Xbox’s Phil Spencer: There Will Be More PC-Exclusive Games

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Phil seems to make a lot of claims. Lucky for him, I haven’t been keeping track of what has turned out to be utter FUD, so I can only continue to give him the benefit of the doubt. The Xbox Boss suggests that the PC is going to get titles that won’t even be available for the Xbox—but what kind of business sense would that even make? This is also, by my estimation, the 500th instance of Phil stating that gaming is “critically important” to Microsoft.

“I look at Halo Wars 2, I think it’s a good PC game. But you know, let’s be honest: a genre that started on the PC as RTS, that we on Halo Wars 1 took it over to console, and now with Halo Wars 2 we’re shipping on both platforms. And people see that and they are like ’Is this a console RTS?’ ‘Is this a PC RTS?’ And we are going to say yes. But I’ll say in the long run Windows is incredibly important to Microsoft, and gaming is one of the most vibrant activities that happens on the Windows platform, and the Xbox team now runs gaming for Microsoft. Gaming on PC is something that we are committed to; we’re gonna have more things to talk about. We’re gonna have games only released on the PC. We’re gonna have games only released on console. And PC gaming is critically important to the company.”

Last edited:
the Xbox team now runs gaming for Microsoft
Yaay, HD-DVDs and Kinects for everyone! DX12 is yet to make a practical case for itself, Win10 Game Mode is so half-hearted I don't even know why they announced it, and the Store is somewhere between a joke and a cluster. Windows 10, minus the creepy telemetry, is Microsoft's best OS in terms of stability and speed for most everyone, but it caters to gamers the same way a semi truck caters to a possum crossing a freeway: just hope you don't get run over by the wheels of industry.

The Xbox already lacks exclusive games. This is not helping. Makes me wish I had saved $250 on the Xbox One S or gone with a PS4.

The Xbox already lacks exclusive games. This is not helping. Makes me wish I had saved $250 on the Xbox One S or gone with a PS4.
It is why I think the Xbox itself is on its way out. There been rumors of Microsoft getting out of the console space for a while now. Won't be surprised if there won't be a 4 Xbox not count the scorpio coming out this year.

I'd rather see Xbox and Win10 PC share the same games instead of having exclusives tied to a specific platform.

Does Microsoft even remember how to write games specifically for the PC?

I get the feeling it's going to be an xbox port that is just never officially released for the xbox. (technically still an "exclusive")

I don't care about PC exclusives, what I want is games that take full advantage of the power of the PC, instead of leaving features out just because the xbox or playstation couldn't handle it.

I'd rather see Xbox and Win10 PC share the same games instead of having exclusives tied to a specific platform.

I'd rather Windows share the same games. Not be artificially restricted to 10, or pointless UWP wrappers.

Phil can gobble a fat one. He's only feigning interest in PC because Sony's kicking his ass up and down the block.

Last edited:
Back