Xbox X Series further specs revealed

Sony could absolutely make a PS3 emulator. Not that it would be easy per se, but they wrote the API and the made the chips, they have intimate knowledge of how it works.

They can also hire really good programmers to work on it. Emulators you see for free suffer from a few things that keep them from being as good as they could be:

1) The programmers don't know everything about the system. They don't have access to the design docs, the original code for the firmware, etc. They have to reverse engineer things.
2) They are doing it as a hobby. It isn't paying the bills. So there's only so much time and resources they can devote to development. Even if they really enjoy it, they gotta eat like the rest of us.
3) They are not always the best at the kind of programming they need to be. They are the people who think this is cool, not necessarily the people who know a lot about how to optimize processor architecture on a low level.

Well, none of these are a problem for a company making its own emulator. They have the code, they have the design docs, heck they probably have the people who designed the thing. So their developers can get all the information they need. Likewise the devs are being paid to work on it full time, and there can be a larger team, and support from other units and such. They can devote lots of time and resources to it as that is literally what they are paid to do. Finally, they can hire people who have the right kind of experience to do a project like this well. Even if those people aren't that interested in emulation, they are interested in a paycheck.

So they can do a much better emulator, should they wish.

It only achieves a 50% playability rate though. I don't know enough about the project to know why that is.
Just the nature of emulator authors reverse engineering the hardware. Either way it works.
Can't compare a emulator done by a small group on their free time to the company that made the console with hundreds of programmers available. Also Sony knows the PS3 hardware better then anyone else.
You're right, which means Sony has no excuse not to have backwards compatibility for the PS3.

I just don't think it would translate into dollars. If someone has a bunch of old ps3 games, they aren't likely to buy an xbox instead of a ps5 due to lack of back compatibility or completely pass on the ps5. If the ps3 games are the only reason they are buying the system, likely that person isn't out there to pay into the psn network nor are they buying new games. Not really a customer worth spending time and money on.
When new consoles come out it's like hitting the reset button for existing consumers. The lack of backwards compatibility would give a reason for consumers to switch teams. Especially when you consider emulators on PC which seem to be compatible with everything. You want backwards compatibility on your console.

I just don't think it would translate into dollars. If someone has a bunch of old ps3 games, they aren't likely to buy an xbox instead of a ps5 due to lack of back compatibility or completely pass on the ps5. If the ps3 games are the only reason they are buying the system, likely that person isn't out there to pay into the psn network nor are they buying new games. Not really a customer worth spending time and money on.

Microsoft really pushed the kinect last time too as the xbox one advantage over ps4
People are asking for BC. No one wanted the kinect. Sure it might not translate directly to dollars but what is another couple million of R&D when they spent hundreds of millions.

Iron Galaxy Studios (Killer Instinct) has officially released a statement that due to the health concerns they won't attend GDC this year.

Iron Galaxy Studios (Killer Instinct) has officially released a statement that due to the health concerns they won't attend GDC this year.
Just not wanting to spend the money is really what it is. Visiting San Francisco isnt a health risk for Coronavirus.

People are asking for BC. No one wanted the kinect. Sure it might not translate directly to dollars but what is another couple million of R&D when they spent hundreds of millions.

But that is kind of my point, people will always want to feature creep the product. And with anything of that nature, at least how it works where I am you need to present this to the executive team for them to authorize our development cost. Usually comes from the marketing team and their research then it goes to my group (engineering) to give an estimate of what it would cost and how long. From there they cost analyze it to decide if it is worth doing or not. If it passes, it goes on our schedule.

No one ever says 'oh we spent a 100mill what is a few more', that statement would remove you from most jobs lol.

Heck, shaving 10cents off the pcba costs is how you can get lots of recognition lol.

I myself would like it, it wouldnt sway my decision one way or the other though. I wonder what would people asking for it be willing to pay for it? If it were a emulator software package on their store, what price would be in the range that people would buy it. I would be willing to pay $40 for BC emulator that was well done and near indistinguishable from using the old console.

Just not wanting to spend the money is really what it is. Visiting San Francisco isnt a health risk for Coronavirus.

Within a month it very well could be. There are already cases in SF. The city already declared a state of emergency in order to be prepared. You act like only one company has pulled out of GDC, the number grows every day. Sony, MS, Epic, Unity, Facebook, Blizzard, EA,KojiPro, and Amazon have all pulled out of the event. The GDC organizers themselves say they're closely watching the situation. Let's not forget that these events attract people from all over the world and are already a breeding ground for illness. You're right, companies don't want to spend money. They don't want to pay to treat sick employees or deal with large numbers of them potentially being sick and missing a lot of work/spreading it throughout the offices. The fear might be a bit overblown (at the moment) but unless there is actual viable treatment and containment it makes sense for companies to worry and rethink their travel plans, especially companies with employees around the world.

It's not SF that is the problem necessarily. It's that people come from all over for shows like this (even internationally) and travel by plane, with people from all over mixed together. It is a real concern.

I wonder what would people asking for it be willing to pay for it? If it were a emulator software package on their store, what price would be in the range that people would buy it. I would be willing to pay $40 for BC emulator that was well done and near indistinguishable from using the old console.
Yeah, I think I would pay about the price of a game, like $40 - $60. But I think it will be a bad look if MS has this feature for free and Sony charges for it.

If the PS5 can do backwards compatibility all the way back to the PS1, I would definitely consider it. I still have all my games from all my Playstations.

If the PS5 can do backwards compatibility all the way back to the PS1, I would definitely consider it. I still have all my games from all my Playstations.

Doubting it, especially for the PS3.

I'm going to assume they can probably do software emulation for PS1 and probably PS2 with up-scaling but PS3 probably won't be doable?

I'm going to assume they can probably do software emulation for PS1 and probably PS2 with up-scaling but PS3 probably won't be doable?
I doubt it also. Not only that, but the PS Now is where a lot of the PS3 games are. Cut into their subscriptions.

There's even a ps3 emulator that runs on ps4. Yeap, on jailbroken ps4's running Linux there is a version of RPCS3, so if hobbyists got that you can bet your ass that Sony can do much better for the ps5.

Will they or won't they? I don't know.

BTW for the guy with the ps1 games, check from time to time the actual state of the media through emulators, some of mine have passed on (if humidity gets anywhere near discs it may kill them very fast)

I backed all my PS1 and PS2 discs onto my NAS.

The Linux PS4, does it still play PS4 games?

They can also hire really good programmers to work on it. Emulators you see for free suffer from a few things that keep them from being as good as they could be:

1) The programmers don't know everything about the system. They don't have access to the design docs, the original code for the firmware, etc. They have to reverse engineer things.
2) They are doing it as a hobby. It isn't paying the bills. So there's only so much time and resources they can devote to development. Even if they really enjoy it, they gotta eat like the rest of us.
3) They are not always the best at the kind of programming they need to be. They are the people who think this is cool, not necessarily the people who know a lot about how to optimize processor architecture on a low level.

Well, none of these are a problem for a company making its own emulator. They have the code, they have the design docs, heck they probably have the people who designed the thing. So their developers can get all the information they need. Likewise the devs are being paid to work on it full time, and there can be a larger team, and support from other units and such. They can devote lots of time and resources to it as that is literally what they are paid to do. Finally, they can hire people who have the right kind of experience to do a project like this well. Even if those people aren't that interested in emulation, they are interested in a paycheck.

So they can do a much better emulator, should they wish.

I disagree. Take CEMU for instance, in most titles it’s better than a WiiU ever could be and better than Nintendo WOULD ever make an emulator.

You can play BotW in 4k at 60fps and a ton of graphical options. Most other titles look far better and run with a more consistent frame rate than they do on the console.

As to the argument that Nintendo could do it better, sure, they have the resources and talent, but they will never do more than just faithfully recreate the original WiiU experience since it doesn’t benefit them in any way.

Back