XCOM: Chimera Squad

:ROFLMAO:

1586961600679.png

I'd rather pay $60 for a complete game, than flush $10 down the toilet for an iffy game.

I have invested over 1000 hours into XCOM2, but this seems to completely miss the mark on why XCOM2 was so good. They literally thrown out the good bits and kept the bad bits, and added cell shaded graphics on top. #notinterested

Looks like they took a Cel shaded approach to the graphics which seems to work they should of just used Masamune Shirrow characters.

The snake character seems to be popular I hope you can customize his color.

Last edited:
Seems more like a mobile game that has been ported to PC.

Seems more like a mobile game that has been ported to PC.

I am playing XCOM 2 at the moment and it doesn't look all that different to be honest.

My biggest concern is whether they have fixed the unacceptable performance and bugginess issues that still plague XCOM 2 to this day. Its not unusual for me to have to use steam's verify file integrity function to fix a corrupt file every third mission or so which causes the game to hang after completion of the mission.

I am playing XCOM 2 at the moment and it doesn't look all that different to be honest.

My biggest concern is whether they have fixed the unacceptable performance and bugginess issues that still plague XCOM 2 to this day. Its not unusual for me to have to use steam's verify file integrity function to fix a corrupt file every third mission or so which causes the game to hang after completion of the mission.

You're talking about XCOM 2 - This thread is for XCOM Chimera which is a new game and seems to be very limited in gameplay.

Yeah it looks like the same. Except they cut what makes xcom2 fun: Base building, upgrades, and squad customization.
This seems like the tactical legacy pack, where you get a fixed squad and fixed equipment and ability upgrades between missions and absolutely zero customization.
And the new features in XCOM Diversity hires are counter to the core of xcom gameplay. If you can place your entire squad on any part of the map, you eliminite the most fun part of missions: The suspense before encountering the first enemy squad. You scout out good positions and reach them through gameplay, not choose them on a platter.

Oh and if that wasn't enough to drive me away completely (it is) they decided to use cell shading for the graphics. Which is something I always hated, not just hated, it is a deal breaker for any game.
I've never had to verify file integrity in xcom2, and on top I run dozens of mods without issue. The only bugs I encountered in the past year or so were non-game breaking, and more hilarious than annoying. Besides file corruption is usually a symptom of hardware issues, and not bugs.

Besides file corruption is usually a symptom of hardware issues, and not bugs.

Not ruling it out, but this is the only game installed where I encounter this issue....and the only reason I learned how to resolve it was because others have also complained about it.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/268500/discussions/0/392184522721123152/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/268500/discussions/0/1474221865188395378/
https://pavonisinteractive.com/phpB...&t=23455&sid=1a956a8bc2b1d426a52d07bd111253e7

Not ruling it out, but this is the only game installed where I encounter this issue....and the only reason I learned how to resolve it was because others have also complained about it.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/268500/discussions/0/392184522721123152/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/268500/discussions/0/1474221865188395378/
https://pavonisinteractive.com/phpB...&t=23455&sid=1a956a8bc2b1d426a52d07bd111253e7
Perhaps you are treating the symptoms and not the cause. I'd definitely try moving the game to another drive, reduce the OC if you're running an OC, and/or your memory timings. Of course not all at once, but one by one to see if any of these solve the file corruption.

Code name Snake Breath old Sewer Shark sega quote. That multiple shot guy gunslinger would come in handy never seen that really in a turn based game. Usually it just one action per move.

Last edited:
Code name Snake Breath old Sewer Shark sega quote. That multiple shot guy gunslinger would come in handy never seen that really in a turn based game. Usually it just one action per move.
XCOM2 already had a gunslinger as a route for sharpshooters. You could get off virtually unlimited shots within one turn in certain situations, or shoot at multiple enemies with one move. Part of what's great about XCOM2, stacking abilities and bonuses, plus widespread promotion routes for squad members, all of which seem to be missing from XCOM: Diversity Squad.

I preordered the game first new game in months from Steam anyway.

Last edited:
Yeah the UI with the actual gameplay looks pretty muddy I guess I'll see when I play it next week.

I reviewed the game if anyone was still on the fence about it, it is supposed to be $10 until 1st of may.

It's a good game only spent 57 minutes with it I never played any of the X-COM games before.
Normal feels really easy but that could change lots of unlocks and stuff at first. I like the overview music sounds like something from Deus EX:

I reviewed the game if anyone was still on the fence about it, it is supposed to be $10 until 1st of may.

I think you might be overreacting a bit here. The game has problems and definitely does not seem to have any real replay value, but I don't think they're "taking away" your franchise. To me, it feels a bit like the Total War Saga games. Something small and cheap to test out different ideas. In a full XCOM game, the breach mechanic could be really interesting. I love the change to turn order as it adds a different layer of strategy to the game (or would in a full XCOM game). Turn order isn't luck based, by the way. The turn order for your squad is based on how you breach. The first person in on the #1 breach spot will always be first in the turn order. Damage values in modern XCOM have ALWAYS been luck based, there has always been a damage range and crit chance. If anything, Chimera Squad feels LESS purely random than the previous titles. It seems like the game leans even more into making the percentages weigh in the player's favor.

100% in agreement with the UI for the game. I've never been overly fond of the UI in either of Firaxis' XCOM titles, but the new bugs on top of the bad UI has been frustrating.

At $10, I can be very forgiving of game's problems and I can still lose hours playing it but, it's sale price is the right price for it. When it's no longer on sale I'm going to hesitate to recommend it to people.

Yeah the UI is like we'll show you a UI to slow you down and irk you if your not familiar with it. The worst UI for me are those Warhammer games.

I think you might be overreacting a bit here. The game has problems and definitely does not seem to have any real replay value, but I don't think they're "taking away" your franchise. To me, it feels a bit like the Total War Saga games. Something small and cheap to test out different ideas.
Yeah, but how do they get proper feedback? Sales numbers are more a testament to XCOM2's success, not the ideas in this.
In a full XCOM game, the breach mechanic could be really interesting.
It could work if it was reduced to a small mechanic that happens when you enter a building within the map, and not the centerpiece of the entire thing.

I love the change to turn order as it adds a different layer of strategy to the game (or would in a full XCOM game).
It restricts your freedom on strategy because you are forced to attack the enemy that you have a chance to kill before its turn. It made encounters dull. Every single one plays out almost exactly the same. Breach, attack the enemy that gets the first turn, repeat until the end. To me this is the antithesis of strategy. There is no time or opportunity or even room to flank or employ any sort of real strategy. Just attack attack attack. Each opportunity you miss for an attack is one more attack the enemy will have before the end of the encounter.

Turn order isn't luck based, by the way. The turn order for your squad is based on how you breach. The first person in on the #1 breach spot will always be first in the turn order.
Yes, what is luck based is whether the unit that gets the first round can attack the enemy unit that is closest in line. You can't strategize for that, it's pure chance.

Damage values in modern XCOM have ALWAYS been luck based, there has always been a damage range and crit chance.
Yes, and did I say otherwise? Combined with the way encounters play out it makes this game even more luck based.
If anything, Chimera Squad feels LESS purely random than the previous titles. It seems like the game leans even more into making the percentages weigh in the player's favor.
I've noticed that, and that makes it even more pronounced that the best strategy is attacking at every opportunity you get, since you have a higher chance of hitting enemies. Doesn't leave much room for strategy and other tactics.
At $10, I can be very forgiving of game's problems and I can still lose hours playing it but, it's sale price is the right price for it. When it's no longer on sale I'm going to hesitate to recommend it to people.
Just becuase the game is cheap I can't be more forgiving about its issues. If a game is good and I want to play it I don't mind paying full price for it. But if it's bad or mediocre a lower price won't make me enjoy it more.

I just played an hour of XCOM2 now, and had more fun than in the entire campaign of chimera.

Yeah, but how do they get proper feedback? Sales numbers are more a testament to XCOM2's success, not the ideas in this.

This is how you test new ideas. Or would you rather they wait until XCOM3?

It could work if it was reduced to a small mechanic that happens when you enter a building within the map, and not the centerpiece of the entire thing.

You can't do it that way, due to how turns are structured. You either have to do every faction per turn (classic XCOM), or interleaved. Both have advantages and downsides; this approach at least solves the overwatch march without having to resort to using timers, and opens up a lot of tactical options you don't get with the old system. I like it personally.

It restricts your freedom on strategy because you are forced to attack the enemy that you have a chance to kill before its turn. It made encounters dull. Every single one plays out almost exactly the same. Breach, attack the enemy that gets the first turn, repeat until the end. To me this is the antithesis of strategy. There is no time or opportunity or even room to flank or employ any sort of real strategy. Just attack attack attack. Each opportunity you miss for an attack is one more attack the enemy will have before the end of the encounter.

At higher levels, you can't always kill that enemy, so you have to adjust your tactics. Move him down the turn order? Move another squadmate up? Try and force him into taking a low percentage shot? That's what the new system gives the ability to do that the old one simply can't.

Yes, what is luck based is whether the unit that gets the first round can attack the enemy unit that is closest in line. You can't strategize for that, it's pure chance.

I consider that a good thing; you have to adjust your tactics based on the situation (turn order).

Yes, and did I say otherwise? Combined with the way encounters play out it makes this game even more luck based.

See above.

I've noticed that, and that makes it even more pronounced that the best strategy is attacking at every opportunity you get, since you have a higher chance of hitting enemies. Doesn't leave much room for strategy and other tactics.

Less of a problem at higher levels, though I'd be interested to see how things would play out in more open environments.

This is how you test new ideas. Or would you rather they wait until XCOM3?
I'm just saying that they might draw the wrong conclusion. If they wanted actual feedback on their ideas they should've handed out surveys to everyone who actually purchased the game. But it seems they are more interested in silencing them. (Steam reviews got mass deleted multiple times and the mods deleted any reviews posted in the steam forums, plus any mentions of how infused the game is with current day politics)
You can't do it that way, due to how turns are structured. You either have to do every faction per turn (classic XCOM), or interleaved. Both have advantages and downsides; this approach at least solves the overwatch march without having to resort to using timers, and opens up a lot of tactical options you don't get with the old system. I like it personally.
What? I was talking about the breach mechanic. That could work within classic xcom if it was just a mechanic to enter buildings within maps. It has nothing to do with interleaved turns which I don't want at all.
I don't know what tactics this opens up, care to give some examples? It literally takes away all tactics and reduces it to a monotonic chore of attacking a clearly determined enemy.

At higher levels, you can't always kill that enemy, so you have to adjust your tactics. Move him down the turn order? Move another squadmate up? Try and force him into taking a low percentage shot? That's what the new system gives the ability to do that the old one simply can't.
That's why I said you have to attack the enemy that you have a chance to kill before it gets its turn, not necessarily the first enemy in the turn order. There is no strategy to it, it is so obvious, it's a robotic procedure that is absolutely boring and requires no thinking whatsoever after you figure out the game in the first hour. You can move up an unit in the turn order once during an encounter, that's not some grand strategy either. It's just applying balm to the problem they created.

I consider that a good thing; you have to adjust your tactics based on the situation (turn order).
Not being able to target the first one in the turn order is just annoying, but doesn't change your strategy.: Kill the first enemy in the turn order that you can.
They even had to change the wound mechanics of the game, since it is tactically impossible to get through encounters without injury.
It's not up to your strategy it's just how the game is designed. The only way you can get flawless encounters is through sheer luck.

See above.
Doesn't change that there is only one valid strategy in the game. I'm not saying that the game is hard, I'm saying it's boring.

Less of a problem at higher levels, though I'd be interested to see how things would play out in more open environments.
It's an even bigger problem at higher levels, because there is absolutely no way to "win" so to say. So the entire encounter is reduced to whose HP lasts longer. The enemies or yours. There is no good defensive strategy in the game. Since the maps are so small and often reinforcements are included. I really don't care for an XCOM game where you monotonically repeat the same strategy and tactic on every freaking map.
There is one open map at the very end of the game, it doesn't work there either. That encounter was even less exciting than the rest, it became dragged out due to the lack of mobility of the units.

With both gears tactics and phoenix point I just don't see the draw to this game.

Phoenix Point in particular is basically XCOM 2.5. It's pretty good, but people have ignored it since it isn't an actual XCOM game.

Back