Xbox Scarlett Will Use Zen 2 and AMD Next-Gen GPU Technology, Targeting 4K/60 FPS

I’m not going to get into some sort of console war but no, not at all. It wasn’t just lower resolution (at the extreme differences), it was performance as well.

You simply can’t objectively state that it wasn’t observed and taken into consideration by customers, especially with the price difference.

If you do not want to get into some sort of console war, then why are you here at all, in this thread? This is not a PS4 thread, we know how much of a fan you are of the PS4 and yet, here you are, not wanting to starting a war, well starting one.

Throwing out facts isn't really trying to start an argument. Fact is, OG XboxOne ran like a chud. I hated using mine because of how poorly the OS ran. It was greatly improved with the later hardware and OS revisions, but a lot of the damage was done in terms of their sales and brand perception. The lower resolution, eh, I don't have an opinion on that due to typically playing the exclusives on it. Even so, doubt I'd notice since I wouldn't be doing side by side testing.

Wow with new consoles dropping every 2-3 years rather than every 8-10...I'll just keep waiting....and waiting....

To be honest why Sony and MS just doesn't team up and just release one machine as a joint venture and be done with it.

PlayBox or XStation?

Wrong in how long was a usual console generation, it was 5 years top, last generation's 8y was an outlier, and current generation just saw a refresh not an entirely new console, come out after around 4 years, so you could trade your original version and get an updated one if you so wished while you kept your current game library.

Much better than how consoles were in the past by a long shot.

Throwing out facts isn't really trying to start an argument. Fact is, OG XboxOne ran like a chud. I hated using mine because of how poorly the OS ran. It was greatly improved with the later hardware and OS revisions, but a lot of the damage was done in terms of their sales and brand perception. The lower resolution, eh, I don't have an opinion on that due to typically playing the exclusives on it. Even so, doubt I'd notice since I wouldn't be doing side by side testing.

Knowing the source of those "facts", I beg to differ. :) But, the fact is, this is not about the PS4 at all, and he is all about the PS4. Even the original Xbox One ran just fine and I wish they would have kept some of the original bits but alas, the multi tasking was just a thing of the past on it, I guess.

Last edited:
Knowing the source of those "facts", I beg to differ. :) But, the fact is, this is now about the PS4 at all, and he is all about the PS4. Even the original Xbox One ran just fine and I wish they would have kept some of the original bits but alas, the multi tasking was just a thing of the past on it, I guess.
....right.

....right.

Thanks for agreeing with me. :D ;) I do miss the voice commands that worked well, the motion controls in the OS itself and the multitasking but oh well, it is not there anymore so it is the way it is.

Wrong in how long was a usual console generation, it was 5 years top, last generation's 8y was an outlier, and current generation just saw a refresh not an entirely new console, come out after around 4 years, so you could trade your original version and get an updated one if you so wished while you kept your current game library.

Much better than how consoles were in the past by a long shot.

No the issue is why would I buy any NEW generation console when I now know that a revised more powerful one will come along in two years time? I'm not wasting £500 on a non-essential device that will be superceeded so quickly.

Before this specs screwup happened I knew I had 5+ years of use out of it before it was obsolete. Sure you'd get a revision/slim model but it would be purely a cost cutting/die reducing excercise with little to no performance increase.

They screwed the pooch. They need to go back to 6+ year turnarounds for each generation and make sure the tech in it is a leap forward. Not a scraping of the bargain parts bin.

They need to go back to 6+ year turnarounds for each generation and make sure the tech in it is a leap forward.

The 'tech' has never been a leap forward, and unless they're willing to build 600W consoles, it never will be. Consoles have always been some halfassed bastardization of current tech.

Thankfully most people are smart enough to know that if you keep waiting you will never buy anything in the tech world, so "screwed the pooch" = hilarious statement, specially since the price quoted was inflated, and there are always plenty of offers to "upgrade" handing over the original consoles as part of the payment if one so wishes.

Keep fuming and not buying them, everyone else will do so at their own rhythm same as ever.

The upgraded consoles are not required and do not obsolete anything. Do you only buy Titan cards? We’re you pissed that the 1080 was superseded by the 1080ti and felt you just had to upgrade? Or did you just continue to enjoy whatever card and setting you happen to game with despite it not being the absolute best.

Consoles are moving fast these days

Smarter to just buy a PC.

Last year my son was hinting around about a console for Christmas. He already has a pretty descent gaming PC. I told him to look at the kids he knows that have PCs and use them and the kids that just play games on console. Which are the smart kids and which ones are the dumb ones. He came home from school the next day and said "You were right. Consoles are for stupid people!"
Oouuhh, such parenting gold. I need to find a way to bottle that.

Last year my son was hinting around about a console for Christmas. He already has a pretty descent gaming PC. I told him to look at the kids he knows that have PCs and use them and the kids that just play games on console. Which are the smart kids and which ones are the dumb ones. He came home from school the next day and said "You were right. Consoles are for stupid people!"
Oouuhh, such parenting gold. I need to find a way to bottle that.

So, you taught your kid how to be a judgemental jerk? Great job. (Assuming I read your post correctly, that is.) So, how do you explain to him when people use both? How about he gets a job and buy this stuff himself instead?

Is streaming games really a working thing at this point? I don't have any experience with it, but I would think that lag, even on fast connections, would be a problem in competitive/fps games.

Is streaming games really a working thing at this point? I don't have any experience with it, but I would think that lag, even on fast connections, would be a problem in competitive/fps games.

Even on a gigabit Ethernet LAN, there is an added latency, and most countries do not have the kind of internet to rival even 100Mbit LAN.

I think as a cheap option, sure: but no way are people going to be happy with the whole lineup being stream-only.

Even on a gigabit Ethernet LAN, there is an added latency, and most countries do not have the kind of internet to rival even 100Mbit LAN.

Yeah, I just don't see it as a viable option in the US. Maybe someday soon.

No the issue is why would I buy any NEW generation console when I now know that a revised more powerful one will come along in two years time? I'm not wasting £500 on a non-essential device that will be superceeded so quickly.

Before this specs screwup happened I knew I had 5+ years of use out of it before it was obsolete. Sure you'd get a revision/slim model but it would be purely a cost cutting/die reducing excercise with little to no performance increase.

They screwed the pooch. They need to go back to 6+ year turnarounds for each generation and make sure the tech in it is a leap forward. Not a scraping of the bargain parts bin.

The PS4 slim which is basically the original PS4 power wise just sold a billion Spider-Man bundle copies on Black Friday ...why? Because it plays that new AAA game perfectly fine despite the PS4 Pro existing. It’s not obsolete.

The Pro and X have always been optional...

Imagine not upgrading your graphics card until 6 years later, I’d still be using the 570 lol fuck that... (or were the 6 series cards out by then? I can’t remember)

Imagine not upgrading your graphics card until 6 years later, I’d still be using the 570 lol fuck that... (or were the 6 series cards out by then? I can’t remember)

I think the 5 series still, I spent 5 years on the 290X I got Fall 2013. Nope just checked (newegg order history goes back pretty far.) Got it November 2014, but still that's a year after release.

Going back 6 years would put me on a 7950 though. Which, still some respectable performance out of that generation even now.

Going back 6 years would put me on a 7950 though. Which, still some respectable performance out of that generation even now.
IIRC, the GPU in the Xbox One is equivalent to a HD 7770 and the PS4’s GPU is equivalent to a HD 7850. Essentially mid-range GPUs from 2012 that are still being used in 2018/2019. Thankfully console optimization can be pretty robust and makes better use of the [lack of] power.

So, you taught your kid how to be a judgmental jerk? Great job. (Assuming I read your post correctly, that is.) So, how do you explain to him when people use both? How about he gets a job and buy this stuff himself instead?

If I have to qualify this then the PC culture runs deeper here than I thought. We are ALL judgmental. It is part of how civilized society operates. You must make judgments about people ever day and use your common sense. Who doesn't do that? Everyone does. If a stranger comes up to you and says "Hey, want to by a watch?" Well, his hair is a rats nest, his clothes are dirty, he smells, and there is alcohol on his breath. Could his merchandise be legit? DON'T JUDGE HIM!! Yeah right. Everyone makes judgement about other people every minute of the day.

Now back to the context of my son asking for a console. I knew why he was interested; it was because so many kids have consoles and say they are the greatest thing in the world and say computers are stupid. How do I know this? Because he told me this at one time. So my challenge to him was to consider the kids that typically say that compared of the kids he gravitates towards, one that use computers daily as a tool, not only for games. He discovered there was a big difference in the two. The computer savvy kids get the better grades, don't cause trouble for the most part and the console kids didn't get good grades and causes most of the trouble in the class room.
Why this divide? It has everything to do with parenting. I'm in my 50s and I'm amazed when I see adults younger than myself that are computer phobic. They don't know anything about them, don't want to know anything about them. Their skills usually don't extend beyond checking email. Their kids are the same way. But something like a tablet or a game console; that is an appliance. That they can handle. Unfortunately they don't understand the skills gap their kids are starting off with. The "computer lab" time the kids have at school is very telling. My son tells me rather than use the school provided laptop for school work many of these kids end up breaking them constantly out of frustration.

If I have to qualify this then the PC culture runs deeper here than I thought. We are ALL judgmental. It is part of how civilized society operates. You must make judgments about people ever day and use your common sense. Who doesn't do that? Everyone does. If a stranger comes up to you and says "Hey, want to by a watch?" Well, his hair is a rats nest, his clothes are dirty, he smells, and there is alcohol on his breath. Could his merchandise be legit? DON'T JUDGE HIM!! Yeah right. Everyone makes judgement about other people every minute of the day.

Now back to the context of my son asking for a console. I knew why he was interested; it was because so many kids have consoles and say they are the greatest thing in the world and say computers are stupid. How do I know this? Because he told me this at one time. So my challenge to him was to consider the kids that typically say that compared of the kids he gravitates towards, one that use computers daily as a tool, not only for games. He discovered there was a big difference in the two. The computer savvy kids get the better grades, don't cause trouble for the most part and the console kids didn't get good grades and causes most of the trouble in the class room.
Why this divide? It has everything to do with parenting. I'm in my 50s and I'm amazed when I see adults younger than myself that are computer phobic. They don't know anything about them, don't want to know anything about them. Their skills usually don't extend beyond checking email. Their kids are the same way. But something like a tablet or a game console; that is an appliance. That they can handle. Unfortunately they don't understand the skills gap their kids are starting off with. The "computer lab" time the kids have at school is very telling. My son tells me rather than use the school provided laptop for school work many of these kids end up breaking them constantly out of frustration.

And yet, there is no either or situation in this situation. How do you explain to him the people that use both? Also, using the word stupid, dumb or idiot in direct reference to a person is just plain wrong and has nothing to do with being PC. If you think that it is the good thing to do, well, nothing I can say will help....... Also, as far as your differentiation between someone who is using a console and someone who knows how to use a PC is disingenuous at best. This group think stuff is just plain.......... :rolleyes: There is a difference between being properly judgemental, I do like the apple but I hate the banana, and looking down your nose at someone because of what they game on.

Anyways, chances are, I will upgrade to this XBox One whatever it will be called and someone will get my hand me down XBox One X, it is a win win for all involved. :)

So, you taught your kid how to be a judgemental jerk? Great job. (Assuming I read your post correctly, that is.) So, how do you explain to him when people use both? How about he gets a job and buy this stuff himself instead?

Exactly. I’m a equal opportunity gamer. I have a ps4 pro, and a very nice high end gaming pc. I use both for different games and different play styles.

You don’t have to be one or the other. Assuming you have the money and the means, you can be both. Works great for me.

And to the whole stupid people are console gamers pc gamers are smart subject... Walmart sells more “gaming” pc’s than any other retailer. These days someone with more money than brains can buy a shit pc that has some led’s and stickers slapped on it. And think they are a pc gamer.

For those of us who still research, and build every pc from the ground up, we know the difference. It has nothing to do with being stupid.

Perhaps the "stupid, trouble-making" console peasants have time to do other things like building go-carts, playing sports, and overall less socially awkward. These traits pay off in the long run as well.

And yet, there is no either or situation in this situation. How do you explain to him the people that use both? Also, using the word stupid, dumb or idiot in direct reference to a person is just plain wrong and has nothing to do with being PC. If you think that it is the good thing to do, well, nothing I can say will help....... Also, as far as your differentiation between someone who is using a console and someone who knows how to use a PC is disingenuous at best. This group think stuff is just plain.......... :rolleyes: There is a difference between being properly judgmental, I do like the apple but I hate the banana, and looking down your nose at someone because of what they game on.

Anyways, chances are, I will upgrade to this XBox One whatever it will be called and someone will get my hand me down XBox One X, it is a win win for all involved. :)

I don't know how you address teachable moments with your kids (if any). But a good rule of thumb is the old saying "consider the source". So when some kids says "computers are stupid, Xbox is the way to go!" And that is the same kid that acts up in class, gets poor grades, and has broken the assigned chromebook several time by beating on it in frustration; what does this tell you? Is such behavior kinda dumb or stupid? Yes. There is no value in any of that and and that young man is not to be emulated. If this is wrong then the world is upside down. Political correctness be damned.
Now to having a PC and console both; that is not within the scope of the discussion. My point was listening to the console kids was silly. And he agreed.

I'll believe it when I see it. I'm convinced console gamers either don't understand or care about framerates.

I'll believe it when I see it. I'm convinced console gamers either don't understand or care about framerates.

I turned off my framerate monitor and now just play games, much more fun that way. :) (I did a bit of benchmarking when I picked up my 1080p 144hz panel and verified it was working good but, that was all.

Exactly. I’m a equal opportunity gamer. I have a ps4 pro, and a very nice high end gaming pc. I use both for different games and different play styles.

You don’t have to be one or the other. Assuming you have the money and the means, you can be both. Works great for me.

And to the whole stupid people are console gamers pc gamers are smart subject... Walmart sells more “gaming” pc’s than any other retailer. These days someone with more money than brains can buy a shit pc that has some led’s and stickers slapped on it. And think they are a pc gamer.

For those of us who still research, and build every pc from the ground up, we know the difference. It has nothing to do with being stupid.

are we at the point where we have filthy pre-built gaming PC peasants and glorious PC master race?

now there are tiers of PC gamers?

..and then he went back to playing FortNite on his PC, invalidating the entire anecdotal argument about console plebs being the dumber breed. ;)
Nope. Why would he need a console if he can play it on his PC?
This is also along the lines of the time he asked to upgrade to window10. (because kids at school said it is great) I handed him the wife's new laptop and asked him to tell me what he thinks about it. Not long after he reported "Man, windows 10 sucks!!" A very astute observation.

Last edited:
I turned off my framerate monitor and now just play games, much more fun that way. :) (I did a bit of benchmarking when I picked up my 1080p 144hz panel and verified it was working good but, that was all.

I wish I could do that. I can't handle it. I get fed up with my console games and find myself only playing the ones from Nintendo because they're 60fps. Well, that and God of War, which was in the 40's and 50's. 30fps just looks wrong to me.

I wish I could do that. I can't handle it. I get fed up with my console games and find myself only playing the ones from Nintendo because they're 60fps. Well, that and God of War, which was in the 40's and 50's. 30fps just looks wrong to me.
Man, I loved me some bloodborne and wasn’t bothered by the lower frame rate. I went back to it after playing some Dark Souls remastered and holy fuck I couldn’t do it.

Man, I loved me some bloodborne and wasn’t bothered by the lower frame rate. I went back to it after playing some Dark Souls remastered and holy fuck I couldn’t do it.

Ditto. After a few days I eventually get used to it, but for the first several hours it's torture. In spite of everything technically being the same speed, it feels like I'm underwater and in a fog. I played through every other Souls games on the PC, so that game especially stands out. And it's too bad because I think it's one of the best games in the series.

The PS4 slim which is basically the original PS4 power wise just sold a billion Spider-Man bundle copies on Black Friday ...why?

Cos Mums and Dads havent damn clue and just get the cheapest option. That's how this all works.

Back