Xbox 360 Disc Replacement Program

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft says that if, for any reason, you have a damaged Microsoft Xbox 360 game disc, the company will replace it for $20. This only applies to games published by Microsoft but it is still a lot better than having to repurchase your damaged game.

This program only applies to games where Microsoft is the publisher, and is subject to availability. To check and see if your game is available for replacement, please review which Microsoft products currently fall under this program here.

That sounds good, only thing is that how many people will be able to take advantage of this? Short of an accident how many people damage their disc quickly after buying a game? One would think that by the time most people get enough damage to a disc for it not to play anymore that it would either not be on the market anymore or would be a $20 or less game anyway. Or is the Xbox 360 eating that many games that this would be something that many people would need?

Maybe the ultimate goal is to eliminate 'fair-use' policies: "Look, we know our Uber-DRM prevents you from making a backup, but you don't need one anymore since we'll provide a replacement... For a *cough* nominal fee, of course."

Hacking, wheezing asthmatic attack more likely - $20 is ridiculous. A more reasonable cost would be $5-10+ nominal shipping (which could be done for next to nothing; Netflix does it all the time). There's NO WAY a slab of plastic costs them $20 to produce. It's not like they're saying something like "show us a copy/scan of your disc, manual, or sales receipt as proof" - they are requiring shipment of the "damaged" disc.

Oh, and no like with any other console on the market, the 360 is not rip-proof; there's been disc images floating around since just after the release of the console (long before any mod chips were available).

My local rental store has machinery that polishes discs so perfectly, it is as if they were brand new. It's locally owned, and I'm not sure if the bigger guys - like Blockbuster, even bother to fix discs.

Microsoft has been doing this for years. Back in the days, I accidentally rolled my chair over my Windows 95 CD damaging it. I contacted Microsoft. They had me read them a couple numbers from the disc and packaging. Then, I gave them my credit card information. $20.00 and 2 weeks later, I had a brand new (retail) copy of Windows 95. Of course, back then, they would just send you a new copy. Now, they only send you a replacement disc…

Hacking, wheezing asthmatic attack more likely - $20 is ridiculous. A more reasonable cost would be $5-10+ nominal shipping (which could be

$5.00 shipped is ok (though even that is probably a bit high, given that the disk costs less than a buck to make, shipping is less than a buck and I'm sure paddedmailers are less than fifty cents when bought in bulk).

For that price, I think I'd just grab a copy off the web and burn a new disk (assuming xbox 360 games can be copied).

$5.00 shipped is ok (though even that is probably a bit high, given that the disk costs less than a buck to make, shipping is less than a buck and I'm sure paddedmailers are less than fifty cents when bought in bulk).

For that price, I think I'd just grab a copy off the web and burn a new disk (assuming xbox 360 games can be copied).

but it takes lots of money to make the game though :/

Gamestop has a "GPG" that covers disks (new or used) up to a year for a maximum of $3. Just FYI

but it takes lots of money to make the game though :/
Hello ? McFly ? The hypothetical customer in this scenario - ALREADY BOUGHT THE GAME. Are you following along ? And the media is damaged. So it's awfully big of MS to provide replacement media that likely costs no more than $1 shipped, at a $19 profit.

I think this qualifies Gates for sainthood. Unreal.

They should make it a tad lower, but not too low that people can afford to lose their disks or be rough on them.

are 360s, still scratching discs?

Yeah, if you pick it up and move it around while it's reading a disc. Try this: Put a DVD-R into your burner on your pc and start burning something to it... while it's burning and spun up to the highest "x", take your computer, lift it up, and tilt it on its side. If the disc isn't scratched, i'd be impressed :)

I can't link to it from work, but I believe thatgogamer.com has a disk resurfacing machine that may or may not be as good as pro versions. Might be a good idea for [H] consumer to do a test. I know I have a few distks here and there that could use a good shalacking ;)

I can't link to it from work, but I believe thatgogamer.com has a disk resurfacing machine that may or may not be as good as pro versions. Might be a good idea for [H] consumer to do a test. I know I have a few distks here and there that could use a good shalacking ;)

Movie rental places also has them.

Back