Xe Graphics on deskop CPU?

longblock454

2[H]4U
I'm a linux guy that doesn't game but do play around with exploration utilities like Universal Sandbox, so a bit of graphics performance is required. I'd just buy an Xe NUC but thermals on NUCs really suck bad so I'd like to go mITX. Please correct me if i'm wrong but I don't see a desktop socketed Xe CPU that's available? I'd also prefer not to go dedicated GPU as I do lots of kernel experimentation which makes that a PITA.

I'm a linux guy that doesn't game but do play around with exploration utilities like Universal Sandbox, so a bit of graphics performance is required. I'd just buy an Xe NUC but thermals on NUCs really suck bad so I'd like to go mITX. Please correct me if i'm wrong but I don't see a desktop socketed Xe CPU that's available? I'd also prefer not to go dedicated GPU as I do lots of kernel experimentation which makes that a PITA.
Intel's 11 series desktop CPUs have XE graphics (aka UHD 750).

However, the desktop version is 14nm. They didn't have enough space on the die, to include as many shader cores, as the laptop version of XE. Its still a decent improvement over their previous iGPU. But relatively speaking...it still isn't very effective for 3D games.

I would look at AMD's new 5000 series APUs. 5600g and 5800g. They are supposed to go on sale in August, I think.

Thanks, I suspect the AMD APUs would require specific AMD binaries so I'd be in the same boat as a discrete card?

Maybe a modded NUC for better cooling...

AMD APUs should be supported under the open source 'amdgpu' driver.

Looks like the AMD open source driver is drastically better than the Nvidia one, and since the 5800G is still Vega that shouldn't change much most likely.

Not sure i can hold out till August though.

If you’re willing to pay a premium, OEM pulls can be purchased on eBay and other places for about $100 over MSRP

Back