XBOX 360 to computer monitor

xTABx7

Gawd
I have a dell 2005 and was just wondering what the best way everyone thinks hooking the 360 up to it would be? can i do 1080 in this combo? i'm a total newb to the HD area.

on a side note, i'm getting my 360 for free by going on a certain MTV show in downtown manhatten on the 21st because a family member is a producer. they will probably take 40 or so kids off the street, but i can imagine you would have to get there early.

also I havent seen anyone post anything about this site yet.... www.hex168.com basically you photochop and are entered to win. my family member says the grand prize is alot bigger than that site claims. I'm not promoting this site or anything, just have heard a ton about it and its on a bunch of other forums.

The X360 (apparently) will have a VGA adapter - so you can plug it into the VGA port of the 2005, however.... consoles almost always look like shit plugged into a computer monitor, so don't get your hopes up too high.

steviep said:
The X360 (apparently) will have a VGA adapter - so you can plug it into the VGA port of the 2005, however.... consoles almost always look like shit plugged into a computer monitor, so don't get your hopes up too high.

Thats because most console games are 640x480...

360 supports 1920x1080 and 1280x720, so we'll have to see.

hmm, i look foward to trying it out. i dread the price of the new 360 games though

Even with higher resolutions, and the excellent Genesis decoder inside the monitor, I don't see consoles providing a better picture than they do hooked up to a TV.

well the reason I ask is I have a 51 inch rear projection tv, but its from before the HD days. So i was curious as to what my better option would be. I cant imagine you would be able to see many improvments from xbox to xbox360 if you dont increase the resolution.. but correct me if i'm wrong.

One thing I would be careful of is, that monitor you specified has a 16:10 aspect ratio, if im not mistaken ? The HD resolutions the 360 is going to support are 16:9, im guessing your monitor will still be able to display the images, what I am not sure on, is if there will be noticeable stretching or black bars.

your right its 16:10 but it just places a small black bar on the top/bottom

Draax, I own a 2005FPW. The monitor is great for stuff like this. You can either stretch the picture, or the better option is to allow the slight black bars. When watching a 16:9 movie on this screen, the black bars are quite hard to notice.

xtabx7 - if your projection TV has progressive scan, hook it up to the TV. Nothing beats playing a console gaming on a couch behind a big TV. While the game will look a tad bit crisper on the monitor, it won't be nearly as big. 480p is still respectable. However, that said... I'm sure you know about the issues with playing any console on a projection TV :)

To clear things up, it SHOULD look fine using a VGA adapter. Since it's rumored there will be a first party one, its safe to assume that it would beef up the resolution. However, do not bother hooking it up through the standard RCA inputs... it would look like crap.

EDIT: Forgot to chime in on the aspect ratio problem. Being that the 2005fp is 16:10 instead of 16:9, you have two options. Have black bars on the top and bottem, or have the game stretch a bit.

I dont own the monitor so I was not sure, how it displays different aspect ratios. I have seen some monitors that display the bars as a 60% grey, and I find that annoying as hell.

My girlfriend's projection TV does that to non-standard resolutions and it does drive me crazy as well. But the dell displays it in black, so it's not so bad at all. Yes, the XBox will have a VGA adapter officially... but there's a possibility that it won't be available for launch. That said, a big screen projection TV would still give a better experience. Especially if you've got surround sound.

Viper87227 said:
To clear things up, it SHOULD look fine using a VGA adapter. Since it's rumored there will be a first party one, its safe to assume that it would beef up the resolution. However, do not bother hooking it up through the standard RCA inputs... it would look like crap.

I hooked my current xbox up via rca, it was so bad i was like embarresed that i tried it lol

i dont think my big screen is progressive, which is what makes me wanna play it on my monitor

Find out if the TV supports progressive scan (i.e. hook up a DVD player that supports progressive scan, and enable it... if the picture rolls, it doesn't, if the picture stabalizes and looks better, it works!). I'd still choose the big TV. lol

ummm...how come everyone is talking about the "rumored vga connector". Microsoft released their list of launch accessories for the X360 a long time ago. If any of you actually bothered to look you would have seen and HD-VGA cable listed for $39.99. End of discussion.

P.S. I'll let you know how the X360 looks on my 2005fpw shortly after the launch (the sunday after when I get back to school from thanksgiving break). As I plan on picking up an X360, VGA cable, and one game...though that one game wont be Oblivion now.

Erasmus354 said:
ummm...how come everyone is talking about the "rumored vga connector". Microsoft released their list of launch accessories for the X360 a long time ago. If any of you actually bothered to look you would have seen and HD-VGA cable listed for $39.99. End of discussion.

P.S. I'll let you know how the X360 looks on my 2005fpw shortly after the launch (the sunday after when I get back to school from thanksgiving break). As I plan on picking up an X360, VGA cable, and one game...though that one game wont be Oblivion now.

Dude, don't be trivialising the matter with facts.

umm....the 360 has native VGA support....has everyone been sitting under a rock? One of the cables that are gonna be sold at launch for the 360 is a HD VGA cable....

xTABx7
Your monitor will be the better choice for gaming on the 360 with the VGA adapter. The 2005 will provide a sharper display than the older big screen. The main issues you will likely experience will be the bars on the top and bottom, as noted earlier, and also the fact that the monitor has a much higher display resolution than the 360 will be outputting at first.

Because the resolution on the monitor is actually higher than 720p and 1080i, it will upconvert the 720p or 1080i display to it's native resolution (I don't know what that is) The games that come out using 1080i, if there are any planned, will look a 'little' better than the 720p ones because they are closer to the monitors native resolution.

If you can, run a game that you have on the PC at 1280x768/720 if you can and it will give you a rough aproximation of the way the 360 will look.

If you have any other questions, let em rip.

I dont know about you guys but virtual tennis on Dreamcast looked amazing on a VGA monitor. I cant wait to see the 360 on a monitor....well 360 in my living room in general I cant wait for either,

Xtab, other than minor upconversion issues, and those small black bars you mentioned, you should be lovin' it strong when you get your 360.

lesman said:
umm....the 360 has native VGA support....has everyone been sitting under a rock? One of the cables that are gonna be sold at launch for the 360 is a HD VGA cable....

Now that you bring it up, i recall hearing this... but only vaugly. Got a link?

That is because there has not been built in hardware/software support for a VGA apapter. The 360 should look just fine on your PC monitor, assuming your PC monitor is a decent one.
Plus, you can play in 1020*720p just fine on your monitor.

It's so nice that Microsoft has produced a first party VGA adapter. The 3rd party ones released for the XBOX were OK, some better than others, but all of them were more than $40. Also, since MS is producing it, you know it's done right.

I'm looking forward to playing my XBOX360 on a computer monitor. It will sure look better than my 27" Daewoo TV. heh

Storm1000000
http://www.openxbox360.com

Viper87227 said:
Now that you bring it up, i recall hearing this... but only vaugly. Got a link?
Well, I won't provide a link, because it's full-fledged official and hasn't been a rumor for like 4 months now. Look on ign.com, teamxbox.com, xbox360.com, xbox.com, gamestop.com, walmart.com, toysrus.com, bestbuy.com, or wherever else. It's an official cable for the 360, it will be sold in full availability and will have NO problems at all, it's not like a "box" or adapter or anything. There are no "boxes" of such for the 360 for audioi/video output, it is all cables. For instance, imagine the standard composite cable that comes with xbox or gamecube or PS2.....but imagine 3 different versions of such. There's the standard cable, with all composite outputs, then there's the HD component cable, with component video, composite video, and optical and composite sound, then there's the third cable, the HD VGA cable, with a VGA video output, composite and optical sound outputs. Simply look, there's no need to search or wonder, and there's no rumors, either, it's all official! :)

lesman said:
Well, I won't provide a link, because it's full-fledged official and hasn't been a rumor for like 4 months now. Look on ign.com, teamxbox.com, xbox360.com, xbox.com, gamestop.com, walmart.com, toysrus.com, bestbuy.com, or wherever else. It's an official cable for the 360, it will be sold in full availability and will have NO problems at all, it's not like a "box" or adapter or anything. There are no "boxes" of such for the 360 for audioi/video output, it is all cables. For instance, imagine the standard composite cable that comes with xbox or gamecube or PS2.....but imagine 3 different versions of such. There's the standard cable, with all composite outputs, then there's the HD component cable, with component video, composite video, and optical and composite sound, then there's the third cable, the HD VGA cable, with a VGA video output, composite and optical sound outputs. Simply look, there's no need to search or wonder, and there's no rumors, either, it's all official! :)

So it is... So it is...

It's also $40 :mad:

Thems the Canadian prices there steve-o, thar be math to do if ye want the USD prices...

/yarrrrrr

Kahnvex said:
Thems the Canadian prices there steve-o, thar be math to do if ye want the USD prices...

/yarrrrrr

Considering he lives in the same Canadian city as myself, im guessing American prices are not going to be all that useful to him.

reasons consoles generally look like crap on monitors is A. interlaced....every run a interlaced resolution on your CRT?scary thing B. 640x480

$50 CAD = $40 USD... either way, damn that's like a monster cable! lol

I did not know that you two were canucks so my apologies for accusing you of the need to engage in mathmatics.

Looks like I needs to be doin' the math meself there Draaxsy, $42.30 usd of me gold for the VGA cables says XE the universal currency converter.

/yarrrrrrrr

Looking at the walmart site for 360 accessories, I'm a little miffed that they upped the prices so much for controllers and cables and such. $50 for wireless, $40 for wired, and they want a cool hundred bucks for the wireless adapter that plugs into the back of the thing.

Thank goodness I thought to provide my entertainment center with Cat-5 lanned up goodness.

And you know, even if you didn't want the premium bundle, the cost to make the core system equal later on to what the premium includes in the box is absurd.

Harddrive = $100
wireless controller = $50
Component cables = $40
New headset = $20

For the core system, by the time you buy a memory card and (HD cables if you have an hdtv) you've hit $90 extra bucks. May as well take the $10 hit and tax on $399.99 and upgrade to the premium bundle.

at least thats how I look at it.

It doesn't do wifi out of the box? $100 US!! Oh shit... that's bad.

1280x1024dash.jpg

My German is not what it should be, perhaps a translation ?

Qwerty said:
(Xbox custom res. pic.)

SHWEEET! Now all I need is Mous and Keyboard support, and I'll, be um... some what less of a PC only fan boy... :p But seriously, it better have KB and Mouse support.

Back