On a side note: this baby is pumpin' away ice, with Witcher 3 temps maxing @ ~64 degrees Celsius; cold as my ex-girlfriends heart (kappa). Thanks again, though. :D

What speed % on the fans? My msi 280x sits around 70c @ ~80%.

Well, I'll be damned. Perhaps I fortuitously received a unit that is aberrant from the rest of the pack? :cool: I actually did not alter the fan speeds, so from what I saw, the fan speeds were within the 25-40% auto range. I was actually in the process of increasing fan speeds until I noticed how cool it was already running at default.

Also pleased about the FPS I'm getting on ultra / high post-processing, with hairworks disabled and foilage distance reduced to high. I'm getting averages in the upper 50s, with lows @ ~44 and highs @~60s.

I wish all mfgs were this good about RMA support.

I can count on one hand the computer parts companies with this kind of consumer level support that I have had the pleasure of dealing with.

1. XFX
2. VisionTek
3. Logitech
4. Saitek

The rest need to take a lesson on how to do customer support.

Great to read these kinds of experience. Nicely done, XFX went up on my list for my next upgrade. :)

Well, I'll be damned. Perhaps I fortuitously received a unit that is aberrant from the rest of the pack? :cool: I actually did not alter the fan speeds, so from what I saw, the fan speeds were within the 25-40% auto range. I was actually in the process of increasing fan speeds until I noticed how cool it was already running at default.

are you in the arctic? #jokes O_O.. those are amazing temps for a 280X specially at those fan speed levels...

This thread is one of the main reason if I buy a new AMD card will be XFX.. I always love the exceptional Customer Support they offer..

are you in the arctic? #jokes O_O.. those are amazing temps for a 280X specially at those fan speed levels...

This thread is one of the main reason if I buy a new AMD card will be XFX.. I always love the exceptional Customer Support they offer..

I forgot to mention - my room is actually 5 degrees. I prefer gaming in North Face arctic jackets and pants. It keeps me awake and my focus where it needs to be - on dominating some TW3. Really though, all levity aside, I think I really did score on this card. For such a grueling title, I'm ecstatic at the results I'm getting.

After this experience, I think I'll likely stay on the AMD train. I've never been one to fervently support AMD or Nvidia, but considering I would lose out on XFX support down the Nvidia path, I may have to ride out the AMD train.

264s26p.png

Just picked it up and failed it for artifacting in the MDPort. First time we've seen that. Very rarely do we see unique card failures.

The replacement will be going out tomorrow as long as en email with information regarding the replacement and a tracking #.

Thanks for all the positive support, much appreciated.

Mark

XFX Support
800 880 3225

Back