Xbox One Slim Leaks, Will Be 40% Smaller Than Original

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
It basically looks just like the original Xbox One so this isn't all that exciting, but I guess it’s impressive how they got it down to nearly half the size of the launch console. I also think white electronics are gross, so here's hoping it also comes in the standard black.

Just one day before Microsoft’s press conference, an image of the Xbox One Slim (aka Xbox One S) has popped up (h/t NeoGAF). The Slim, which is code-named Edmonton, will have a 2TB hard drive and be significantly smaller (40%) than the original Xbox One. It’ll also support 4K video. We believe it’ll be out in the next couple of months, perhaps in August.

UHD Blu-ray support as well, according to leakers.

Can't normal bluray drives support UHD so long as they can focus on the different layers (BDXL)? The actual content deciphering is done at the firmware level or somewhere else up the chain. I'm asking, I don't know the answer.

Can't normal bluray drives support UHD so long as they can focus on the different layers (BDXL)? The actual content deciphering is done at the firmware level or somewhere else up the chain. I'm asking, I don't know the answer.
They could, I guess, but the new UHD spec requires new drives and players.

I thought the whole reason the fat Xbone was so fat was so they could put that big ass heat sink in there and get plenty of airflow. I thought they did it that way because they learned their lesson from the red ring of death from overheating 360s. What's changed to allow them to make it smaller?

I thought the whole reason the fat Xbone was so fat was so they could put that big ass heat sink in there and get plenty of airflow. I thought they did it that way because they learned their lesson from the red ring of death from overheating 360s. What's changed to allow them to make it smaller?
A die-shrink on the APU?

I'm rather tired of everything being a black box anymore. I am overall liking my Xbox One but, just like the original Xbox, it is a hulking black monolith. That and I have a thing for white electronics. I suppose I never got over whole "the future will be white and shiny" stage of the early 2000s that then transformed into "the future is dull and black but still shiny".

I am interested in a UHD Blue ray player, but I am sure I cannot justify the cost of this unit to replace a fully functional xbox one, good for late adopters tho

Enlighten me: why would or do people care about the Consoles physical size that it becomes a selling point?

Enlighten me: why would or do people care about the Consoles physical size that it becomes a selling point?
I don't get it either. I've never seen anyone bitching on a forum about "MAN THIS XBOX IS JUST TOO BIG", same goes for set top TV boxes, if you can't fit these things in your media console/tv stand that's your problem.

Because Microsoft doesn't need people to care about something for them to make it a selling point.

They could, I guess, but the new UHD spec requires new drives and players.

It's drives that can read triple-layer discs, the standard now requires 3 layer support, Sony announced the PS4's drive definitely can't, Original Xbox One? I have no idea.

A smaller Xbox One is all about cost reduction, if they can throw on some features at minimal cost they will.

Unlikely, Ultra HD Blu-ray and normal Blu-ray are two different executions, you'd need a new drive for UHD BR, this applies even to PC drives that can read up to qual layer BR's.

The difference arises from the fact that Blu-ray discs are 25GB per layer, UHD BR's are 33GB per layer.

Considering a GeForce 1080 can't handle 4K gaming with the visuals turned up without breaking a sweat. If we were to see 4K gaming as the standard on these upcoming console refreshes, the visual settings would have to be set to Fugly.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Considering a GeForce 1080 can't handle 4K gaming with the visuals turned up without breaking a sweat. If we were to see 4K gaming as the standard on these upcoming console refreshes, the visual settings would have to be set to Fugly.

I game at 4k on a GTX 970. That includes some games that have been run on the Xbox One and the PS4. While these aren't the most visually impressive games, it can be done. Examples:
Valkyria Chronicles - 4k @ 60fps
Diablo 3- 4k @ 60fps
Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed- 4k @ 60fps
Need for Speed Rivals- 4k @ 30fps

I'm not suggesting that they would support 4k gaming via this slim Xbox One, but the Scorpio version (and PS4 Neo) should be able to run less demanding titles at 4k. Even my Shield ATV can run some games at 4k (Beach Buggy Racing is the only one that I have that supports 4k). None of these titles are fugly, they just won't blow anyone away.

Can you imagine what this thing would look like in a couple years in a smokers living room?

People here are missing that the 4k support is for media only, it isn't intended for games. And this i say in reference to the Skorpio and Neo, as the xb1 isn't really suited for 1080.

It basically looks just like the original Xbox One so this isn't all that exciting, but I guess it’s impressive how they got it down to nearly half the size of the launch console. I also think white electronics are gross, so here's hoping it also comes in the standard black.

Just one day before Microsoft’s press conference, an image of the Xbox One Slim (aka Xbox One S) has popped up (h/t NeoGAF). The Slim, which is code-named Edmonton, will have a 2TB hard drive and be significantly smaller (40%) than the original Xbox One. It’ll also support 4K video. We believe it’ll be out in the next couple of months, perhaps in August.
The Xbox 360 started out white. What is standard about black?

Who am I kidding... I'm asking Megalith a question. If he ever comes back to respond to someone's post I think it will be a sign of the end of days.

I love my day1 Xbox because it looks like a piece of home theatre equipment. It perfectly matches with the profile of my Denon BDP. It looks sturdy and I love how they really did a good job making sure it had lots of cooling. Not sure I would like the slim version.

What's wrong with that? I haven't had an issue and haven't heard of any widespread issues...

it compresses the data so much that it looks blurry most times. I thought it was my network, but after a quick google found others with the same problem. Mind you, I have a steam link on the same network and it runs smooth.

If MS can introduce a Roku-style box that is $100 or less, offers typical media streaming capabilities and possibly support for XBLA titles, offers streaming from PC to this unit, and works with Xbox One wireless controllers, I'm in. I really want a Steam Link style device that works with those controllers. I'm looking at a $99 Kagaroo mini PC w/Windows 10 and an Xbox One Controller Wireless Adapter to make this happen using Steam In-Home streaming.

Gamestream has been an absolute disaster on my Shield.

it compresses the data so much that it looks blurry most times. I thought it was my network, but after a quick google found others with the same problem. Mind you, I have a steam link on the same network and it runs smooth.

Ah. Mine does that for the first 30 seconds or so then clears up.

But - PS4 doesn't do it at all. PS4 has taken all the media functions (and the audio out works a lot better, I actually get 7.1).

Ah. Mine does that for the first 30 seconds or so then clears up.

But - PS4 doesn't do it at all. PS4 has taken all the media functions (and the audio out works a lot better, I actually get 7.1).

i tried titanfall and destiny, and i can tell the difference when playing over the network. I just give up and play on the xbox. Not to mention the slight input lag.

Back