Xbox 360 GPU Going 65nm, TSMC To Benefit

HardOCP News

[H] News
DigiTimes, citing sources from the Chinese-language Commercial Times, says the Xbox 360 GPU will get a 65nm die shrink in the fall. According to the report, TSMC projected sales contribution from the move to 65nm would amount to 5% during mid-2007.

The paper cited the sources as saying that an engineering version of the 65nm-made Xenos has been sent out and production will start in May. TSMC projected sales contribution from 65nm would amount to 5% during mid-2007.

ZOMG!!!! PS3 hater! Now you are posting positive 360 news, what the heck!?

LOL, sorry, I had to get that out of the way for thr trolls ;). This is cool (pun not intended!), but I just bought my 360 Premium... yesterday :). I figure if mine gives up the ghost, I'll have the extended warranty anyway, and maybe I'll even get a 65nm chip in my replacement :p.

How will we know that we are buying a 65nm Xbox 360? I hope the put something on the box
that says it is a 65nm, or that they tell us what specific UPC or model numbers the 65nm 360s
are.

How will we know that we are buying a 65nm Xbox 360? I hope the put something on the box
that says it is a 65nm, or that they tell us what specific UPC or model numbers the 65nm 360s
are.

unlikely. most consumers wouldnt know wtf it meant anyway, and ms doesnt want "bad" stock to be noticeable on the shelf either.

They do show the 'born on' date on the box, so you can know when your system was built. If you're keen on getting a 65nm, then look for the box built after they go that route.

I just traded in 2 360's to get an elite and now this is announced. I'm a bit disappointed.

I had been hoping that the elite version would have the smaller processor but it doesn't. I upgraded still but thought that the smaller core may be released much later rather than sooner.

The ultimate 360 would be the smaller core, larger hard drive, HDMI output and integrated HD-DVD drive. I'd upgrade again for that. :)

They do show the 'born on' date on the box, so you can know when your system was built. If you're keen on getting a 65nm, then look for the box built after they go that route.

The "born on" date is actually printed on the system itself...not the box. So realistically you wouldn't know if you were buying a machine with the smaller chip die.

So does anyone have any real data on the PS3 transition to .65.

I've read a couple of IBM reports that say they were already producing the Cell at .65 back in March. If this is the case that is a good lead on MS, I wonder how long until we see PS3s on the shelf that have them in it.

The "born on" date is actually printed on the system itself...not the box. So realistically you wouldn't know if you were buying a machine with the smaller chip die.

You could do some sleuthing though with the serial number.

That's true...I didn't think of that. Although depending on where you buy the system you wouldn't even be able to do that since some retailers have the systems behind the counter.

I've read a couple of IBM reports that say they were already producing the Cell at .65 back in March. If this is the case that is a good lead on MS, I wonder how long until we see PS3s on the shelf that have them in it.

Even if they do it's not as big as a deal (at least I would think) b/c the PS3 is damn near dead silent. The only good part/bad part of the PS3 is that is basically also a personal heater (especially in a small room.)

Even if they do it's not as big as a deal (at least I would think) b/c the PS3 is damn near dead silent. The only good part/bad part of the PS3 is that is basically also a personal heater (especially in a small room.)

Correct, my only thinking to this line was since they appear to have the diode cost getting under control. the add cost reduction to their per unit basis with a die shrink. Would be most beneficial to their bottom line.

This may also lead to a cost reduction to the consumer, doubtful but possible.

I'm mainly concerned that Sony stays healthy, because Sony produces 99% of the console RPGs I like to play. Although, Wii seems to be picking a few items up.

I dunno...it seems that Sony has been slowly loosing that grasp on the RPGs that were only found on the PS2. It's starting to look like more and more companies are looking at the 360 as either an alternative or as another option (in addition to the PS3.)

I'm guessing before the end of the year and it will most likely coincide with a price reduction of some sort.

I really hope that the die shrink will lead to a heat/noise reduction. My biggest problem (well, it really isn't that big) with the 360 is that it is loud as crap.

Back