Xeon Build Help

Lurk

n00b
Joined
Mar 12, 2005
Messages
39
This is my first Xeon build and I wanted some opinions and recommendations. I do want to keep it around this price range. I also wanted to know if this was a viable for a RAID 5 setup. I just need a good computer that will last a while and have great and safe data storage.

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

Motherboard: ASRock P67 EXTREME4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157229

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 Sandy Bridge 3.2GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115083

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231402

HDD: Western Digital RE4 WD5003ABYX 500GB 7200 RPM (x3)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136697

Thanks for all the help and input.
 
You want ECC RAM a server board that supports ECC RAM. Not their desktop counterparts. You might as well use a non xeon setup for data storage however.
 
You want ECC RAM a server board that supports ECC RAM. Not their desktop counterparts. You might as well use a non xeon setup for data storage however.

And the current E3-series Xeons support only unbuffered RAM, with or without ECC. Registered or fully-buffered RAM will not work at all on this platform.
 
Thanks, I switched out the motherboard and ram for:

Mobo: ASUS P8B-X LGA 1155 Intel C202 ATX Intel Xeon E3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131722

RAM: ingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139262

It's a learning experience for me, so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question: Would this work on a regular mid tower case? Such as the Corsair 650D
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139006
 
I also wanted to know if this was a viable for a RAID 5 setup.
What kind of RAID 5 are we talking about here? Software RAID, fake-RAID or true hardware RAID? What OS?
I just need a good computer that will last a while and have great and safe data storage.
If you want safe data storage, then you should have a backup of the more important data on a different medium like a NAS, file server, external hard drive, could storage, etc. RAID by itself doesn't guarantee safe data storage. It just guarantees data uptime.

Go for the better quality and updated version:
$90 - Corsair 650TX V2 650W PSU

It's a learning experience for me, so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question: Would this work on a regular mid tower case? Such as the Corsair 650D
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139006
It should
 
Back
Top