• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

XFX 6850 Hyper Transport Issue?

Thermite Paste

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 17, 2003
Messages
5,650
I decided to take the plunge on a 6850, and after installing it in my rig and loading the latest catalyst drivers it would constantly crash and reboot, giving me the error "A Hyper Transport sync flood error occurred on last boot." in the bios, prompting me to continue.

Now, I figured it might be an issue with my nvidia drivers left over from the last card I had (9800GT), so I formatted my computer to start from scratch. I got the drivers installed successfully, however now my system crashes and does the same thing when I try to enable Aero.

Does anyone have any ideas? Could it be a faulty card? My system configuration is as follows:

Antec NeoPower 480
MSI 785GM-P45 Motherboard
AMD Athlon X4 630 CPU
XFX 6850 Video Card

I thought it might be power issues, however the 9800GT worked fine in this configuration and the 6850 only draws a slight amount more. I also applied the BIOS update from XFX, which made the fan quieter but did nothing to solve the issue.
 
Did you update the motherboard bios? I had this problem with an amd based msi board when I switched to the latest bios.
 
Well, I downgraded to the previous version, and still have the same issue. I tried the 10.10d beta drivers as well, with no progress.

I think I'm just gonna return it to Amazon... this is the second thing I've gotten from them that's DOA this week. :(
 
I'm guessing it's a power problem. I'd try a more powerful PSU.
 
I'm guessing it's a power problem. I'd try a more powerful PSU.
The problem with that theory is that a 9800gt ran (and still runs) with no issues, and the differences in power consumption under load between them are literally only a few watts. At the very least, it should be able to power the card enough to enable aero, which it clearly isn't doing. Unless there's some other power requirement that I'm missing, I'm really leaning towards it being a faulty card at this point... I've tried everything else I can think of.

Also, I don't have a more powerful PSU on hand to test with. :p
 
The problem with that theory is that a 9800gt ran (and still runs) with no issues, and the differences in power consumption under load between them are literally only a few watts. At the very least, it should be able to power the card enough to enable aero, which it clearly isn't doing. Unless there's some other power requirement that I'm missing, I'm really leaning towards it being a faulty card at this point... I've tried everything else I can think of.

Also, I don't have a more powerful PSU on hand to test with. :p


Well it if were just a slight higher load on your PSU it could be beyond the stable limit of your system.
 
Well, I went ahead and ordered a Corsair 650w PSU... I'm still not convinced that it will solve the problem, but it should get here at the same time as my replacement 6850 so I'll keep you guys updated.
 
You do not have another way to test the card? Perhaps a friend's system?
 
You do not have another way to test the card? Perhaps a friend's system?
I just tried it in a friend's computer, it only has a 450w PSU but it still manages to power a 4860 somehow :p

Anyway, it worked right up until I installed the drivers, and then proceeded to crash immediately in the exact same way it did for me. I know this still doesn't rule out a power issue, but I find it odd for it to crash in the same exact method on two different machines.

Either way, hopefully the replacement card works, and I needed a PSU upgrade anyway. :)
 
Well, I got the replacement card today, and it worked flawlessly in my current setup. I have no idea what was wrong with the original, but it's going back to Amazon anyway. :)
 
Back
Top