XFX 9300 HDMI mATX HTPC no sound.

Okay, so new board, new install of Win7 and Vista 64. I have all the devices installed in DM. I have used the drivers directly from the nVidia site for both install. I have the option in sound and it is selected for HDMI out. I can see the volume bar moving, but no sound on anything.

Are you supposed to jumper the SPDIF header to somewhere? This is onboard HDMI audio.

What are you trying to get sound out of? What is your HDMI cable connected to?

I have a Sony Bravia 52" that I had the XFX connected to HDMI 2 and then I tried my Sony 820 receiver HDMI into the SAT and the DVD ports.

What does your sound manager in vista/7 look like? You should have the HDMI output selected as your default sound in the "playback devices" tab. If you get the VU meter thing moving when you're playing audio and it is connected up to your receiver properly and it still doesn't work, then you probably have a handshaking issue or something with the receiver/tv. Make sure the receiver or TV is set to have HDMI audio turned on and set to the right input.

I made sure that this was not the case with the receiver. I moved HDMI's on the tv and I moved HDMI's on the receiver to test it. All gave no sound. I have a 360 and a BD player that I switched ports on and it was the same also. Also, it "uninstalled" the HDMI selection in the sound manager when I installed the nVidia HDMI driver. I only saw the bar move when the MS driver was installed. But this will only give the option for stereo, if it even worked. :(

Is HDMI audio enabled in the BIOS? Do you have it set for 5.1 or 7.1 within your sound configuration? If all the settings are correct and the driver is installed correctly, I'd blame your Sony equipment because I've seen more than a handful of people with the same problem. They have EDID and handshake problems as a nice built in feature on 9 out of 10 of their models.

In the bios I have the (internal+external) selection. This means internal nvidia HD driver and the external Realtek HD audio driver enabled. I tried all four selections of on/off for them. In sound configuration, I never get 5.1 or 7.1 choices, just the stereo 2.0.

On my Sony eq, I disabled the HDMI controls so the TV doesn't control the receiver and vica versa. I am not ruling out the EDID thing. (I only read a small article on that and don't know much), but I would go after that more if I knew the stereo was even touching my TV's HDMI at all.

yes.. it works great on my nvidia 8200 based board. I setup a nvidia 9300 based intel HTPC setup for a guy a few weeks ago and that worked great as well.

Can't get the HDMI audio device in the Sound properties tab - only the Realtek is available
in Device Manager under audio devices there is Nvidia HD audio listed.

Going to try with Vista 64 when I get back from work and see if I get any progress.

Contacted the xfx support about the issue - they advised me to remove the driver and reinstall it - it didn't work. So I wrote again and waiting for their reply.

I tried to play the 1080p .mkv file using the onboard DXVA (with media player classic home theater edition found in the latest K-Lite codec pack) and not pleased at all. Probably the 720p works ok but I switched back to core avc for h.264.

p.s. I tried to flash the bios - current revision is 1.0B27 - downloaded the file from the xfx support section, they say it's 1.0R version, but everything is the same - showing same old 1.0B27 version. Is it possible that they have it linked to the wrong file? :D

Please let me know if anyone manages to get the /&/(&#" working.

I'll update you tomorrow with my Vista64 progress.

Sorry I am not help with the HDMI sound, but I did update my BIOS last week or so. I'll check the version number when I get back home from work to cross reference with you.

You have to make sure the BIOS Azalea sound is turned to Internal which is the HDMI sound. The external is the Realtek hardware. You can have either on, both on, or individually. I have only the internal on and the nVidia HDMI sound shows in control panel, but says not connected when the HDMI driver is installed.

What TV's do you all have?

I am using a 52" Sony Bravia.

Can't get the HDMI audio device in the Sound properties tab - only the Realtek is available

Going to try with Vista 64 when I get back from work and see if I get any progress.

Contacted the xfx support about the issue - they advised me to remove the driver and reinstall it - it didn't work. So I wrote again and waiting for their reply.

I tried to play the 1080p .mkv file using the onboard DXVA (with media player classic home theater edition found in the latest K-Lite codec pack) and not pleased at all. Probably the 720p works ok but I switched back to core avc for h.264.

p.s. I tried to flash the bios - current revision is 1.0B27 - downloaded the file from the xfx support section, they say it's 1.0R version, but everything is the same - showing same old 1.0B27 version. Is it possible that they have it linked to the wrong file? :D

For XP HDMI there is a M$ hotfix you have to apply before you install the driver. I found it on youtube from an EVGA HDMI install video. It gives you the link during the video.

I was surprised that EVGA had a video on there, mighty nice and proactive about it. Impressed.

I have posted on nVidia forums and thegreenbutton forums with no luck. I have an open ticket with XFX and when I called ( I got an american tech ) he said this had to be escalated to a mobo tech for research. I am waiting for a call back from him/her. Soon...? lol

installed vista64 and at least now it finds the nvidia hdmi audio device and with generic microsoft vista drivers it shows as if it's connected and passing the sound through (on the audio mixer it shows the signal jumping up and down - allthough guess what - there's no sound :)

installed nvidia hdmi audio drivers and now it shows it's disconnected.

frustrating

I read on the avs forums that maybe it's a problem with the edid data comming from our receiving devices - but those guys could at least get the stereo sound through and they used Gigabye mobo with nvidia 9400 chipset. (their problem was getting the 7.1 audio through hdmi)

I'm using Philips 32"PFL9632d lcd

That is exactly what w1retap was suggesting. I had the same results as you with the default MS driver in Vista and 7.

I could not get stereo either.

I still think it is not passing FROM the HDMI. When I hook the HDMI up to my receiver, I show no L and R for the stereo speakers connected, but If i connect up my 360 or the BD player, I show them immediately, like a stream is present.

I hope this comes through...

Untitled-1.jpg

For XP HDMI there is a M$ hotfix you have to apply before you install the driver. I found it on youtube from an EVGA HDMI install video. It gives you the link during the video.

I was surprised that EVGA had a video on there, mighty nice and proactive about it. Impressed.

I went there - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=901105 - and it's only for the Windows Server 2003 SP1 and Windows XP x64 edition

So I had to RMA the XFX board because I and the XFX tech support could not figure this out. I installed XP 32 bit and believe I got the same results as the other guy in this thread. XP would not recognize any audio devices connected.

Maybe w1retap can tell us this. If it is a bad EDID handshake. Doesn't the EDID spec only really tell the PC what kind of tv is connected to a video card. It gives video information, not audio?

I am still unfamiliar with it, except of course from the wikipedia page info.

I have a feeling the next board will do the same. If this is the case, I will try the Asus G45 chipset with HDMI and let you all know.

I think it should work with another MBO but I know that Gigabyte version doesn't support dual display setup.....and even when you get the sound on your tv, the question remains whether you're be able to get 5.1 or 7.1 audio - I think you have to go first through AV reciver for that.
I have audio through hdmi on my main pc courtesy of ati 3870 - conneced to my lcd but it only recognizes it as stereo device as it is - don't have AV reciver to check all connecting possibilities.

Maybe the simplest solution for settling this problem would be getting one ati 4350 graphic card - passive heatsink, only 25W power consumption under full load - or just connecting it the "analog" way. - that works :)

I am not sure of a TV that will pass TrueHD (7.1) to a receiver. Most should pass DD (5.1) to it though. I am going to have to try both since I did order that G45 board. Hopefully it is an incompatiblity with Sony and the mobo.

Then it must be incopatibility with mobo and my Philips lcd, which leads me to conclusion that's it's just mobo, precisely XFX's problem.

This is copy-paste from the XFX support reply I just got:

"[JAMES 2/27/2009 9:57:32 AM] Hi, thanks for your message, unfortunately it would appear that the item is faulty and we do recommend you to contact your supplier for information on the returns procedure. But if you have any difficulties with this, please let us know. Thanks. James"

I'll be honest, I am not faulting XFX here. I think it is your (our) 9300 chipset) Unless there is a problem with the HDMI port, it has to be in the chipset. One of the techs told me that the XFX bios upgrade fixed the 8200 chipset HDMI problems only. Not the 9300's at all.

I could be wrong though.

make sure using the latest haali splitter, and have disabled mpc's internal matroska filter.
i imagine dxva should work fine.make sure evr custom presenter is the renderer. dont use any shader effects, and do the 0-255 dynamic range in the nvidia control panel.
and make sure the video is using dxva by right clicking on mpc >filters>mpc video decoder and should say bitsream decoding

I ended up trying the Asus' board and it works. Not perfect, but it works. Every OTHER reboot, I lose HDMI audio. However, when streaming my DVD library from another PC, all my movies have the appropriate decoder. DD, works and sounds great. I am not so enthusiastic about the graphics. It will stutter through the MC graphics.

make sure using the latest haali splitter, and have disabled mpc's internal matroska filter.
i imagine dxva should work fine.make sure evr custom presenter is the renderer. dont use any shader effects, and do the 0-255 dynamic range in the nvidia control panel.
and make sure the video is using dxva by right clicking on mpc >filters>mpc video decoder and should say bitsream decoding

You can get DXVA to work with MPC-HC's internal splitter, this also makes things easier for m2ts files. Also, if you want to get TrueHD with FDDShow to work, you need to use the internal filter. Overall the internal splitter is better. There really isn't any advantages with using Haali's splitter.

I'll be honest, I am not faulting XFX here. I think it is your (our) 9300 chipset) Unless there is a problem with the HDMI port, it has to be in the chipset. One of the techs told me that the XFX bios upgrade fixed the 8200 chipset HDMI problems only. Not the 9300's at all.

I could be wrong though.

What receiver do you own? Is it an Onkyo?

No. It's probably a flaw in the receiver HDMI switcher ROM. You can read up on it at AVSforum. It seems to be a pretty big problem with Sony, Yamaha, JVC, some H&K,... receivers.

What is interesting about the Asus is that it has the sound problem on my receiver, not my tv set. I can reboot the HTPC and turn the tv on/off all day long, and it appears to be ok. Phooey

After reading many complaints, and before I buy this XFX GeForce 9300 mobo, I would like to know:

Does it support audio over HDMI?

Last edited:
I've had the same issue since last year. Nvidia just flat out ignored me after a few months! I have sent in my XFX 9300 and supposedly the chip was replaced (same ser #). I do actually see HDMI in the sound tab as before it would say not connected but still no audio. When testing with Cyberlink it says digital withour HDCP. Blu-Ray won't work withour Anydvd bypass but still no audio. I still have an open ticket with XFX but for the ones blaming them google no HDMI audio and you will see all the brands have the same issue. I was going to work around this by connecting to computer speakers but I can only get audio through the front headphones when using HDMI.

Back