• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

XFX ATI cards appear!

Hecktec

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 21, 2007
Messages
197
On XFX's website:
http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/graphiccards/HD 4000series/4870.aspx

hd4870hd487aydf1354x312as2.jpg


Looking good. And yeah, it got that black PCB you all wanted. :p

Fastest card of the bunch:

Radeon™ HD 4870 1.0 GB DDR5 XXX
GPU Clock: 775 Mhz
Memory Size: 1024 MB
Memory Speed: 3800 Mhz

Still no word on the pricing though.
 
About time a decent two slot cooler got slapped on the HD 4850 by some company (and not as a premium type for more money).
 
its about time ATI got a good company to make their cards. All the other ATI companies have horrid warrenties compared to xfx and the nvidia partners.
 
Oddly missing the 4870x2.

Now that ATi has a good AIB partner all they, and nVidia, need is a driver model that doesn't require updating for CF/SLI to work correctly with new games, ie. treat the damned things as one card with twice the shaders/processors/whatevers
 
its about time ATI got a good company to make their cards. All the other ATI companies have horrid warrenties compared to xfx and the nvidia partners.

Not only make, but provide good warranty service too.
 
let hope more companies hope on the wagon and help ati out. This would mean better prices for all of us and help out amd falling market share prices.
 
Oddly missing the 4870x2.

Now that ATi has a good AIB partner all they, and nVidia, need is a driver model that doesn't require updating for CF/SLI to work correctly with new games, ie. treat the damned things as one card with twice the shaders/processors/whatevers

If they could, they would...
 
So...where have they appeared? There's even a news article on the [H] front page, but they still aren't for sale anywhere that I can see..
 
its about time ATI got a good company to make their cards. All the other ATI companies have horrid warrenties compared to xfx and the nvidia partners.

So your saying Asus, Sapphire, MSI, and visiontek are bad? Visiontek has lifetime warranty for all their cards, and all you need is a receipt.
No registration required.
 
What's with the weak factory overclocks? Their Nvidia XXX line is like a 10-12% overclock. But the 4800's are getting only 3%? Or are they just testing the waters?
 
Yay, as was announced last week or so they came out with the 4800 ATI series, cheers for XFX, there's another company selling and probably helping ATI this way ;)
ecstatic.gif

eeek.gif
 
So your saying Asus, Sapphire, MSI, and visiontek are bad? Visiontek has lifetime warranty for all their cards, and all you need is a receipt.
No registration required.

The only one out of those that is decently-regarded is Asus for their warranty service.
 
So...where have they appeared? There's even a news article on the [H] front page, but they still aren't for sale anywhere that I can see..

Someone did mention to wait until Wednesday for them to officially appear at Newegg/Ncix sites.
 
Bah - the best single-slot card they have is the crappy 4650! Not even the 4670. :mad:

Useless for SFF system users!
 
So your saying Asus, Sapphire, MSI, and visiontek are bad? Visiontek has lifetime warranty for all their cards, and all you need is a receipt.
No registration required.

do any of them offer lifetime warrenty, support for after market coolers and overclocking? No i didn't think so lol.

the fact that non of the ATI partners supported watercooling and overclocking has been the reason I don't buy ATI, I have always gone nvidia because I can watercool my cards and not worry about ruining my warrenty.

Now that xfx is doing ATI as well I can consider buying ATI again.
 
do any of them offer lifetime warrenty, support for after market coolers and overclocking? No i didn't think so lol.

the fact that non of the ATI partners supported watercooling and overclocking has been the reason I don't buy ATI, I have always gone nvidia because I can watercool my cards and not worry about ruining my warrenty.

Now that xfx is doing ATI as well I can consider buying ATI again.

Visiontek has a lifetime warranty. And support for aftermarket coolers and overclocking?
Man I hope your joking. There is no verifiable way that they are going to know if you
overclocked / put an aftermarket cooler on your card regardless.

A lot of people highly regard sapphire, gigabyte, msi, asus, and visiontek. These
companies have been around for quite some time...I would say out of those companies
sapphire probably profits most from selling ati cards, as they have a good reputation
among customers.
 
@DWade - I'm guessing you didn't read that thread about Sapphire's customer support. It's pretty bad. Also, some of us would like to make sure we're covered and we don't want to lie about something if/when it dies.
 
Visiontek has a lifetime warranty. And support for aftermarket coolers and overclocking?
Man I hope your joking. There is no verifiable way that they are going to know if you
overclocked / put an aftermarket cooler on your card regardless.
If you take off the factory cooler, it's pretty noticeable to the company. The thermal pads and thermal grease won't be old and weathered with dust in & around it. If you put it back together, chances are it also won't be the same stuff they use either. It's always funny when people send something back with brand new thermal pads on a year or two old card, and there's no signs of dust or heat stress on them. :p It's also very easy to tell if you just re-use the old stuff and screw it all back together. They might also be able to tell overclocking or temperatures if the card records maximum temps/frequencies in a eeprom chip you can't access.
 
Visiontek has a lifetime warranty. And support for aftermarket coolers and overclocking?
Man I hope your joking. There is no verifiable way that they are going to know if you
overclocked / put an aftermarket cooler on your card regardless.
Yup. That's why I chose VisionTek over all the other brands several months ago. Would rather have a durable and rock solid warranty in-case I screw up my card or the card screws itself. ;D

Sent in my first HD4850 after I somehow effed the card up in an attempt to install an aftermarket cooler (which failed because I was missing some pieces that the original package didn't come with =[ ). The card had no scratch, break, crack, etc, anything -- in fact, the card was virtually physically unharmed (although it's POSSIBLE there might have been such a small fracture to the card SOMEHOW that is invisible to teh naykid eye that could cause the entire card to lock up and simply not function). I got a replacement anyway.

Anyway, sent in my 2nd HD4850 card (wasn't my fault this time) for the 2nd RMA. =)

If you take off the factory cooler, it's pretty noticeable to the company.
Or not, at least if you cover your tracks up right. It was very easy for me -- and I completely took my card apart and replaced some of the screws on the clip and was still given a replacement...even after a month of diagnosing (that's about how long it took for them -- and they were never able to find out even then why the card wasn't really working). ;)

And if you ask me, I have no idea why my first HD4850 didn't work either...after I had put it back together. Seriously. D: I don't recall doing anything to it that would harm it or expose it to something dangerous to its life/health.
 
Well, some of us would rather not lie about that. I mean that's pretty fucked up to force the company to pay for YOUR mess up.
 
From my understanding, most companies will just pop your RMA'd card into a test machine after just doing a brief eyeballing of the card up close to see if it works or not, or presents artifacts as described by you, and simply grabs another card off the shelf to send back.

I would not even doubt that thorough testing and examination would be skipped for the sake of saving the cost of having experienced/trained employees determine whether it was the customer's fault or card/manufacturer's fault.

In fact, I wonder if "they" (any video card company in general in the NVIDIA/ATI market) would even replace a perfectly okay card for a made up excuse. O_O
 
Why I didn't fall for the lifetime warranty or the after market cooler warranty BS:
I won't pay the extra money to cover the RMA cost from others who screwed up their cards. I'm sure that 1-2 years of warranty is enough for me because I won't be using the same card longer than that.
 
If they could, they would...

There are numerous ways to do it, but they all hurt the company's bottom line to implement on a niche product type. Slapping an AFR module onto the pre-SLI/CF era driver to enable SLI/CF and updating it every month is cheaper than hiring a good team of programmers capable of writing new+good code.
 
i really like the 4830/4850 XFX is offering right now
they look real nice but the next thing that i m concern is the pricing lol
 
I've had first hand experience with Sapphire RMAs and they aren't so terrible. I had to send my first HD 4870 back for it randomly dieing on me, and they just sent me a new one. This one later artifacted on me (got worse and worse) so I sent it back. They later called me and asked me what was wrong with it because the technician said he put it in the machine and ran it the entire weekend without any problems. All they apparently do is slap it in a machine, and then run some of their benchmarks on it.

Although he had no errors he still sent me a new one and this one DOESN'T artifact on me at all, so I will say their testing is lacking but their overall care isn't too bad as I now have a card that doesn't artifact on me.

Whether extensive testing for you matters or not I don't know. I can see where this helps but as you imagine it would take a large amount of time to have "true" testing.

I am happy just to have a working HD 4870, even when they said the last one was fine (it wasn't -_-, but their test showed them nothing).
 
I see that both the 4870's up there are both the XXX editions but no XXX 4850... Any rumors on that? *praying for a 1gb version*
 
Anybody know if the XFX 4850 is shorter in length than a regular 4850? I would like to put two in my Silverstone LC13b-e case without removing a HD case (so i can keep 2 intake fans)

Also, I'm new to the more recent ATI cards... are the fan speeds on all cards controllable through catalyst?
 
Back
Top