Xcopy / Drive copying

VoloxitySF

Gawd
Hey [H]!

I just received my new WD Cavair Black today, a great improvement over one of my primitive samsung sata drives. I want to copy everything EXACTLY from my old drive to this new one, I guess using xcopy ( or any BETTER suggestions?) I don't want any files/data left behind. I just don't remember what switches to use exactly.

I do remember there is handful of switches needed to copy EXACT contents without being changed.

I have the old drive with two partitions C: and D: (C is Windows and D is Applications/Files) I'd like to copy them both the the new drive exactly the way they are, and then create a 3rd partition for the rest of the free space.

I've heard bad things about acronis, but if they were untrue enlighten me :)

Thanks everyone! Hope to get a good juicy response :cool:

edit: Oh, Using Win7 64 bit Professional BTW

EASEUS Disk Copy was painless for copying my HDD's partitions to my new SSD. The only issue you may have is that the partition(s) will be copied at exactly the same size, so you may need to enlarge them with something like Parted Magic when you're done copying, or just make additional partitions in the free space.

Thanks :) InvisiBill, I ended up using EASEUS last night and let it run while I slept. Haven't tried to boot yet but after classes I will. Also downloading Parted Magic to set the partitions. Thanks for your help. This thread should stay alive for the purpose of XCOPY information.

EASEUS Disk Copy was painless for copying my HDD's partitions to my new SSD. The only issue you may have is that the partition(s) will be copied at exactly the same size, so you may need to enlarge them with something like Parted Magic when you're done copying, or just make additional partitions in the free space.

I just used this to make a clone of a friend's drive so I could set up a file-based external backup for him, and it worked like a charm on his Dell XPS with built-in recovery partition.

Like you said, the only issue is that if you clone to a bigger drive you'll have to enlarge the partition(s) or just create a separate one in the unallocated space, but that's really no big deal.

Clonezilla works for me. Free and opensource. you can save your image to a network source aswell.

Back