• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Xeon for main machine...worth it?

CHAoS_NiNJA

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 26, 2005
Messages
1,578
I'm in a pretty big need to replace my CPU. After RAM, thats the next thing getting an upgrade. I was looking over Newegg for LGA775 CPUs and noticed that Xeons are only a little bit more then their C2D brothers. So I wonder: is it worth getting an Xeon in my machine, and most importantly how how would my Mobo and the G33 chipset play with it? This board is supposed to be a good OCer (although the RAM limits me right now, shitsux, srsly) and it makes me ponder how far I could push a Xeon.

Anyone using this server proc in their main box? If so, for what reason? Just the different sticker to put on your case? :p

EDIT: For the record, these are the CPUs I was looking at, A E6550 or a Xeon 3065
 
yeah just looking at the two specs it looks like the C2D can handle a bit more voltages (not that anyone would actually go that high so that is an irrelevant point) and maybe that the Xeon doesn't come with a HSF???

Is the Xeon binned from better silicon to have more reliability?
 
After pretty much going through hell as a result of decided to get (on more or less a whim) an X3220 instead of a Q6600 (both 2.4Ghz 1066Mhz FSB rated quads with 9x multis, same cache sizes, etc...) just trying to find a board that'll play nice with the thing I now /fully/ support what most of the [H] staff already repeat on a regular basis:

Desktop CPUs for Desktop boards.
Server CPUs for Server boards.
Do not mix them.

It may work perfectly... it may be torture. They are not the same, as the Xeon identifies itself to the machine differently (uses different microcode). Given Xeons are pretty much never officially supported on desktop boards, I cannot recommend you play the game I have been for a few weeks now.
 
After pretty much going through hell as a result of decided to get (on more or less a whim) an X3220 instead of a Q6600 (both 2.4Ghz 1066Mhz FSB rated quads with 9x multis, same cache sizes, etc...) just trying to find a board that'll play nice with the thing I now /fully/ support what most of the [H] staff already repeat on a regular basis:

Desktop CPUs for Desktop boards.
Server CPUs for Server boards.
Do not mix them.

It may work perfectly... it may be torture. They are not the same, as the Xeon identifies itself to the machine differently (uses different microcode). Given Xeons are pretty much never officially supported on desktop boards, I cannot recommend you play the game I have been for a few weeks now.

QFT. Not worth the trouble IMO.
 
Back
Top