XBOX360 Revealed: Implications for R520?

trinibwoy said:
They look good but only GoW looks "next gen" good. ;)

Do you mean 8 months after Aug 2004?

hmm, guess it would be 6 months. Still plenty of time for change.

FanATIc said:
Key word being "believe" and his own word "fathom". Not to mention that thread is from august of 2004, the posts speak for themselves. Nv50 still alive and apparently under TSMC 90nm? :)

While i'll agree he had a much better wealth of knowledge for that time, i certainly would not say hes right or i agree with him. Absolutly nothing was known about the R520 then, not even rumors. The core wasnt even taped out until 8 months later. I'll fight tooth and nail with anyone that the "leaked" specs speak loudly of a new core. I know it really doesnt matter until its launched officially, but hey, i'll do it cause i believe im right and i have yet to see a good argument saying otherwise.

Calling the coin before it lands so to speak.
Of course its what he "believes", he dont know for sure....noone of us know for sure.

Maybe the R520 is a completly new core, maybe it isnt. Like I have said a hundred times before its all just speculations! The point is that if i am to believe anyone I rather pick him than a poster on this forum that I know nothing about.

Edit: Oh and rumors of the R520 has been around for a long time you know, maybe you should read B3D more often ;)

LiquidX said:
Damn I hate when I hear quaility "DVD palyers". There is no such thing IMO. My top of the line Sony died and I replaced it with a $50 Plasonic or some name like that my sister got at Walmart and hell if I could notice a difference and I paid near $180 for the Sony. Sound and the DVD quality wont matter at all to the average consumer or even most audiophiles. What matters is the TV, it that is crap than everything you see and hear on it will be.

Hmm well I'll have to disagree. My TV is a top range digital reference TV that would have cost around $4500 about 5 years ago.

Quality/Good DVD players give a fantastic picture. Crap DVD drives like the Xbox's look bad.

If you start off with bad quality it will look bad whatever it gets pumped to. I agree that most folks dont care and thats fine. But If I could reduce the amount of boxes uder my TV that would be great. It just would be nice if the AV side of the 360 enabled that. Currently the Xbox doesnt.

In theory the DVD playing capabilities of the XBox 360 should be pretty good.
It has tons of raw CPU power, which should make a high-quality software decoder a piece of cake.
And it uses an ATi chip, which usually has quite decent quality mpeg decoding hardware.
Whichever route they choose to go, it should turn out pretty good.

S_Z said:
Of course its what he "believes", he dont know for sure....noone of us know for sure.

Maybe the R520 is a completly new core, maybe it isnt. Like I have said a hundred times before its all just speculations! The point is that if i am to believe anyone I rather pick him than a poster on this forum that I know nothing about.

Edit: Oh and rumors of the R520 has been around for a long time you know, maybe you should read B3D more often ;)

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=264671#264671

trust nobody

FanATIc said:
Exactly and why would we trust you?

That post is over a year old, months older than the one I linked to that is. As far as I know most B3D members still believe that the R520 is based on R300 with maybe some features from the R500 and that the R600 will be based on the R500.

See this relatively new thread: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21341&highlight=r300+r520+r500

But this debate is rather pointless since its all based on different peoples speculations. We wont know for sure until the chip is released.

I don't think it's a big deal, true the xbox 360 rivals most advanced machines that most PC users use, but u guys forgot something. A TV only produces 24fps whereas a PC can perform more frames. If ppl wanna play games at 24fps on their PC then a 9800XT will do the job for most games that r out their, and if u want something more future proof an X800XL or a 6600 GT will do the job just fine if u want to play it at what an HD TV res produces. So what if it had the R520, most games that will be released with the console launch r not going to be better looking than DOOM 3, Half Life 2 or Far Cry because they r not going to use all the resources that the hardware offers. The only reason the xbox 360 is equiped with such hardware is that to make the life of the console last longer. So u wont c anygames that would rival what the PC games r at right now during it's launch.

True the new xbox 360 sounds promising in terms what it offers, other than it being a console machine, but so far it's not tempting me to buy the console yet. The first Xbox, which I think was a failuredue to the lack of games that gamers really wanted to play, was the most powerfull machine among its rivals, the PS2 and the Gamecube, yet it didn't do that well. i guess if ppl decide to buy the console to play games, i suggest they wait and see what games r going to be released first before making a decision.

timeless said:
I don't think it's a big deal, true the xbox 360 rivals most advanced machines that most PC users use, but u guys forgot something. A TV only produces 24fps whereas a PC can perform more frames. If ppl wanna play games at 24fps on their PC then a 9800XT will do the job for most games that r out their, and if u want something more future proof an X800XL or a 6600 GT will do the job just fine if u want to play it at what an HD TV res produces. So what if it had the R520, most games that will be released with the console launch r not going to be better looking than DOOM 3, Half Life 2 or Far Cry because they r not going to use all the resources that the hardware offers. The only reason the xbox 360 is equiped with such hardware is that to make the life of the console last longer. So u wont c anygames that would rival what the PC games r at right now during it's launch.

Really? The previews of games so far leave Doom3 and Half-Life2 in the dust.
http://www.factornews.com/seenews.php?n=13214
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/747/747892/imgs_1.html

TVs aren't capped at 24FPS... lol, nor are NTSC TVs limited to 30 :D

Scali said:
Really? The previews of games so far leave Doom3 and Half-Life2 in the dust.
http://www.factornews.com/seenews.php?n=13214
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/747/747892/imgs_1.html

For world features yes. But when it comes to those models (the fighting game) they look so fake.

That's a major bone I have to pick. IMO Doom 3 looks like shit. I hate the clay rendered look of the game, I cant stand it, humans and monsters for that matter and even the mars city are not made out of things that look like clay!

Half Life 2 looks far more realistic. I think the game is just far more beautiful, fancy effects or not. The humans and monsters have a more rough and human skin feel to them.

Skrying said:
For world features yes. But when it comes to those models (the fighting game) they look so fake.

I think that's done intentionally. The characters seem to have exaggerated features, much like in Japanese Anime stuff.
They may look rather fake, but the detail level is very high. The bodies are not blocky as in Doom3.

S_Z said:
You didnt do a very good search of the B3D forums ;)

Here is one post were DaveBaumann mention that he believes the R520 still being based on the R300.

link: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewt...storder=asc&highlight=r500+r600+r520&start=20

Ahh, I know why I didn't find it. I didn't even come close to looking that far into the past on my search....

And on top of that, the entire post is based on his Mr. Baumann's post from May 4th 2004... Over a full year ago. As a matter of fact I believe he posted that on about the same day The X800 series was "released".

How are we to take that seriously when their are much more recent semi-official rumors to the contrary and his comments are admittedly pure speculation?

I guess this is how the internet works though... Like the time on these very forums that someone posted "32 actual pipes" in reference to the Inquirer report on the supposed specs of the R520... even though the Inquirer said "24 pipes running 1.3 times faster than todays, so 32 pipes by todays standards"..... Now it seems like half the people on these boards would swear that article said "32 actual pipes" unless you forced them to read it again... It only takes one article mis-read, mis-quoted, or overly accepted as the definitive truth, to screw up the whole works.

In my opinion DOOM3 has a bunch of egghead shaped guys with almost no skin textures but awsome Special effects and the World your in (specificly buildings) looks amazing.
In HL2 the Player models look far better and the world only a tad bit worse.
Of course DOOM3 has more polys and HL2 has much better Textures IMO.

{NG}Fidel said:
In my opinion DOOM3 has a bunch of egghead shaped guys with almost no skin textures but awsome Special effects and the World your in (specificly buildings) looks amazing.

I'd say that HL2 has a far more detailed world aswell. In Doom3, everything is metal (or looks like it) and square. In HL2 you have all kinds of materials, that actually look like those materials aswell... and can even be interacted with. It's not as claustrophobic as Doom3 either, there are a lot of wide open spaces. There is also beautiful radiosity lighting, and all kinds of reflections and refractions. And all that stuff just blends into the scene to create a realistic world.

If you think Doom3 has more polys, check out a soda can up close, it has only 6 sides. Doom3 is about as lowpoly as Quake was, it just looks better because of the bumpmapping (turn it off, and shadows too, and be amazed at the ugliness). HL2 may not be super highpoly, but it sure is more detailed than Doom3.

The only thing that's better in Doom3 than in HL2 is the shadows. HL2 uses simple projected shadows... which is a fast solution, and a huge part of the reason why HL2 runs so well, even on slow videocards... but not a very goodlooking one.
I'm looking forward to seeing more of Unreal Engine 3.0. It is much like HL2, only even more advanced, and with proper shadowmapping.

arentol said:
Ahh, I know why I didn't find it. I didn't even come close to looking that far into the past on my search....

And on top of that, the entire post is based on his Mr. Baumann's post from May 4th 2004... Over a full year ago. As a matter of fact I believe he posted that on about the same day The X800 series was "released".

How are we to take that seriously when their are much more recent semi-official rumors to the contrary and his comments are admittedly pure speculation?

I guess this is how the internet works though... Like the time on these very forums that someone posted "32 actual pipes" in reference to the Inquirer report on the supposed specs of the R520... even though the Inquirer said "24 pipes running 1.3 times faster than todays, so 32 pipes by todays standards"..... Now it seems like half the people on these boards would swear that article said "32 actual pipes" unless you forced them to read it again... It only takes one article mis-read, mis-quoted, or overly accepted as the definitive truth, to screw up the whole works.
Read my last post...

{NG}Fidel said:

No skin textures??? Have you looked at most of the characters in Doom3? Seems the developers thought they all needed to be as pockmarked and acne scarred as they must be! :) :)

Doom3...brough to you in association with Clerasil Face Wash.

FanATIc said:
Longhorn WGF1.0 compliant

Uhmmm, what's the big deal here? I was reading somewhere that WGF 1.0 is feature set equivalent with DirectX 9.0c, so if you have a 9.0c card (having SM 3.0) you'll be WGF 1.0 compliant.

WGF 2.0 is a different story but is a out a little ways.

omg, they don't know yet if it is going to be backward compatible, if its not that's the stupidest thing ever. first of all the xbox was a failure compared to the other consoles that were there, so not many people owned an xbox to begin with. Second the PS3 and Nintendo "revolution" will be backward compatible. So basically they lost a big market share there.
WTH r they thinking?
I was thinking of buying one on the released date coz i wanna play like 3 games that were out in the xbox, Halo 1 and 2 and ninja gaiden. If the xbox 360 is not going to be backward compatible i will not buy one. i'd rather save my money for PS3 and keep my self occupied with WoW and CS:Source for the time being.

timeless said:
omg, they don't know yet if it is going to be backward compatible, if its not that's the stupidest thing ever. first of all the xbox was a failure compared to the other consoles that were there, so not many people owned an xbox to begin with. Second the PS3 and Nintendo "revolution" will be backward compatible. So basically they lost a big market share there.
WTH r they thinking?
I was thinking of buying one on the released date coz i wanna play like 3 games that were out in the xbox, Halo 1 and 2 and ninja gaiden. If the xbox 360 is not going to be backward compatible i will not buy one. i'd rather save my money for PS3 and keep my self occupied with WoW and CS:Source for the time being.

Microsoft has said that it will be backwards compatible with the most popular titles.
I guess that means it will have the ability to emulate the original XBox, but they cannot guarantee that all games work. And I suppose it also means that they'll make sure that at least the most popular games will work. I guess Halo 1 and 2 should work fine then, and Ninja Gaiden probably has a good chance aswell.

Scali said:
Microsoft has said that it will be backwards compatible with the most popular titles.

Maybe when they said their "most popular titles" they were just using flowery marketing language to refering to their whole library. Calling the whole library top selling to make themselves sound better. They did say that "6 of the top 10 selling games are xbox titles". Just my 2cents.

When ATi did that overclocking competition in Texas, I believe they wanted to find out how well their cards can score in 3dmark and what people do to their cards more than anything.

They're not that stupid. They didn't fail anything, they're learning more from the general public by actually being around them and finding out what they do.

mohammedtaha said:
When ATi did that overclocking competition in Texas, I believe they wanted to find out how well their cards can score in 3dmark and what people do to their cards more than anything.

They're not that stupid. They didn't fail anything, they're learning more from the general public by actually being around them and finding out what they do.

1000 dollar phase change systems, or dry ice cooling, for the GPU alone do not show anything. Not to mention all scores that came out of that were and still are NDA. You had to sign a contract to participate. Seemed like a purely fun thing to host, little bit of public relations, nothing more.

FanATIc said:
1000 dollar phase change systems, or dry ice cooling, for the GPU alone do not show anything. Not to mention all scores that came out of that were and still are NDA. You had to sign a contract to participate. Seemed like a purely fun thing to host, little bit of public relations, nothing more.

I understand that part. It's fun. But when you find out what people do to their video cards and how well their video cards perform when hardcore overclockers push them to their limits, you know how your new cards should perform to make an impact.

If their older generation of single cards is that close to an SLi setup then doubling up and adding cooling features such as the liquid cooling will not only outperform an SLi setup but also have great capabilities of overclocking which will leave enthusiast HAPPY.

Well from that article, this thread is dead.

From that article I will also not upgrade my video card, I will buy an XBOX360 and save the remaining of my money to buy a gold subscription for the few years the XBOX 360 will last :p

Back