xfx 790i - worth buying still

TeleFragger

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok so I built the rig in my sig from yalls help a year ago..

i havent kept up with hardware and my machine still runs great..

however a guy at work has a brand new in box xfx 790i (i have 780i)

he wants $150 for it and 2 x 1gb ddr3 memory.. forget the memory but remember it had a fan in the package...

is this a good deal, should i do it?

worth the upgrade? id have to buy 8gb ddr3 memory though.... like having 8gb....

how bout for my bro in law...

he has the ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi.....

worth for him to upgrade?

how bout for my bro in law...

he has the ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi.....

worth for him to upgrade?

Nope, not at all. Hell that $150 790i + DDR3 RAM combo isn't even worth it for a new setup, let alone an upgrade of any sorts. In fact, I'd say that the Asus P5E3 mobo is a much better quality mobo than the 790i.

Nvidia are not coming out with much good atm or for awile.

Nope, not at all. Hell that $150 790i + DDR3 RAM combo isn't even worth it for a new setup, let alone an upgrade of any sorts. In fact, I'd say that the Asus P5E3 mobo is a much better quality mobo than the 790i.

Without a doubt. I don't want to get started on the whole "NVIDIA chipset" subject. I'll just say that the XFX 790i Ultra is an NVIDIA reference design. That's not a good thing. The P5E3 Deluxe is a damn good board.

I'd go with that but honestly I wouldn't spend that much cash to upgrade an existing Core 2 setup. I'd save the cash for the jump to Core i7. Maybe even not jumping on the Core i7 bandwagon now, but on the refresh/new Core i7 product cycle.

Nvidia are not coming out with much good atm or for awile.

Well the next high end GPU parts may end up being the ones to beat. I don't know. I do know that NVIDIA won't be doing any Core i7 chipsets and there would be no reason to buy them as it stands given that the X58 chipset is SLI compatible. So in a way you are correct.

Back