Xbox 360 vs PS3 controller: vote for your favorite

Which controller do you prefer, Xbox 360 or PS3?

• Xbox 360

Votes: 129 59.2%
  • PS3

Votes: 64 29.4%
  • No preference or don't know

Votes: 25 11.5%

• Total voters
I love the xbox controller over the ps3, but I play ps3 online. So i took my ps3 controller and put the thumbsticks from a 360 controller on it and its a whole lot better :) Took a little bit of effort because the ps3 controller is a pain once it's open, but its well worth the time.

so when it comes to controller usage I ALWAYS prefer parallel joysticks

then I also play fighting games, so there is that for the PS3

then the triggers, I actually don't like using triggers for shooters (console only, I play most shooters on PC anyway with a mouse) I prefer L1/R1 positioning for shooting and ADS. Then there is the fact that that its far easier to tap fire that button when using a semi auto gun, however the bumpers non the 360 pad are very stiff in comparison and hard to do that. I find the PS3 triggers are actually amazing for flicking with a middle finger to throw a grenade.

The whole design of the 360 controller doesnt work for me either, as I'm using it I tend to always notice it, and I'm shifting my hands constantly, whereas I'm always comfortable on a DS3. The worst is if I have to use a wireless 360 pad, as that battery pack just agitates the hell out of the fingers I have back there.

What doesn't make any sense, is my second favorite controller is the original fatty from the Xbox, that thing was awesome (other than the black white buttons)

I love the shape of the Xbox 360 controller, EXCEPT the damn wireless battery. Whoever thought of that design placement should lose their job.

Other than that, the controller seems like it is more equipped for human hands, not angular robots.

the stick on the PS3 has a dead zone in the middle making it hard to make small precise adjustments this wasnt always the case. I had a fat Ps3 and that controller had sticks that were super precise. Then I bought a slim and noticed I wasnt as accurate in FPS.

So in the end I prefer the 360 controller they have kept it constant and even improved it slightly over its life. Also it helps that the 360 controller is literally plug and play for the PC which makes them that much more versatile.

Neither, they both feel like they're made for people with hands much smaller than mine. I like that the PS controller has the analog sticks directly opposite each other, the main advantage for the 360 controller IMO is that most games these days only directly support the 360 controller or support it better if they do support other controllers.

I got tired of configuring my controller for each game and playing the "pick the right button" game when on-screen prompts come up but I couldn't get used to the analog stick placement on the 360 controller so I ended up with the logitech f710 controller. It's still a little small for my hands and the analog sticks are a little stiffer than I would like but I like the placement of the sticks and I can just pick up my controller and use it knowing that if a game tells me to press the green A button then that's actually the button I need to press.

As much as I dislike the current crop of controllers they're still much better than the old controllers without analog, the old analog joysticks that required constant recalibration, or even my old rumblepad that lacked analog triggers.

Also whatever you do don't google dreamcast and frontarmy NSFW.

Well I just had to cause you told me not to do it and I do not regret it one bit :D

But on to the topic at hand, I love the 360 controller. It is comfortable to play for hours on end. I have played the ps3 also quite a bit at friends and find the controller quite uncomfortable after extended periods. I was quite excited to see the concept ps4 pic floating around that looked quite similar to the 360 controller.

playstation controlers suck balls I have hated them since i first held them back in 1995 the dpad is horrible it is not even a dpad it is 4 buttons pretending to be a dpad and the handles get in the way.

dreamcast and xbox controlers are way better.

so is the SNES and sega genesis controler......Hell just about any contoler is better than the playstation controlers.

I replaced my ps2 and ps1 controlers with this logitec one if the ps3 had one of these I would thow out the standard ones they are better than the real playstation controlers in every way possible and how they should be made. it has a real dpad and the handles are smaller and don't get in the damn way its flatter in the back too. the shape is way better buttons have more spring on them they feel responsive and bounce back its like a keyboard with real switch keys vs a old crap membrane keyboard./ .

logitech_cf_ps3_03_thumb.jpg

They have one of these for Ps3 but it don't work right because sony is a bastard and made things like rumble and stuff only work with the controlers they make so I don't use it because I never know when it will not work. The ps2 version is contoler perfection.

Last edited:
I am surprised at how lopsided this poll turned out in favor of Xbox 360.

I'm not surprised. The Xbox 360 controller was designed with a lot of thought behind it. They placed the most used features in the easiest to reach spots. The PS3 controller is essentially just a PS1 controller with 2 joysticks slapped on the only spot they could fit them. Assuming the PS1 controller was ergonomically designed for use of the d-pad and buttons means the PS3 controller's 2 analog sticks are not in ergonomic positions. With the majority of games on the PS3 you use at least 1 analog stick and often times both analog sticks.

When playing games that use joysticks all logic points to the 360 controller being superior to the PS3 controller. The reasons some prefer the PS3 controller are not because of the design of the controller. It would be because they own a Playstation and got used to it, so using the 360 controller feels weird to them.

TL;DR version: after years of using the the abominations known as the PS3 controllers they have deformed their hands.

I got to mention the motioninjoy driver in these threads. You put your ps3 controller in xbox 360 emulation mode and it sets itself up just the same in games. I've used both enough that it isn't the least bit jarring when a game says "press A" or anything.

I barely use my consoles anymore, and the ps3 controller has become my go-to when I'm playing a PC game where I'd like to use a controller. To me the bad dpad of the xbox360 controller is a big deal. I am already going to play most of my games with kb&m, so for there to be this big flaw when I need a controller, means the subset of games I want to use it on is even smaller.

I prefer the ps3 controller, but as far as what works technically on a pc... it's gotta be the 360 controller.

Ps3 controller in every way. Better battery life, rumble, button feel, smoother more accurate analogs. The placement of the sticks doesn't matter to me either way.

360 controller felt like a step down for the xbox s controller. Everything suffered, the triggers are shorter the analogs are much stiffer and even feel like they have less range of movement. The d-pad and bumpers are just terrible. I also have a problem of the battery pack disconnecting briefly while gripping tightly on the back of the controller.

PS3 - PS3 games (not connected to any PC)
360 - action & adventure games on PC
M&KB - everything else on PC

I only like the 360 controller because it works on my PC so easily when I need it.

I don't have much experience with the PS3, but I prefer the PS2 over the 360 controller. The 360 controller is a pain to hold for more than an hour or so. I can hold the PS2 controller all day fine and I find the layout much better, in particular the thumb sticks and D pad.

i love ps3 controllers! ive been playing emulated ps2 games on my pc with it and i love it

360 gets my vote. Fits my large hands like a glove and I like the analog stick placement.

Have both. Always buy console only titles on the 360 if given the choice because I hate the PS3 controller. I have big hands and there's nowhere to put my friggin fingers on that tiny little toy. I end up with serious aches in my fingers.

And like the last guy, the analog stick placement is just better.

I just wish someone would make a 360 "clone" controller but with a proper D pad. Has the potential to be the best controller ever, especially if they make it multiple connections. USB and/or bluetooth connectivity. I would buy multiple controllers.

The interesting thing about the 360 controller is that the dpad is the only weakness (based on consensus opinion). I wonder if there are any 3rd party controllers that have fixed this problem. There is a Batarang controller, an Afterglow, Madcatz, and others that use a "+" sign dpad that might be better. And of course MS made a controller that has a "transforming" dpad, although I hear this one is not much better than the standard MS controller.

The interesting thing about the 360 controller is that the dpad is the only weakness (based on consensus opinion). I wonder if there are any 3rd party controllers that have fixed this problem. There is a Batarang controller, an Afterglow, Madcatz, and others that use a "+" sign dpad that might be better. And of course MS made a controller that has a "transforming" dpad, although I hear this one is not much better than the standard MS controller.

All of the respectable hardcore console gamers that I know claim the Sega Saturn dpad is the best.

Overall, I prefer the xbox controller. In my opinion, the xbox controller was made for americans (larger hands) vs the ps3 (smaller hands) for asians.

I wish they would put the PS3 joysticks on the Xbox controller. The Xbox sticks have way too much tension for me, takes far too much pressure to make fine adjustments. If they did I might be able to be less bad at console exclusive FPS stuff.

Overall, I prefer the xbox controller. In my opinion, the xbox controller was made for americans (larger hands) vs the ps3 (smaller hands) for asians.

People in the US have smaller hands on average (18.15 cm) than European countries (the UK is 18.75 cm and 0.5cm wider) where the PS is more popular, which is a bigger difference than the 0.45cm the US average is larger than the Chinese average. :p

The average age of Xbox user's is also much younger, (main group is 12-18, v. PS3's which is more 18-30/adult), so most likely the Xbox controller is designed for children's hands (which explains why it's gotten drastically smaller, and it also explains the colors and avatars). Added to that, the Xbox controller isn't as wide, just taller; so at most it would seem more it was made for Americans shorter yet proportionally wider hands.

I don't have a preference and if it were anything it would be the PS3 because i'm just more accustomed to it. I have a 360 for PC gaming but the directional pad is so awful it's almost useless. At least with the PS3 controller I have a fuctional D-pad and two joysticks.

People in the US have smaller hands on average (18.15 cm) than European countries (the UK is 18.75 cm and 0.5cm wider) where the PS is more popular, which is a bigger difference than the 0.45cm the US average is larger than the Chinese average. :p

The average age of Xbox user's is also much younger, (main group is 12-18, v. PS3's which is more 18-30/adult), so most likely the Xbox controller is designed for children's hands (which explains why it's gotten drastically smaller, and it also explains the colors and avatars). Added to that, the Xbox controller isn't as wide, just taller; so at most it would seem more it was made for Americans shorter yet proportionally wider hands.

lol that explains a lot if it's really true. My hands I feel are pretty large and I feel more comfortable with the PS3 controller.

I voted for the xbox 360 controller as a better multiplatform genre controller. Obviously for fighting games I feel like you definitively need the PS3's directional gamepad. But for shooters especially xbox feels just more natural in my hands, I also like the firm trigger buttons on the 360 controller better.

As of now we have about 200 votes and the polling result is clear:
360 60%
PS3 30%
either 10%

2 to 1 ratio in favor of 360 controller. Keep those votes coming. 360 fans: if you use an aftermarket controller with a decent dpad please chime in.

All of the respectable hardcore console gamers that I know claim the Sega Saturn dpad is the best.

I love the Saturn controller and is probably the best I've ever used. The wireless ones are nice too but they are a bit heavy and need LoS.

Out of these two I prefer some games with the 360 and others with the PS3. Just never could play any sports games with the 360 controller for some reason.

I love the Saturn controller and is probably the best I've ever used. The wireless ones are nice too but they are a bit heavy and need LoS.

Out of these two I prefer some games with the 360 and others with the PS3. Just never could play any sports games with the 360 controller for some reason.

The Sega Saturn gamepad is more of a specific accessory like a flightstick, but speaking of best controller sorry bitches, you're all wrong.

saturn_b.jpg

The Sega Saturn gamepad is more of a specific accessory like a flightstick, but speaking of best controller sorry bitches, you're all wrong.

saturn_b.jpg

5391116085_387b5bde3c_z.jpg

Minus the uncomfortable corners jabbing you because you've been playing for hours, I did take a liking to the NES controller back when I was younger.

Back