Xbox always on DRM is back.

I'm sure most of us here has had games on USB sticks where you can just directly run the exe without installing, hard to do that with a console. Actually has anyone tried that with a console?
If you've ever modded a Nintendo Wii then that's how you load games, from the USB stick.

Most newer PC's don't even have CD/DVD/BRD disk drives so they'd pretty much have to put games on USB sticks if there was actually a demand for physical media...which there really isn't much of. Just the occasional loud voice. Actually running something off one is slow as hell, but they work fine for installation. Ditto for consoles. Modded consoles can run things off of USB sticks, but they're slow as hell. You're better off copying the files over.

You can install games on external HDDs on consoles. Definitely been supported since PS4.

Most newer PC's don't even have CD/DVD/BRD disk drives so they'd pretty much have to put games on USB sticks if there was actually a demand for physical media...which there really isn't much of. Just the occasional loud voice. Actually running something off one is slow as hell, but they work fine for installation. Ditto for consoles. Modded consoles can run things off of USB sticks, but they're slow as hell. You're better off copying the files over.
To add to that most cases don't even come with drive bays anymore. So you stuck using a USB disc drive.

It's worth remembering that although Steam is DRM, at least you get 90 days to play offline before it kicks up a fuss. Not only that, many games can be played directly from the folder without even needing to launch steam.
If your without internet for 90 days then you have other things to contend with.
As for retro games, that's a whole other thing where PC shines again and you can easily roll a retro windows/ Linux build with emulation right upto Xbox360/PS3 era (and after that pretty much everything went X86 and is on PC aswell) .
When you consider one of the selling features of PS4/5 and Xbox was backwards compatibility and emulation .. I wonder does this always online DRM effect retro games too ?

PC users be like..

Ok that makes sense.
I think it was designed that way intentionally, not really a "limitation" of the PC platform.
Most PC game disks were just exe installers. It was definitely possible to run a game purely from a CD/DVD, but that would involve actually installing the game to a CD/DVD. but if you do that, then you lose one of the benefits of PC, faster loading times.
Nowadays it looks like console is finally catching up to PC in loading times.
I'm sure most of us here has had games on USB sticks where you can just directly run the exe without installing, hard to do that with a console. Actually has anyone tried that with a console?
It may be possible with the PS5. Looks like PS4 games can be ran from external devices. Makes me wonder if you can swap it with another PS5 and purchase a license to run it on your account/system. Without having to do anything else.

It's worth remembering that although Steam is DRM, at least you get 90 days to play offline before it kicks up a fuss. Not only that, many games can be played directly from the folder without even needing to launch steam.
If your without internet for 90 days then you have other things to contend with.
As for retro games, that's a whole other thing where PC shines again and you can easily roll a retro windows/ Linux build with emulation right upto Xbox360/PS3 era (and after that pretty much everything went X86 and is on PC aswell) .
When you consider one of the selling features of PS4/5 and Xbox was backwards compatibility and emulation .. I wonder does this always online DRM effect retro games too ?

PC users be like..

God damn that is beautiful.

Xflopped even more. 6+ months and no next gen exclusive games at all and now this. PS5 is vastly superior to the XSX where it counts! the SSD which is twice as fast ( it's 667gb btw not 615gb! ), controller. true 3D audio, upcoming PSVR2 and to all those 12tflops fan bois. It gave you 2-3 fps in RE8 which is fk all! XSX shouldn't have even been released until at least November this year and all those chips would have meant another 3mil PS5s!

Xflopped even more. 6+ months and no next gen exclusive games at all and now this. PS5 is vastly superior to the XSX where it counts! the SSD which is twice as fast ( it's 667gb btw not 615gb! ), controller. true 3D audio, upcoming PSVR2 and to all those 12tflops fan bois. It gave you 2-3 fps in RE8 which is fk all! XSX shouldn't have even been released until at least November this year and all those chips would have meant another 3mil PS5s!
Most tests show the Xbox Series X SSD is about the same in performance as the PS5. Technically the PS5 shouldn't have been released because it had a lot of problems.

Most tests show the Xbox Series X SSD is about the same in performance as the PS5. Technically the PS5 shouldn't have been released because it had a lot of problems.

To be fair most products these days are the same and the customer is the beta tester. Companies are even beta testing health products these days, that's how far it's gone.

It requires connection to the internet for a 1 time patch/emulator download for older games on the newer console. Not a big deal.

Video is more of PS5 vx Xbox in terms of how the compatibility with older games are handled. He's talking about installing old Xbox games on the new console.

So every required emulator needed for all existing older games aren't built into the Xbox? Well fuck me running that is unacceptable! /s
Console requires online activation! Consoles in warehouses = ewaste! NES didn't have this problem!

I want those 11 minutes of my life back

NOTE: It is not "always online DRM" as many are incorrectly stating.

How many people own a PC and do not have it connected to the internet?

Online always sucks for SP games.
Probably a very very very small % of PC users, which is also a very very very small % of Xbox owners as well I am sure, I am sure MS has the stats and numbers of how many XBox's are connected and how often to make a decisions like this.

Now, I am not saying I agree with this method of DRM either, as others noted, internet goes down, great to go play a game in SP mode, so vote with your wallet and refuse to buy this game or even an Xbox console....

Not sure what the difference is, but i unplugged my xsx from the internet and every single player game worked just fine. Assassins creed Valhalla, borderlands 3, resident evil 8, Resident evil 2 which he showed not working in the video worked fine for me without internet. Even gamepass games worked. he's making sound a lot worse than it is.

A well manufactured optical disk is a lot more stable over the years than a flash drive.

it still sucks, but again with the clickbait youtubers.

Let's not be so hasty. If the youtube thumbnail features a goofy, exaggerated expression, ends in a question mark, or includes the line "this NEEDS to be said" or "she did WHAT in the bathroom?!?" then it's important and well researched information you can trust and need to know immediately.

Seriously, this is every one of these assholes now. No end in sight. Can't we bring back firing squads?

Mematic_20210601_032935.jpg

A well manufactured optical disk is a lot more stable over the years than a flash drive.

Sure, but it doesn't exactly seem like optical disks have a long future at the moment. At least not in their current state. Definitely not on the PC in their current state. Only a tiny fraction of new PC's have one. Only 1/2 of the new consoles have 'em, too. I kinda doubt USB stick game distro will ever be a thing, but I could see the next-gen systems selling optical drives as a separate add-on.

All they would need to do is transition to bluray media for physical games, and 1 disc would be enough for 98.9% of games. A small few like cyberpunk would need 2.

And saying physical media is dead, Limited Run would disagree. They are doing great business with no end in sight. Still waiting on my ultimate box set of Monkey Island to come in.

All they would need to do is transition to bluray media for physical games, and 1 disc would be enough for 98.9% of games. A small few like cyberpunk would need 2.

And saying physical media is dead, Limited Run would disagree. They are doing great business with no end in sight. Still waiting on my ultimate box set of Monkey Island to come in.
Limited run is well limited run. They don't make that many copies of games. Most are a couple thousand units. It is a big target for scalper also.

Last edited:
Limited run is well limited run. They don't make that many copies of games. Most are a couple thousand units. It is a big target for scalper also.

You're wrong. The majority of their print runs are over a couple of thousand units. Switch collectors are crazy.

The big consoles developers don't really have a whole lot of motivation to push physical sales. The cries of a few thousand collectors are a drop in the bucket compared to what they make by controlling the prices of everything in their own proprietary stores.

even high density BR Disks are going to feel pretty dam slow loading anything all the time for loading the game, during the game and such.

is this for disc games only? Because it sounds even more stupid to check this on a game that you downloaded in the first place, not that it isn't annoying anyways.

NKD Yes. Digital versions not affected. because, you know, the system was online when you bought the game.

People are buying the new xbox instead of a ps5 or computer? Is that because their the only thing in stock?

lol

People are buying the new xbox instead of a ps5 or computer? Is that because their the only thing in stock?

I might have had some solo drunken Final Fantasy parties in my day, but nothing has ever come close to 4-player Halo on a projector. Xbox games are a thing, you know.

So I wanted to test something out. I busted out my Xbox 360 elite. Plugged it in. Did the updates. Updated Xbox live.

Then went and tried to find UMK3 (ultimate mortal kombat 3). For those not cool enough to know— this game ran into licensing rights issues all the way back in 2010. I had purchased it previously and if you don’t already own it you can’t purchase it.

I was able to download it play a few rounds and then realize that I don’t really care to play the game more for the day.

So I downloaded geometry wars 1 and 2 and had an absolute ball. Xbox I see you. You guys kick ass. For whatever reason that was a game I paid for that I knew wouldn’t work— but did.

Microsoft supporting a product they haven’t been able to sell for 11 years really impressed me.

Back