XCOM 2 announced....PC Exclusive

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Hardware' started by ccjames69, Jun 1, 2015.

1. ob1

ob1 2[H]4U

Go into steam workshop for the game and get the speed up mod, the evac all mod and so forth. I loved the game, but it was too short again. I still play it now and then, patiently waiting for a third...

2. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

The Long War 2 mod is a must-play reinvention of XCOM 2. Lot more information in the article; here is a preview.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/the-long-war-2-mod-is-a-must-play-reinvention-of-xcom-2/

For players that have mastered XCOM 2's story and power arcs, or now find them predictable, Long War 2 is an essential download. The mod forces you to break out of your habits and re-engage with the game again at the most basic level. Even soldiers are valued differently. You can field up to ten in a mission, and you start with a large roster. Consequently, losing agents isn't the body blow it can be in trad XCOM, and you have more room to experiment with ability and weapon combinations across your force.

mlapgw likes this.
  3. M76

M76 [H]ardness Supreme

New DLC just around the corner. But I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm certainly not forking out 40€ for an expansion. So unless it will be available for less trough other channels I'm sitting it out. I want to see how it turns out. Alien overlords was a disaster, Shen's last gift was OK, but very short.

I decided to collect the most annoying things about the game. So here starting from least annoying:

• When scanning times turn into the upper end of the proposed interval (which it does almost always)
    • When timed missions appear right before you could finish scanning something, you just need one second to finish but you have to leave to not forfeit the mission.
    • When you desperately want to build some upgrade or equipment but you miss a fraction from one of the dozen pre-requisite materials, and the black market has everything but that
    • When you're just one square too far from the ideal position
    • When you try to close the distance between your soldier and enemies but the soldier cannot attack from the new position which you never know in advance.
    • When overwatch is not triggered even though the enemy seems to be waltzing back and forth in front of your soldiers
    • When overwatch is triggered in a way that the least powerful enemy with no armour gets hit by all the shredder units
    • When the hit only falls one bar short from taking out an enemy, meaning you have to waste another action on it.
    • When you choose the 90% certain hacking reward, the bar goes almost full, when you choose the 30% certain one, the bar barely starts to move
    • When trying to flank the enemy reveals another, more dangerous group of enemies
    • When multiple (meaning 3-4) overwatch shots miss in succession
    • When multiple high percentage (75+) shots miss in quick succession
    • When the enemy scores a hit on your soldier in full cover from half the map away
    • When the enemy scores a critical hit on your soldier in full cover from half the map away
    • When everything seems to conspire against you, and everything turns to shit, and your soldiers barely can get 20-30% certain shots off at the enemy that of course all miss. And in the next turn the enemy scores multiple hits easy from the same distance.
    • When you already lost two soldiers and two more decide to panic just to make a hopeless situation completely impossible.
    Don't get the wrong idea, I love the game, but at times it can make me livid.

4. polydiol

polydiol [H]ard|Gawd

This will be a day 1 purchase for me

5. deton8

deton8 Limp Gawd

"That's X-Com, baby!"

But yeah, even though by and large I love this game sometimes I have to take a break before I put my fist through the screen.

Armenius likes this.
  6. NoOther

NoOther [H]ardness Supreme

It is funny, most of this is what makes the game so great.

7. atom

atom Gawd

I just don't get the legendary editions of games anymore, it rarely pays out. This one may have been worth it though, and 40 bucks for this expansion? Jeez! Let's hope its as good as Enemy Within!

8. deton8

deton8 Limp Gawd

I would be willing to pay that much for an EW type expansion. That was worth the price of admission for sure.

9. chaikovski2002

chaikovski2002 2[H]4U

Any reviewers out there yet? TotalBiscuit report? Any youtubers playing this yet? I aint forking out $40 until I know what Im getting!

10. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

deton8 likes this.
  11. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

12. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

13. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

If you preordered from Greenmangaming, they had a delay in distributing keys. So they gave everyone that preordered 6 free games via an email. :)

Seelenlos likes this.
  14. deton8

deton8 Limp Gawd

15. NoOther

Angry Joe and TotalBiscuit have both done some videos of the expansion. Also there are a ton of let's plays out there as well as the RockPaperShotgun. I have the expansion, but have not yet had a chance to play it.

16. M76

M76 [H]ardness Supreme

I've just tried the new expansion. It's a weird DLC for sure. Meaning on a conceptual level. It's not a completely new campaign, but it enhances and changes the original campaign. There are multiple new tactical elements, and new facilities to build. New missions, and better missions. Co-op missions (meaning you have friendly AI controlled units) .
    Overall it's a pretty big overhaul of the game, and seems very good. But, here comes the but. It needs a few patches.
    First thing that balance seems to be way off. The first mission the game gave after the tutorial was brutally hard, almost to the level of impossible. I was only able to finish it with extreme luck and lots of save whoring. And it's not even a mission you can fail. If you fail it's game over screen, so you must complete it. But all missions since then were a walk in the park, until the point when the game frooze on me. Yes, it crashed, I had to kill the task to able to quit. That never happened before the DLC.
    So there is that.

It's a must have if you liked the game, but you might wanna hold off until at least a patch comes out.

I hope I don't get any more missions like that first one. It was crazy. 6 turn limit. When it takes at least three turns just to get to the objective even if you don't do anything just use all your actions on moving. And there are multiple enemy groups on the way there. I think 4 groups of 2. And the target you have to kill has huge health (for a first mission) and huge dodge stats. I almost gave up trying, after about five times, when I got extremely lucky and could do it with not a single action to spare.

deton8 and Seelenlos like this.
  17. NoOther

I didn't have any issues with any of the missions, definitely none that were that hard to complete and none that were all or nothing so far. Not even sure what mission that is you are talking about unless it's literally the very first story mission and that one I completed without ever having to load a save and without even getting injured. I have yet to have many issues with any of the Chosen. It might just be the strategy you were using.

As for the other issues. I did have one crash, but so far that has been it and I have played a fair amount of the campaign so far. Other than that I actually do recommend buying it. It adds a substantial amount to the game, including a variety of strategies and options not available in the original. The added mission types are pretty fun and it definitely makes the overall game feel more polished. I will say for the most part it still seems a bit easy, but that has been the norm for the new breed of XCOM. They are trying to get more people to play. But as always increasing the difficult level and doing Ironman, can make it more challenging. Can't wait to see a LW2 mod for it as well.

My one complaint is how much you have to do to get access to the new soldier types (other than the obligatory one of each prototypes).

18. M76

M76 [H]ardness Supreme

The rest of the missions since then are very easy, I've already killed one of the chosen and even that was way too easy. As I've said the pickup point was too far away. The only way to finish it was with having a perfect run through the entire map with a prexisting knowledge that I have to move as far ahead as possible with every turn. On the first try I didn't even know which way to go. It was blind luck if you went exactly in the direction you needed to go on the first attempt.On the second attempt I've spent too many AP on killing the rest of the advent. And the remaining shots went to dodge hits on the general meaning it got away. On the third re-start of the mission I was able to do it, because I got lucky and disposed of the rest of the aliens quickly. I don't consider it strategy or skill that sometimes 50% shots are hits, and other times you keep missing 80-95% shots.

The whole campaign feels easier. Despite having more enemies on average. The new soldier types are quite overpowered, using even one of them makes missions much easier than with regular soldiers.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  19. M76

M76 [H]ardness Supreme

It made me rage quit again. How can an advent officer kill my soldier in full + side cover, from two rooms and two screens away, with two walls between them? Fuck this game. I need to take time off from it.

20. NoOther

Chance, the same way you can kill enemies under the same conditions, especially when you have squadsight.

21. M76

M76 [H]ardness Supreme

BTW about the assassination mission, when I've started a new campaign with the tutorial on, I again got the assassination mission as the first guerilla op. And this time the target was alone, and not on the other end of the map, but only a few moves away, it could easily be taken out even before the timer started. So this is how consistent chance is in the game. I've been thinking about how I would implement an algorith that calculates chances like this, because I'm pretty sure the one in the game doesn't really work as it should. If the game calculate everything as it does hacking chances, then it seems to me the whole thing is a single random number generator. Which is highly inadequate to accurately represent chances and it would explain why the game seems so random and unfair.

22. M76

M76 [H]ardness Supreme

I've discovered a flaw with war of the chosen again. If you fail to get an enginer in the first mission, then you're stuck without the ability to build anything, for months, as there is no HQ to recruit an engineer, guess they haven'T thought of that before. In the regular game, you get plenty of opportunities to recruit an engineer if you miss it the first time, it's only a slight delay. Here you're fucked might as well start a new campaign. I know they call the unpredictability of the campaign a feature, I call it lack of proper balance testing.

And after making contact to a region, now it again shows that it's not contacted, but the resistance contact is still occupied, and no it wasn't taken back by advent. Simply another huge bug. And talking about huge bugs, the "double every rumour reward" resistance ability that you choose at the beginning of each month seem to have absolutely no effect. I've noticed this over multiple campaigns now.

And while we're talking things that are fucked up in the game, here is this chance thing. I just now discovered a feature in the campaign, that I never saw before, how is this a good implementation of chance, that some aspects of the game remain hidden during multiple campaigns?

And to drill it in a little more. 50% is not 50% when it's leveraged against you. You're 50% shot will miss almost always, your 50% hack chance will fail almost always, yet when a reaper's chance of coming out of shadow is at stake, that 50% becomes a hell of a lot more certain.